The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can you truly be a fan of two teams in a single league?

Magikal

Can you be a fan of two teams in one league?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Magikal said:

And when these teams face off against each other which is bound to happen where does one put their loyalty?

That'd be a case by case basis. You'd have to ask each person how they decide in those situations. However, I imagine some would defer to the team they were a fan of first, some would go with their home team instead and others would just be happy no matter the result of the game/series. 

2 minutes ago, Magikal said:

How does someone invest in the subculture and history of multiple organizations? 

We have this wonderful invention called the internet to use for that. For instance, it was because of YouTube that I found that game where Odjick tried to fight every St. Louis player on the ice!

22 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

That'd be a case by case basis. You'd have to ask each person how they decide in those situations. However, I imagine some would defer to the team they were a fan of first, some would go with their home team instead and others would just be happy no matter the result of the game/series. 

We have this wonderful invention called the internet to use for that. For instance, it was because of YouTube that I found that game where Odjick tried to fight every St. Louis player on the ice!

If they defer to a certain team then that is the team they should have their loyalties with IMO. 

As for the internet comment. That doesn't really get into what I was asking. To truly submerge yourself in the pride, history and subculture of a team would make it impossible to do it for another franchise of the same sport. It's contradicting in it's essence. Sure you can watch videos of things in the past and enjoy how cool it was (The Colorado/Red wings fight for example was freakin' epic and as a hockey fan I loved it) But you can't become a fan of those teams for it especially if you already hold ties to another club. It just makes no sense and it's not real fandom IMO.

This shouldn't even be up for debate.

The answer is NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That said, if the Canucks are out in the playoffs, I will "cheer" for Canadian teams that are left - but I am not a fan of them - I just want the cup back in Canada.

I've been a Canucks, Bombers and Patriots fan since the mid 70's.  

Those are the only teams (and sports) I am a fan of.

Yeah, I'll cheer on England in the World Cup - but not a fan like I am with the Canucks.

• Upvote 1

If they defer to a certain team then that is the team they should have their loyalties with IMO. 

As for the internet comment. That doesn't really get into what I was asking. To truly submerge yourself in the pride, history and subculture of a team would make it impossible to do it for another franchise of the same sport. It's contradicting in it's essence. Sure you can watch videos of things in the past and enjoy how cool it was (The Colorado/Red wings fight for example was freakin' epic and as a hockey fan I loved it) But you can't become a fan of those teams for it especially if you already hold ties to another club. It just makes no sense and it's not real fandom IMO.

Maybe it only works that way for simple people?

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

Of course you can. I'm a huge fan of the Bills and whoever is playing the Patsies....

Is that being a fan of multiple teams or just hating the Pats to the max? (BTW I completely understand hating that dog poop franchise)

Is that being a fan of multiple teams or just hating the Pats to the max? (BTW I completely understand hating that dog poop franchise)

It was pretty much tongue in cheek. Outside of cheering for the Bills and cheering against the Pats (and all the other teams in the AFC East) I don't really GaF, although I love seeing the Cowboys lose as well.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It was pretty much tongue in cheek. Outside of cheering for the Bills and cheering against the Pats (and all the other teams in the AFC East) I don't really GaF, although I love seeing the Cowboys lose as well.

Who doesn't love seeing Dem Boys get beat down?

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

You strike me as the type of guy who would see a woman wearing a Star Trek shirt at a sci-fi convention and grill her with obscure trivia to prove she isn't a "real fan". 

Well you would be wrong but okay

1 hour ago, Magikal said:

Yes you must choose a side. Being a fan of a player is different. I think Aaron Rodgers is the most amazing QB in the league to watch and I enjoy seeing what he can do. But I am no Packer and never will be.

I'm seeing things from a true fans perspective. Remember fan is short for fanatic. If you are not a fanatic about your team then they A. aren't your team and B. you are not a fan.

When it comes to your baseball example if it was the Jays vs the Braves who you got? Broncos vs Steelers who you taking? To say it depends on the condition of the team makes you sound like a glory chaser.....do you just pick which team is doing better and go with it? because if that is the case then I would question how you can call yourself a fan TBH.

Not trying to be nasty or pick a fight by any means but unless I am misunderstanding something here this is how it comes across.....

No, that's my point, I can be both a Canucks and Penguins fan.  But if Crosby happens to be my favorite player today, I might pick the Penguins, but if in 5 years Crosby is retired and EP is my new favorite (active) player, I might choose the Canucks 5 years later.

I'm not chasing glory, I'd pick a side before the matchup and assume my choice whether they win or not.  If I like both, doesn't mean I'll chose the same side a few years later when players change.

I'm not saying it's common and frequent, just saying it's possible.