The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The DumbBrexit / #Wexit thread

JM_

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Support yes but becoming a logger doesn't give you that option like the oil industry does. 

With the current climate in forestry...... I  would really question myself  about joining the industry....

Getting into the pot industry probably has a better future TBH.....

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I believe John Horgan said they were going to make it mandatory so it's hard to believe it could be eliminated considering he's only been the premier for 2 years or two and a half

The Dippers back in the '80's and 90's wanted to mandate that all waste be trucked from cut blocks and that material be used as hog fuel to generate co-gen power. It never got traction because the economics simply were not there. Yes, hog fuel generated in mills from debarking and trimming are shipped to co-gen plants. At least in our area. 

Another interesting aspect of waste in the bush was the realization that it provided nutrient and shade protection for new growth. A real added cost in reforestation as planters have to work over or around the debris.   

12 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I never said they weren't I said many in BC and that's not wrong I've always have maintained that it's the minority in BC but if they got their way they would hurt all of Canada including themselves

Sure, but to Jimmy's point, it's still a minority.

Using that logic, you could also say that "Many in Alberta want to shut it down" as well....

I never said they weren't I said many in BC and that's not wrong I've always have maintained that it's the minority in BC but if they got their way they would hurt all of Canada including themselves

well sure, King seems like a nice guy but if we handed him the keys we'd end up in the lake. 

(just kidding king)

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Are you suggesting that about almost 200 billion dollars is nothing serious?

You also as usual because you always do it and I constantly remind you that you aren't looking at the whole picture the amount of jobs and wealth it creates and so many other Industries so if you killed that industry you would be killing a lot more than just that 12% you spoke of.

you keep arguing that you deserve more back because you're an Albertan, and its supposed to be obvious to everyone that you've done more for us. Sorry man, you have not contributed more to Canada than i have or anyone else who's made a good living in Canada (or if they were not fortunate that way contributed though things like volunteering).

You're basing your thinking on an idea of a collective effort of Albertans. But aren't you guys all rugged individualists? You want a collective effort recognized for Alberta, but you reject it for Canada. Its pretty confusing.

Alberta has a concentration of high paying jobs and you make it sound like you're a bunch of martyrs. 

And btw Canada's energy sector is between 11 and 12% of our GDP (https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/science-data/data-analysis/energy-data-analysis/energy-facts/energy-and-economy/20062). 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you keep arguing that you deserve more back because you're an Albertan, and its supposed to be obvious to everyone that you've done more for us. Sorry man, you have not contributed more to Canada than i have or anyone else who's made a good living in Canada (or if they were not fortunate that way contributed though things like volunteering).

You're basing your thinking on an idea of a collective effort of Albertans. But aren't you guys all rugged individualists? You want a collective effort recognized for Alberta, but you reject it for Canada. Its pretty confusing.

Alberta has a concentration of high paying jobs and you make it sound like you're a bunch of martyrs. 

And btw Canada's energy sector is between 11 and 12% of our GDP (https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/science-data/data-analysis/energy-data-analysis/energy-facts/energy-and-economy/20062). 

but you're forgetting they are the smartest, hardest working, highest paid, prettiest, nicest and gosh darnit everyone should like them!

Edited by inane
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, haton said:

Bill Gates gave 4.6 billion to charity and I gave a couple hundred bucks.  I did as much for charity as Bill Gates. Yes.

really? Albertans are Bill Gates now?

Edited by Jimmy McGill

34 minutes ago, inane said:

but you're forgetting they are the smartest, hardest working, highest paid, prettiest, nicest and gosh darnit everyone should like them!

maybe you could make an argument for guys on the rig destroying their bodies for that job... but an office job in downtown Calgary :blink:

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah....minus the skinny arms and the nerdy glasses.....

Alberta has about 3.4 million people over the age of 16 generating 180 billion in total average salaries. 

The rest of Canada has 26 million people generating about 1.2 trillion in total average salaries. 

Who's carrying what now? Bill who? 

