The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The DumbBrexit / #Wexit thread

JM_

1 minute ago, Bizarre said:

Or, it could be the incentive why would I pay $10,000 a year if my kid isn't getting a good "grade"? 

Most public school teachers I had were completely useless as well.

Many private schools had to make a policy where gifts from parents can not be over 100 .00 etc..

Some parents were giving Gucci purses etc.... to reward their kids teachers.....

I think public school teachers can be hit and miss.... some amazing.. some average and some weak...

Like most trades and professions TBH...

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bizarre said:

I've read studies where private schools actually have lower average grades on standardized tests, however higher average grade marks. Perhaps it's just paying for an easier admission into a top University. 

A recently published study suggests public-school students have an edge over private-school students when they enter university.

The study compared the marks of first-year students, from 110 B.C. high schools, enrolled in first-year physics classes at the University of B.C. between 2002 and 2006.

Students from public schools in Metro Vancouver outperformed those who had graduated from private schools and students from elsewhere in B.C. The study also found that east Vancouver graduates did better than west Vancouver students.

The study, published in the International Journal of Science Education, was conducted by George Bluman of UBC’s math department, and Thomas Tiedje of the University of Victoria’s electrical and computer engineering department. Their research contradicts the Fraser Institute’s annual report cards, which regularly rank a dozen or so college-preparatory independent schools above all others and suggests west-side schools are more successful than east-side schools. Read the Sun story here.

Bluman has reported this same finding for many years.

https://vancouversun.com/news/staff-blogs/public-schools-better-than-private-schools-study-suggests

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

A recently published study suggests public-school students have an edge over private-school students when they enter university.

The study compared the marks of first-year students, from 110 B.C. high schools, enrolled in first-year physics classes at the University of B.C. between 2002 and 2006.

Students from public schools in Metro Vancouver outperformed those who had graduated from private schools and students from elsewhere in B.C. The study also found that east Vancouver graduates did better than west Vancouver students.

The study, published in the International Journal of Science Education, was conducted by George Bluman of UBC’s math department, and Thomas Tiedje of the University of Victoria’s electrical and computer engineering department. Their research contradicts the Fraser Institute’s annual report cards, which regularly rank a dozen or so college-preparatory independent schools above all others and suggests west-side schools are more successful than east-side schools. Read the Sun story here.

Bluman has reported this same finding for many years.

https://vancouversun.com/news/staff-blogs/public-schools-better-than-private-schools-study-suggests

This may be what I read I am not sure, but basically the same conclusion. Thanks for the read.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, haton said:

It's good that you're into politics so i'll encourage you to take some of BC with you but leave the coast. They belong with Quebec and the Maritimes.

Lol oh don't worry once I'm PM I would not forget what the B.C province did to the Canadian people.....cause this hurts them just as much. 

The east would be taxed for bleeping heavy and brought to heel

Quebec would take what ever I give them and smile....

i will be a trump version of Harper but I'll use the forum instead of Twitter and no wars but more business and don't care who I piss off cause my people come first.....:gocan:

damn I'm stoned lmfao

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yes sir it will be. BC school systems were butchered for 17 years.

and they're being fixed now.  But Kenney's moving towards and Ontario west standard.  Look in to it.  Seriously.  Then also look at the proposal for health care.  By 2025 it's going to be REALLY ugly for education and health care in Alberta

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

and they're being fixed now.  But Kenney's moving towards and Ontario west standard.  Look in to it.  Seriously.  Then also look at the proposal for health care.  By 2025 it's going to be REALLY ugly for education and health care in Alberta

NDP are investing in school construction but do nothing on the funding that goes towards schools.  NDP actually trying to strip BC teachers contracts right now back to CC levels of poor service to kids.

• Upvote 2

Your right and that's thx to oil prices.....which wouldn't have dropped if b.c would have just put Canada first....

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I lived in Alberta in the golden years..

Economy was great and the city of champions street sign entering edmonton was accurate......  Wayne was king of the city.  Esks were a dynasty. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

NDP are investing in school construction but do nothing on the funding that goes towards schools.  NDP actually trying to strip BC teachers contracts right now back to CC levels of poor service to kids.

Incorrect, to an extent.  Negotiations start in earnest next year and that is the year pegged by the NDP as the year they start correcting much of the problems as was their mandate.  They were always up front about that and judging by their ability thus far to engage in completing their elected mandate I am thinking they'll do what they can.

But at days end they had always promised the major moves would occur during the next round of contract talks slated this coming year

3 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Your right and that's thx to oil prices.....which wouldn't have dropped if b.c would have just put Canada first....

lol what?

Sorry what?

You cannot be serious can you?

Not sure you can ever say "business sense" ever again.

Please show me where BC sits on the OPEC board that effectively dictates oil prices across the globe.  As well, show me how BC chased investors towards far more lucrative markets with far lower production costs in the energy downturn and subsequent record supplies.

