The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dear Mr. Eriksson

Rate this topic

Johnny Torts

10 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

He's been the subject of a lot of unwarranted hate from the fans.  As Brian Burke said, you can't expect a player to say no to a contract that someone's williing to give him.  

So if you want to blame someone, it's Jim Benning.  GMJB's more then made up for that mistake with his drafting so it's all good :) 

Well it is really the player who didn't deliver.  The decline was right after he signed the deal.  

Maybe he wants to retire without a soft melon.  Play as well has he can without taking a head shot or into contact.  

These things happen.  Eriksson took 3 years to score as much as he did in the year prior to being signed.  

Don't blame JB for Loui's lack of production.  That's on Loui and possibly Green.  But Loui did get prime minutes in his first season and a half.  He never got there.  

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Well it is really the player who didn't deliver.  The decline was right after he signed the deal.  

Maybe he wants to retire without a soft melon.  Play as well has he can without taking a head shot or into contact.  

These things happen.  Eriksson took 3 years to score as much as he did in the year prior to being signed.  

Don't blame JB for Loui's lack of production.  That's on Loui and possibly Green.  But Loui did get prime minutes in his first season and a half.  He never got there.  

I don't know I guess I seen it a different way. In the way that Bo's been served up many a line mates I believe Lui was treated the same way. When he first arrived here, I believe he was trying to adapt to a new team and line mates. The Sedins were on their decline at this time as well. I think he was moved around and I am not sure he was given a fair shake right off the bat to adapt. The same thing with trying him with Bo and then he was relegated to being a main checker as the team lacked this type of player.

He came at a time when the team was in a tear down/ rebuild and I think he got caught in the middle of it. I really think where it looks like he doesn't care it really is that his confidence has taken a beating. From being known as an offensive producer to being the veteran guy that is one of the main PK's now has to weigh in on a guys psyche.

He looks like he has overcome that somewhat and played a pretty spirited game last night.

Instead of bashing him and making fun of him, we, as fans, should be supporting him especially because he is still, a Canuck after all.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Exactly.

Eriksson stepped in tonight, and did what was expected of him.   Eriksson won an important physical battle using his smarts, and helped set up Schaller’s goal.

Yes - his contract sucks, but Eriksson’s presence on the team still gives us excellent short term insurance against the injury bug.    

For this year atleast, I don’t mind Eriksson being here at all if he has more games like he did tonight.

I think people forget he's never been a 4th line guy until he got here. Lots of guys can't reinvent their game from top line scorer to 4th line grunt. He's also 179 lbs... even if he did hit its like expecting Stecher to be a wrecking ball.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think people forget he's never been a 4th line guy until he got here. Lots of guys can't reinvent their game from top line scorer to 4th line grunt. He's also 179 lbs... even if he did hit its like expecting Stecher to be a wrecking ball.

There’s no way Eriksson is 179 lbs.   I remember reading that somewhere as well, but it has to be a mistake.  Eriksson is definitely north of 200 lbs.   

9 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

There’s no way Eriksson is 179 lbs.   I remember reading that somewhere as well, but it has to be a mistake.  Eriksson is definitely north of 200 lbs.   

what? why would his stats be that far off? 

I thought Loui played well last night, Canucks won 7-2, so no complaints. I'm trying not to look at the salaries as much these days, because it doesn't really matter what they pay the players. Miller, Boeser and Horvat are probably underpaid anyway - not to mention they're currently paying Hughes and Pettersson peanuts. That's for Benning and his staff to worry about (the cap). The bottom line is Wins. Loui looked like he was trying hard, getting to pucks quickly, not shying from board battles. We should all be pulling for Loui, whether he remains a Canuck or they trade him. If he plays well, then the return will be a bit better. Go Loui Go.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, IBatch said:

IF this started as a hack LE thread ...but I’d say less then one out of ten are nice so ... maybe just that one part the bats hitting counts.    Happen to agree with the OP, sure a lot of it’s on him too - in this picture the CDC is the guy and LE is definitely the horse. 

