The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The DumbBrexit / #Wexit thread

JM_

23 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

What about the clear cutting of mountain sides? I know that's illegal but go up white swan road down by canal flats and you'll see it plain to day. 

Oil and logging arnt much different cause I know of a few areas that haven't been replanted like your suppose to do after logging an area lol

jesus. Both are bad for the world but we need both ha and both provinces need the money earned from them....

Who's wood is up White Swan? Canfor? If it is private land outside a license it can be clear cut. If you drive thru Yahk all that wood on the east side of the road is from private land. If you get as far as Creston look to the north and you will see the mountain side above Wynndel is bare. Private land. 

19 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

We are but for some reason Alberta gets attacked while some here want to praise BC. I'm sorry but is totally hypocritical...many wildfires because of logging companies not cleaning up after they move on. That's a burden to all of you taxpayers in BC.

What cleanup are logging companies not doing? I know that burning waste piles have been cut back or even eliminated. In the 80's & 90's I was involved in control burns to clear up waste. Enviromentalists didn't like that. Like everywhere the combustable material in the bush was building up over the years because of how efficient fire crews were in stopping fires. A lot of fires now are let burn by forestry.   

39 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

So many intelligent/brave canadiansn now speaking out / standing up for our country....

More than 20 Indigenous youth are blocking the entrance to the Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources on Blanshard Street to deliver a message to the Minister Michelle Mungall and Premier John Horgan.

The protesters delivered a letter to Mungall that stated Indigenous youth were not only inheriting a climate crisis “driven by fossil fuel projects like [Coastal GasLink] CGL, but Canada’s legacy of colonization, genocide and gendered violence against Indigenous women, girls and two-spirit people.” In other words, they are supporting Wet’suwet’en sovereignty and opposing RCMP actions.

The letter includes a list of the four demands made by the Hereditary Chiefs of the Wet’suwet’en Nation, including ceasing construction of CGL’s pipeline, that RCMP withdrawn for the area and that all levels of government, RCMP and CGL respect the Nations sovereignty and refrain from using force to access the land or to remove supporters.

https://www.abbynews.com/news/protesters-block-entrance-to-victoria-government-building-to-support-wetsuweten-first-nation/

honest question King: why do you put the rights or demands of the heredity chiefs as paramount? 

53 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Well in a way Alberta does do more.....look threw the last two papers and how much Alberta affects b.c in some areas....

if alberta is doing well so is the rest of Canada and I wonder why......

yet...Alberta wasn't;t doing well but eh rest of the country was for the most part.

Looks like that argument can be "through'n" out as we go "threw" your business acumen again

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

honest question King: why do you put the rights or demands of the heredity chiefs as paramount? 

Colonists seized first nations lands in the 1800's and put in place the Indian Act in 1876 to put their own legal system in place......

I think it is essential now that we honor the house chiefs that are primarily concerned with being stewards of their first nations territories...

We have destroyed so much of our provinces natural environment through the pursuit of economy .... maybe it is time for us all to think about being stewards of our province wilderness......    The way we are going now there will be nothing left to protect in our province.......

We have so much to learn from Indigenous people in our province about how to live together with our natural environment.

I think it is time to listen to our house chiefs and work together with them on not losing more of our province.   

Reconciliation means respectfully working together with first nations.... and this must include hereditary house chiefs.....

The indian act has always been a failure. Look at where it has gotten us.  Cultural genocide. 

As with all things....balance.

While it would be nice to have unanimous agreement from all parties, that's just not the way the world works. Acceptance by a large majority constitutes a mandate, IMHO.

As much as I sympathize with the hereditary chiefs, I think anti-pipeline protesters are missing one point: The oil will be sent to the coast one way or another. If not by pipeline, then by increased rail and truck transport. Not only does this increase emissions, it also increases the likelihood of a spill. (It's worth noting that rail lines and roads follow river paths quite a bit of the time)

Far better, IMO, to twin the already existing pipeline, using up to date standards for construction and maintenance, than to force the producers to move their product by more expensive and less safe methods.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but what do you mean by "Alberta" doing more? royalties from multinationals? or people just paying their taxes? 

Cause thx to the wages the patch pays , people can afford to travel and buy houses in b.c. And other things if they want. 

Alberta only does well if oil does and Canada only does well if Alberta does well.....see the Trend....

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Who's wood is up White Swan? Canfor? If it is private land outside a license it can be clear cut. If you drive thru Yahk all that wood on the east side of the road is from private land. If you get as far as Creston look to the north and you will see the mountain side above Wynndel is bare. Private land. 

Can for and it's crown land.....

i have no problems clear cutting if it's private land their choice but there's laws to protect crown land. 

Edited by RowdyCanuck

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

yet...Alberta wasn't;t doing well but eh rest of the country was for the most part.

Looks like that argument can be "through'n" out as we go "threw" your business acumen again

You mean the rest of Canada is finally starting to feel the hurt.....

name me one time when oil prices where down and Canada was thriving? 