I am amazed because for the longest time I thought Notley had done all that, then Trudeau.  Now it's BC.  Man...it's like hot potato with the facts up in here 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Incorrect, to an extent.  Negotiations start in earnest next year and that is the year pegged by the NDP as the year they start correcting much of the problems as was their mandate.  They were always up front about that and judging by their ability thus far to engage in completing their elected mandate I am thinking they'll do what they can.

But at days end they had always promised the major moves would occur during the next round of contract talks slated this coming year

But if the pipeline went threw they could have fixed all this already and gave teachers raises and kept them happy

lol what?

Sorry what?

You cannot be serious can you?

Not sure you can ever say "business sense" ever again.

Please show me where BC sits on the OPEC board that effectively dictates oil prices across the globe.  As well, show me how BC chased investors towards far more lucrative markets with far lower production costs in the energy downturn and subsequent record supplies.

I am amazed because for the longest time I thought Notley had done all that, then Trudeau.  Now it's BC.  Man...it's like hot potato with the facts up in here 

JT jumped in cause you guys raised such a fuss....if you thought about Canada first , everyone woul be doing great.....what can't you see?

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Lol

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

What are you talkin about.

BC teachers contracts ended June 30 2019.  Teachers are currently out of a contract.

Will the NDP lock out teachers like CC did...   or will the NDP just deduct 10 percent off teachers wages like CC did to goad teachersi into striking...

Negotiations have been going on... or not going for a long time... with the NDP trying to strip concessions BC teachers won in the supreme court.

BC NDP party is a joke.  Just like the BC liberal party is.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

But if the pipeline went threw they could have fixed all this already and gave teachers raises and kept them happy

the pipeline was NEVER going through (note, THROUGH) because the former government so horiffically botched the consultation and environmental process as was decided by the damned courts. Seriously....if the pipeline went though it would have meant that Alberta and the former feds did it right.  But they didn't.  So now we're here.

5 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

JT jumped in cause you guys raised such a fuss....if you thought about Canada first , everyone woul be doing great.....what can't you see?

JT jumped in because what?  No.  He jumped in because Alberta was threatening the entire nation.  Your revisionist history is not only baffling but bordering on the stupid.  He rewrote the laws to ensure that the process was done correctly (it is/was) he bought a pipeline to ensure it went through and was lambasted for it and more.

he didn't jump in for BC he jumped in because of all of the petulant whining coming from your neck of the woods.  The worst part is, you guys can't even give him basic credit for any of it.

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 2

the pipeline was NEVER going through (note, THROUGH) because the former government so horiffically botched the consultation and environmental process as was decided by the damned courts. Seriously....if the pipeline went though it would have meant that Alberta and the former feds did it right.  But they didn't.  So now we're here.

JT jumped in because what?  No.  He jumped in because Alberta was threatening the entire nation.  Your revisionist history is not only baffling but bordering on the stupid.  He rewrote the laws to ensure that the process was done correctly (it is/was) he bought a pipeline to ensure it went through and was lambasted for it and more.

he didn't jump in for BC he jumped in because of all of the petulant whining coming from your neck of the woods.  The worst part is, you guys can't even give him basic credit for any of it.

Credit for doing nothing to solve the problem? Smoke another one bud.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

What are you talkin about.

BC teachers contracts ended June 30 2019.  Teachers are currently out of a contract.

Will the NDP lock out teachers like CC did...   or will the NDP just deduct 10 percent off teachers wages like CC did to goad teachersi into striking...

Negotiations have been going on... or not going for a long time... with the NDP trying to strip concessions BC teachers won in the supreme court.

BC NDP party is a joke.  Just like the BC liberal party is.

Sorry, was revising it.  The original post was meant to say negotiations were to start in the next year post election.  Which was their entire mandate.  That's on me.

Negotiations started in February with the first major mediated talks in June and have continued.  The bulk of the issues atm are coming from the mass hiring due to the Supreme Court rulings and the need for wage freezes because of the nonsense the previous government committed to.  Or so I am reading.  Class size still maintains a strong feature in talks as it should.

The stripped concessions you speak of are the ones that the former government gave BC teachers that they never asked for.  but now don't want to give up.  I'm pretty much pro teacher but even they said that they got a lot in the last round of negotiations but not much of it was what they asked for, that it was instead a finger pointing moment for the government to say they got money, they got days off etc etc etc now they want more.

It doesn't and never will end.  That's the nature of unions and governments

• Cheers 1

Just now, Moose Nuckle said:

Credit for doing nothing to solve the problem? Smoke another one bud.

is that what you read new kid?

Which formerly banned account are you I wonder?

Seems like he did as much as was humanly possible within the law to try to get things moving.  Seems pipe is being laid now, seems transfers to AB were increased.  Seems like things are moving forward but you're still whining.  When will it be enough?

Damn I got king to turn on hippie. 

I think I lived up to the name ha

Jesus I want what your smoking. 

B.c is the reason it went to Supreme Court ....