The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

VIDEO: Woman goes on racist, expletive-filled tirade directed at employees of BC drug store

Ryan Strome

22 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Apologies for the long post. Over the last few years, I've really taken a deeper look at this. There are a lot of angry people in our society for a variety of reasons.

Some of those reasons are extremely complex - ie: family dysfunction, abuse, trauma, physical impairments, tragedy, loss, disorders, bullying, etc. The type of anger from these issues sometimes takes a lifetime to understand and manage.

We also live in a society where we place priority on creating illusions of an ideal self rather, ideal life, than being truly authentic and allowing people to see who we really are. As a result, many people are angry that they can't honestly be themselves. This is very real at the heart of our existence. 

Many people place their idenity in material things in pursuit of happiness rather than going inward yet wind up angry and depressed. 

When you really look at it, there's a lot of self-loathing and pain buried deep and simmering within our society. 

Other reasons of anger are more overt - finances, employment, opportunities, relatioships, and anger from the day-to-day struggles. Just think about the amount of crap people put up with each day from bosses or co-workers who are cruel, manipulative, and undermining others. It's rampant in so many work cultures and there's a lot of injustice that happens to people on a ground level each day.

Many people are angry but can never get retribution or a level of fairness or justice on a daily level.

And there are a lot of people who have a hard time adapting to change and how fast our society is changing, who can't keep up and are angry. I know a lot of people who are angry with social media and the culture of technology ... some who have spent years working in both.

I could go on and on ... and on!! 

So, I look at all that and ask ... what are people really doing to not only confront their anger but also resolve and manage their anger? It's an incredibly hard process depending on the true sources of anger. Are some people even aware of their anger? And if they were, could they even begin the process of resolving their anger? I believe some anger issues are so deeply rooted in complex issues that some people can't deal with it properly.

So, saying all that, in relation to the shame culture, I believe a lot of anger gets projected outward into society in unhealthy, toxic ways, fueled by a deep, simmering desire for retribution.

Of course what this woman did was wrong, disgusting, shouldn't be tolerated and she should be confonted. The filming aspect, though, also straddles an unhealty line where it's also a form of entertainment (which is another deeper issue). It's shaming as entertainment that really feeds a darker side of human need ... rooted in individual anger. 

I find the shaming culture is a double edged sword. On one side, the anger behind shaming is fueled by a sense of justice and right. On the other side, though, if it's okay to shame someone else, it also leaves that same person wide open to one day be shamed for their unchecked anger. It's circular.

People are so stressed nowadays....and it is coming out as anger.  We are not living in a healthy society IMO.  Everything is demanding we go faster and faster, do more and more, and there is little time for real relaxation so we are constantly in over-drive.  It wreaks havoc on your nervous system.  

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, redhdlois said:

Everything is demanding we go faster and faster, do more and more, and there is little time for real relaxation so we are constantly in over-drive.  It wreaks havoc on your nervous system.  

The boss wants more and more done, wants it quicker and quicker; won't hire extra people or pay extra money do extra things.

Computer can find an answer in .0056 seconds, why won't that pay roll clerk work as fast to process my pay query? Why is that grocery clerk taking 2 seconds to count my change, don't they know I don't have that two seconds to spare?

Ohh man that guy/gal in the fast lane took 5 seconds to pull into the slow lane, what the heck is wrong with them?

YODA.jpg.820774b9fe6293f57bd1e6839a457016.jpg

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, DonLever said:

He doesn't sound like he was born in Canada...? and he give the two finger salute...from the UK originally? Which would be rich with what he is babbling on about.

People do that in our building too, not the racist part but using the building hose to wash their cars when they are not supposed to. Annoying. 

Anyway, these racists sure are bold theses days. This old fart won't care if he's publicly shamed either. Still, I hope the video gets him some strata fines. 

Edited by bishopshodan

The latest one has more to the story apparently and it seems people arrived to pick up a friend in the building then initiated this interaction with this guy, calling him (racist) names first/too.  This is what was being shared on FB and Twitter (as the video and comments were removed).

Sad either way.  People setting others up and they're taking the bait.  

This world's gone mad.