I don't disagree, just that everything LE has been beaten to death.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

7 games and no points yet, but I thought he was worried about his stats as a Swedish born player... Yet he still can't get a point, dude you're time is done, hang them up.

Even the coach has you only playing 6-7 mins a night now, you're just wasting a roster spot now for a younger, faster, stronger and more talented player.

• Cheers 1

On 11/8/2019 at 5:20 AM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

7 games and no points yet, but I thought he was worried about his stats as a Swedish born player... Yet he still can't get a point, dude you're time is done, hang them up.

Even the coach has you only playing 6-7 mins a night now, you're just wasting a roster spot now for a younger, faster, stronger and more talented player.

Plus he's wasting our time as fans.

• Haha 1

On 10/28/2019 at 8:36 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Dear Mr Eriksson,

Play mad as a loon

Something, to make us all hahp-py..

Do anything, like

Lead in the room

Make some plays, snipe some goals

Make it snappy

You are the one, who's

Made all that cash, doin' that

We break out in tears

Please don't be sad, but

If a low cap you had

We wouldn't drown sorrow

In all of these beers

ooooooohhhhhh wahhhhhhhhh

oooohhhhhh  wahhhhhhh

I came in here looking for this.  As SOON as I read the title, that song went off in my head and I knew you'd have something for us and I sought  out your "version".  Well done, love it.

As for Loui...I don't think he's as bad as we make him out to be.  But, with that being said, he's not as good as he likely should be either.  Somewhere in the middle, which is not likely due to not caring or not trying...just what it is.  I like him, so won't beat him up.  I see no point in it and am cheering for him to do well.  GO LOUI

• Cheers 1

On 10/28/2019 at 7:58 PM, Johnny Torts said:

He’s played with the retiring Twins, or the “developing” Bo. After that, it’s been checking lines for him.

I don’t think he’s been given a fair shake for his track record

He's gotten too slow due to age. It happens to them all. They can't keep up with the kids anymore. Trevor Linden was a healthy scratch for much of his last season for the same reason. Hell, even Gretzky was a shell of his former self his last season playing for NYR.

LE is never again going to be the 30G scorer he was with BOS no matter who his line mates are or how many minutes he plays. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CptCanuck16 said:

He's gotten too slow due to age. It happens to them all. They can't keep up with the kids anymore. Trevor Linden was a healthy scratch for much of his last season for the same reason. Hell, even Gretzky was a shell of his former self his last season playing for NYR.

LE is never again going to be the 30G scorer he was with BOS no matter who his line mates are or how many minutes he plays. 

He’s 1 of the 20 oldest forwards in the league now.

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I came in here looking for this.  As SOON as I read the title, that song went off in my head and I knew you'd have something for us and I sought  out your "version".  Well done, love it.

As for Loui...I don't think he's as bad as we make him out to be.  But, with that being said, he's not as good as he likely should be either.  Somewhere in the middle, which is not likely due to not caring or not trying...just what it is.  I like him, so won't beat him up.  I see no point in it and am cheering for him to do well.  GO LOUI

Mostly agree Deb..haven't been driving for a longgg time, so I didn't mind being stuck in Traffic! You're right, that title was too inviting for us old prog rockers.

But this whole cap-conundrum IS frustrating, & Loui's the obvious fly in the ointment. Old Jimbo can't shake it on the dance floor, until he Houdinis outa' that cap-straitjacket, eh? It's really holding us back. Why should fans be punished for some random mistake, 3 or 4 yrs back? Cdn teams are PRESSURED to cough up more, to UFA-compete, in relation to Florida, or desert locales. So as I've complained yrs back, there SHOULD be a mechanism for teams to buy out(perhaps 1?) a contract at the end of each season.

League would NEVER do that..why? B/c the Cdn teams would benefit more(due to above^)