The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

VIDEO: Woman goes on racist, expletive-filled tirade directed at employees of BC drug store

Ryan Strome

2 minutes ago, the grinder said:

lol reminds me of a story me and a gf  went to a fruit and veggie stand , and a clerk made a rude comment in hindi  and gf let him have it in hindi . the look of shock on his face was priceless , my gf was redhead with green eyes lol

I only know hangy(spelling) but have heard it used for various things. Haha

Let's be honest I have difficulty understanding one language. :frantic:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

This is exactly what I was trying to @HerrDrFunk but you said it so much better and that goes for any language. 

Ah, yeah, I definitely think that would be rude depending on the circumstances. 

I was thinking along the lines of people who flip out because they hear two friends speaking Mandarin to each other on the skytrain.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, the grinder said:

lol reminds me of a story me and a gf  went to a fruit and veggie stand , and a clerk made a rude comment in hindi  and gf let him have it in hindi . the look of shock on his face was priceless , my gf was redhead with green eyes lol

A lady once said to her family that she thought our dog was ugly in German.

My wife speaks German. Oh....we had some laughs at their expense.

And my dog is better looking than this women was. 

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

While I understand what you're saying I don't know if it's legit. Sure if it's me and kos and deb start talking in "mandarin " to each other while looking at me it is rude. Like Deb said walk to the back and discuss it. But your comment is pretty vague, what if they're speaking french? Different language, however an official language of Canada. Like I said not racism but clearly I could safely guess this woman certainly is a racist.

I agree goto the back. Even speaking French outside of Quebec is rude In front of customers. I understand hiring employees that speak different languages but they usually only use that Skill when a customer doesn’t speak English. I however strongly disagree that “she is certainly a racist”. I would be upset and by no means am I a racist. I have a very diverse group of friends. 

26 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

While I understand what you're saying I don't know if it's legit. Sure if it's me and kos and deb start talking in "mandarin " to each other while looking at me it is rude. Like Deb said walk to the back and discuss it. But your comment is pretty vague, what if they're speaking french? Different language, however an official language of Canada. Like I said not racism but clearly I could safely guess this woman certainly is a racist.

Is it racist if you get pissed off at the Tim Horton's workers who can barely understand English yet provide services to English speaking customers? Because I've seen that happen.

We had Brazilian exchange students in our class in 2007; the teacher told them to speak English in class. In 2019, that may have very well lead to a lawsuit. Certainly a dismissal.

This country is getting &^@#ing ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, #Canucks said:

I agree goto the back. Even speaking French outside of Quebec is rude In front of customers. I understand hiring employees that speak different languages but they usually only use that Skill when a customer doesn’t speak English. I however strongly disagree that “she is certainly a racist”. I would be upset and by no means am I a racist. I have a very diverse group of friends. 

I think she's a piece of trash and there's no place for that in this country.  Zero excuse for her bigotry.  Entirely possible the conversation was work related and couldn't have been understood in English.

3 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

FTR New Brunswick is the ONLY bilingual province in Canada. 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

ugh. I guess no one told her Bernier lost.

I've been to this store a few times actually, its right across from metrotown. Certainly not a place you'd be surprised to hear a language different from english. 

Once Canadians birth rates dropped to next to zero....  we all had to be pretty thankful for the immigrants that have now come to Canada and contributed so much to our great country. 

Yes , they may or may not speak their own language at times....  deal with it. Enjoy it.    Most retail shops in lower mainland can't even find workers... so yeah they are hiring people with next to no english language skills...... Diversity makes us stronger and is more interesting.

When you make a sandwhich do  you always wish you had  a loaf of Wonder Bread to make it from ..... ? 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I think she's a piece of trash and there's no place for that in this country.  Zero excuse for her bigotry.  Entirely possible the conversation was work related and couldn't have been understood in English.

Yeah I agree it was not okay but for me that’s a little harsh!

• Upvote 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

My point also. She may have wanted advice and it's easier for her to convey that message to a fellow employee in their native tongue. But I'm not sure there is bigotry or racism there. Certainly a mother who needs a talking to from whatever authorities talk to poor parents.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Is it racist if you get pissed off at the Tim Horton's workers who can barely understand English yet provide services to English speaking customers? Because I've seen that happen.

We had Brazilian exchange students in our class in 2007; the teacher told them to speak English in class. In 2019, that may have very well lead to a lawsuit. Certainly a dismissal.

This country is getting &^@#ing ridiculous. 

No I have clearly stated it's not racism. That being said if it escalates to racism then that person is a racist. You could simply ask may I speak to somebody with a better grasp of the English language. You can ask that with the CRA or any other government agency I'm sure you could do that at a Tim Hortons. In fact if I was that employee I would be more than happy to deal with one less customer. LOL

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

No I have clearly stated it's not racism. That being said if it escalates to racism then that person is a racist. You could simply ask may I speak to somebody with a better grasp of the English language. You can ask that with the CRA or any other government agency I'm sure you could do that at a Tim Hortons. In fact if I was that employee I would be more than happy to deal with one less customer. LOL

you can be upset with Timmys for poor training, but not the person trying to make a new life. Thats ridiculous. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

It only shows that ignorance has no boundries, when people do things like this and in public no less.This "LADY" must be a treat to deal with on a daily basis.

Unfortunately the Trumpism is starting to come across the border,MAYBE "WE" NEED A WALL.

Oh god go to the Trump thread. 

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

v9xq9flui4221.jpg

Pretty sure he is correct. Isn't there like 100 different dialects in China?

• Wat 1

I'm so tired of people getting away with things like this. I've been through it & suffered as well..like Literally, eh?

I was in a drug store & the lame helpers were a coupla' Newfies, who started speakin' Newfanese..How DARE they?! Disingenuous AND discriminatory! Well, I let'em have it(chap 2 tomorrow, when I've settled down)

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Once Canadians birth rates dropped to next to zero....  we all had to be pretty thankful for the immigrants that have now come to Canada and contributed so much to our great country. 

Yes , they may or may not speak their own language at times....  deal with it. Enjoy it.    Most retail shops in lower mainland can't even find workers... so yeah they are hiring people with next to no english language skills...... Diversity makes us stronger and is more interesting.

When you make a sandwhich do  you always wish you had  a loaf of Wonder Bread to make it from ..... ? 

yeah it wasn't cool when it happened to my grandparents, its not cool to do it to these folks today. I've never forgot the stories they told me about how they were treated when they got here, but back then no one cared. 

But some people just have a burning need to be idiots. Clearly this person was one of them. 

• Upvote 4