Still pissy some 26 year old green horn knows more about business then you do lol

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Colonists seized first nations lands in the 1800's and put in place the Indian Act in 1876 to put their own legal system in place......

I think it is essential now that we honor the house chiefs that are primarily concerned with being stewards of their first nations territories...

We have destroyed so much of our provinces natural environment through the pursuit of economy .... maybe it is time for us all to think about being stewards of our province wilderness......    The way we are going now there will be nothing left to protect in our province.......

We have so much to learn from Indigenous people in our province about how to live together with our natural environment.

I think it is time to listen to our house chiefs and work together with them on not losing more of our province.   

Reconciliation means respectfully working together with first nations.... and this must include hereditary house chiefs.....

The indian act has always been a failure. Look at where it has gotten us.  Cultural genocide. 

hmmmmmm that sounds like a grass fed cattle ranching to me or old school ranching lol 

What cleanup are logging companies not doing? I know that burning waste piles have been cut back or even eliminated. In the 80's & 90's I was involved in control burns to clear up waste. Enviromentalists didn't like that. Like everywhere the combustable material in the bush was building up over the years because of how efficient fire crews were in stopping fires. A lot of fires now are let burn by forestry.   

I believe John Horgan said they were going to make it mandatory so it's hard to believe it could be eliminated considering he's only been the premier for 2 years or two and a half

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no what I mean is  the whole idea that "Albertans do more" is an insult to the rest of the country. The fact is, and its a fact, no individual Albertan does any more than any other tax paying Canadian. So to say that they do more, carry Canada, yada yada is just self serving tripe, and very destructive, mostly to Albertans psyche. They are an angry group, worked themselves into a frenzy based on a bunch of bs. 

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but what do you mean by "Alberta" doing more? royalties from multinationals? or people just paying their taxes? 

Well if we shut down the oil industry like many in BC want then Ottawa won't have near as much money which would be a hit to all of Canada if we shut down the oil industry Alberta would not pay equalisation which would be an over 20 billion dollar hit so yeah I guess you could say we do do a lot more than everybody else because tell me what other Province if you shut down their main industry would it affect the whole country but if you shutdown our oil industry it very much will have huge consequences on the whole country no other Province can say that.

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Upvote 1

It's how should I put this.....the policy is iirc for crown , for ever so many trees you take your suppose to replant....

also a lot of wildfires are cause by dead trees and if the province did was its suppose to and contract out more selected logging or spacing.....

but a lot of logging companies don't want to take those type of contracts cause they pay less. 

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

OK... but a majority of first nations people voted in elected bands that want the project. You're saying that doesn't matter. 

23 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

It's how should I put this.....the policy is iirc for crown , for ever so many trees you take your suppose to replant....

also a lot of wildfires are cause by dead trees and if the province did was its suppose to and contract out more selected logging or spacing.....

but a lot of logging companies don't want to take those type of contracts cause they pay less. 

BC has been shipping raw logs overseas for far too long...............

Keep the fibre in Canada.

Develop value added products to our timber

Lets build a better BC 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Cause thx to the wages the patch pays , people can afford to travel and buy houses in b.c. And other things if they want. 

Alberta only does well if oil does and Canada only does well if Alberta does well.....see the Trend....

that goes for every industry, nothing unique to oil there. 

"Canada only does well" - but when the patch has been down, our GDP still went up. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

OK... but a majority of first nations people voted in elected bands that want the project. You're saying that doesn't matter. 

I am saying that Indigenous bands have 2 forms of government.

Both forms of their governments need to be consulted  / negotiated  / respected  to have any kind of a proper deal in BC.

Hereditary chiefs will decide on policy on off reserve territorial lands.  Elected chiefs on reserve lands.  That is the current system in place and it should be respected.

Respect = reconciliation

34 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well if we shut down the oil industry like many in BC want then Ottawa won't have near as much money which would be a hit to all of Canada if we shut down the oil industry Alberta would not pay equalisation which would be an over 20 billion dollar hit so yeah I guess you could say we do do a lot more than everybody else because tell me what other Province if you shut down their main industry would it affect the whole country but if you shutdown our oil industry it very much will have huge consequences on the whole country no other Province can say that.

thank goodness no one in Alberta pays directly into equalization, that would be sad.

You seem to forget a majority of people in BC are OK with TMX, maybe focus on that. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that goes for every industry, nothing unique to oil there. 

"Canada only does well" - but when the patch has been down, our GDP still went up. 

Canada is much more than petro industries.... It is only a  small part of the Canadian economy. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

I am saying that Indigenous bands have 2 forms of government.

Both forms of their governments need to be consulted  / negotiated  / respected  to have any kind of a proper deal in BC.

Hereditary chiefs will decide on policy on off reserve territorial lands.  Elected chiefs on reserve lands.  That is the current system in place and it should be respected.

Respect = reconciliation

but if they are in conflict, you are suggesting that a project must be stopped. Thats giving the hereditary chiefs ultimate power, and thats not how it works.