1 hour ago, inane said:

Well darn isnt that sweet  lol but if your going blow smoke never put nicest and Alberta together lol 

51 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

maybe you could make an argument for guys on the rig destroying their bodies for that job... but an office job in downtown Calgary :blink:

I agree but I think people are forgetting that riggers and other people that work in the oil industry, risk their life for a pay check.....all it takes is one kick on a rig and boom...... When you work oilfield services gotta watch out for sour gas stuff can kill pretty fast too and only warnings you get is the smell of rotten Eggs smell......

edit*rigs and other oil companies had to start offering more to attract people......who wants to sit on a rig for three weeks or a month in a Alberta or s.k winter?.....

I agree that some are over paid but it's only job I know where I invest say a 1000 in my self so warm clothes and work boots and get my H2S and first aid and I can make anywhere from 4 grand up.....oh most companies give you a 130 dollars a day while your on hitch to cover food and hotel cost......

I can't think of another job where anyone that's hard working or driven by money can get so far ahead. 

Edited by RowdyCanuck

10 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Well darn isnt that sweet  lol but if your going blow smoke never put nicest and Alberta together lol 

I agree but I think people are forgetting that riggers and other people that work in the oil industry, risk their life for a pay check.....all it takes is one kick on a rig and boom...... When you work oilfield services gotta watch out for sour gas stuff can kill pretty fast too and only warnings you get is the smell of rotten Eggs smell......

When I was in the Electrical Foundations program, we were told that we needed H2S certification before we could go work in the Patch...I imagine that's still the case?

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

When I was in the Electrical Foundations program, we were told that we needed H2S certification before we could go work in the Patch...I imagine that's still the case?

Yup. That will probably never change for safety reasons....

its not an easy course if a person lacks common sense ha 

16 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

edit*rigs and other oil companies had to start offering more to attract people......who wants to sit on a rig for three weeks or a month in a Alberta or s.k winter?.....

I agree that some are over paid but it's only job I know where I invest say a 1000 in my self so warm clothes and work boots and get my H2S and first aid and I can make anywhere from 4 grand up.....oh most companies give you a 130 dollars a day while your on hitch to cover food and hotel cost......

I can't think of another job where anyone that's hard working or driven by money can get so far ahead. 

so thats it on the head, right there. Its a high paying industry, and Alberta (and Canada) is lucky to have it. Why can't we just keep the discussion there? why do some people feel the need to hate on the rest of Canada? I don't get it.

I went to high school with a guy that lost 3 fingers working on a drilling rig, some sort of ancient with the chain. He got $30,000 for it to re-train. Some guys aren't so lucky in the patch either. 

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Alberta has about 3.4 million people over the age of 16 generating 180 billion in total average salaries. 

The rest of Canada has 26 million people generating about 1.2 trillion in total average salaries. 

Who's carrying what now? Bill who? 

So you admit we get screwed?

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Absolutely. Has to be done every 3 years.

3 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Yup. That will probably never change for safety reasons....

its not an easy course if a person lacks common sense ha 

Will never change. Also to your earlier post the rotten egg smell is only at lower concentrations. When the levels are very high there is no smell you fall down and die. I have been around lots of h2s and tbh it's not rotten eggs to me but the smell is distinct and you will always remember it.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so thats it on the head, right there. Its a high paying industry, and Alberta (and Canada) is lucky to have it. Why can't we just keep the discussion there? why do some people feel the need to hate on the rest of Canada? I don't get it.

I went to high school with a guy that lost 3 fingers working on a drilling rig, some sort of ancient with the chain. He got $30,000 for it to re-train. Some guys aren't so lucky in the patch either. 

Oh ffs Jim. So many hate on Alberta. So you pushed us to the point of hating back and now you cry foul.

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Oh ffs Jim. So many hate on Alberta. So you pushed us to the point of hating back and now you cry foul.

Get over it. No really, just get over it. All that anger in Alberta is impotent and probably shortening lives. 

Enjoy the high salary ride while it lasts, and quit yer bitchin' as they say. 

You're also forgetting things like "let the eastern bastards freeze in the dark". The average hard working Ontarian didn't deserve that comment. You guys have been whinging and bitching for decades now. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Cause with the oil Industry.....people either support it or hate.....don't get me wrong there's a lot in the middle that see both sides, the good and bad....

under Harper , he made people respect the indusrty and made sure to show all sides of the oil.....

aint that the truth....sorry to hear about your friend.