The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

VIDEO: Woman goes on racist, expletive-filled tirade directed at employees of BC drug store

Ryan Strome

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The flipside is that it's not professional for clerks to discuss something in front of the customer ... go to a private corner and then return and finish serving them.  In any language...this happened at a restaurant recently as I was standing at the till, waiting to pay.  Waitress completely ignored me as she chatted with a coworker as she stood right in front of me, with me waiting for her to pass me the terminal so I could pay.  The customer should be the priority and it is rude, but this is not how it should be addressed.

This for sure.

Even when the customer is wrong/rude. Get them out fast so you, the rest of the employees, and your customers don’t have to witness it. Let people like that have to deal with their own misery themselves, not spread it.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

That's borderline child abuse to me.  We're supposed to shield our kids from stuff but she's subjecting hers to an angry outburst that was likely humiliating as well as terrifying.   

The flipside is that it's not professional for clerks to discuss something in front of the customer ... go to a private corner and then return and finish serving them.  In any language...this happened at a restaurant recently as I was standing at the till, waiting to pay.  Waitress completely ignored me as she chatted with a coworker as she stood right in front of me, with me waiting for her to pass me the terminal so I could pay.  The customer should be the priority and it is rude, but this is not how it should be addressed.

1) wholeheartedly agree and might be why authorities are trying to find out who she is.

2) I agree again. I wish we had a full video clip but I imagine someone only started recording when she got loud. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

She’s right! You should not be speaking another language in front of people if you work in customer service. I don’t feel like she was racist.” By saying speak Chinese somewhere else. Chinese isn’t a language but she didn’t know that. She was over the top for sure, racist no! 

While I understand what you're saying I don't know if it's legit. Sure if it's me and kos and deb start talking in "mandarin " to each other while looking at me it is rude. Like Deb said walk to the back and discuss it. But your comment is pretty vague, what if they're speaking french? Different language, however an official language of Canada. Like I said not racism but clearly I could safely guess this woman certainly is a racist.

• Upvote 2

My Dad always reminds me that "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar".

If your goal is to haul off and vent your pent up rage and racism, sure...do it this way.  Probably will escalate and you'll get NOTHING positive from this interaction.  Will storm off with high blood pressure and a stressed out kid.  Maybe even a chat with a cop because you've just caused a disturbance ... if it's a really bad day, CPS too.

A preferable method in addressing a clerk who's exhibiting rude behavior....quietly say "Hey, I'd really appreciate if, while serving me, you'd communicate in a way that I'm included and can understand the conversation too".  Then you're not creating a situation where the person's inclined to react in a defensive, hostile way.  You're almost forcing them to comply because it WOULD be rude not to.  But if you "go at" someone, chances are, they're not going to fully cooperate with your wishes and it could escalate quickly.

There are always two sides to every story, however, our side speaks for itself...no excuses.  We're responsible for how we react in situations...this is a good demonstration on how not to.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Spoiled entitled brat, shouldn't have a kid, let alone act like this in front of anyone.

I weep for the future. 

This is just it. People wonder why kids act up in teenage years imo it's parenting. Certainly not always but I'm willing to bet in most cases it is but I'm no professional. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

This is just it. People wonder why kids act up in teenage years imo it's parenting. Certainly not always but I'm willing to bet in most cases it is but I'm no professional. 

Exactly.  Mom probably goes home and yells at her kid not to call his sister names.  Children learn what they live.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

My Dad always reminds me that "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar".

If your goal is to haul off and vent your pent up rage, sure...do it this way.  Probably will escalate and you'll get NOTHING positive from this interaction.  Will storm off with high blood pressure and a stressed out kid.

A preferable method in addressing a clerk who's exhibiting rude behavior....quietly say "Hey, I'd really appreciate if, while serving me, you'd communicate in a way that I'm included and I can understand the conversation too".  Then you're not creating a situation where the person's included to react in a defensive, hostile way.  Because if you "go at" someone, chances are, they're not going to fully cooperate with your wishes.  

This is why I wish there was more video. For all we know she may have called a manager over for help and spoke to him in mandarin to be more efficient and quicker as maybe her English is poor.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

She certainly does and she may want to leave Burnaby and move to say somewhere far, far away.

Yup, like good old Surrey where we all get along and play together nicely.....

When i met my wife ... she did not speak my language... maybe that is why we got along so well......

To this day .... i have still never spoke with my MIL ... LOL .  

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, the grinder said:

the biggest problem is  the clerks who obvious spoke English  and then switch to Chinese in front of  a customer  that is rude and un professional   but that doesn't mean the customer needs to be that rude as well  

This is exactly what I was trying to say to@HerrDrFunk but you said it so much better and that goes for any language. 

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yup, like good old Surrey where we all get along and play together nicely.....

When i met my wife ... she did not speak my language... maybe that is why we got along so well......

No I was thinking somewhere it's alright to mentally and emotionally abuse children. If that place doesn't exist maybe she can correct her behaviour and make her mission in life to be a responsible mom.

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

This is exactly what I was trying to @HerrDrFunk but you said it so much better and that goes for any language. 

lol reminds me of a story me and a gf  went to a fruit and veggie stand , and a clerk made a rude comment in hindi  and gf let him have it in hindi . the look of shock on his face was priceless , my gf was redhead with green eyes lol

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

No I was thinking somewhere it's alright to mentally and emotionally abuse children. If that place doesn't exist maybe she can correct her behaviour and make her mission in life to be a responsible mom.

That mom should be forced to watch that video 100 times......  then apologizing to the clerks, her child , and her child's father for how she behaved. 

• Cheers 1