The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion: would you trade markstrom to the sharks?

No. We waited years to get back to this point. Having two good goalies isn’t a luxury but a necessity in today’s hyper competitive league. 

Rather trade him to Detroit if they want to have a starter with term to build around.  

Jimmy Howard's contract ends after this year and Bernier the year after that, so if we extend Jacob with no security I would very much like to trade him there.  We could probably trade some bad contracts and maybe come away with a high pick.  

8 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Seeing how jones is struggling so mightily the last 2 season in SJ and they are pretty much in a win now mode.. would you considering trading markstrom to the sharks for a ransom? Do you have enough confidence in Demko moving forward? For me yes. If we can get a 1st and a high prospect out of SJ I would do it. Expansion draft is coming soon it’s unlikely we’ll be able to keep both markstrom and demko anyways if the price is right I’d do it. SJ season is in jeopardy to go down the toilet if they don’t address their goaltending soon enough.

I’d kinda sorta consider Markstrom for Jones and a 1st, but I can’t see San Jose going for that.   I’d also hold onto both Marky and Demko for this year, and only consider moving one of our goalies at NEXT year’s deadline.   

1 hour ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I’d kinda sorta consider Markstrom for Jones and a 1st, but I can’t see San Jose going for that.   I’d also hold onto both Marky and Demko for this year, and only consider moving one of our goalies at NEXT year’s deadline.   

I only said it as a would u considered I mean I’d only do it for a overpayment. There’s definitely teams out there that had Stanley cup aspiration to start the season but they have questionable goaltending. For me jone and a 1st wouldn’t even be enough. It’ll be more like a 1st and one of their high end prospect to start. Jones is definitely a non starter lol his contract is worst than Eriksson in every way. 4 more years at 5.75 after this one and he’s looking more and more like he’s done

• Upvote 1

The idea of trading Markstrom is complicated.

He could be in for a big ticket contract after this season that we may not want to pay out.  Even if we can come to an agreement, we have to ensure that he doesn't have trade protection so that he can be exposed at expansion if we decide that Demko is the guy moving forward.

So, there is every possibility/probability that we lose him for nothing either after this season or next.  We could try to get some value for him now.

On the other hand, it has to be worth something to have excellent goaltending for the next year or two and making it into the playoffs and even winning a round or two.  I would lean towards just letting that happen and accept that we will likely lose Marky for nothing at some point.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Seeing how jones is struggling so mightily the last 2 season in SJ and they are pretty much in a win now mode.. would you considering trading markstrom to the sharks for a ransom? Do you have enough confidence in Demko moving forward? For me yes. If we can get a 1st and a high prospect out of SJ I would do it. Expansion draft is coming soon it’s unlikely we’ll be able to keep both markstrom and demko anyways if the price is right I’d do it. SJ season is in jeopardy to go down the toilet if they don’t address their goaltending soon enough.

As soon as we start to really get depth again, fans start up with “Let’s trade it...”

How about if we move into win now mode instead?

San Jose window is closing, they need to move into rebuild mode, but are trying to squeeze a run out of a team that needs a reset. The only reason they got past the first round last year was because the officials gifted it to them. They were a beaten team.

JB signaled that we are now moving into Win Now when he acquired Miller.

We’re playing like a team that is a threat to all other teams. Let’s enjoy it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

If the right price was met I would trade him to any one of the other 30 teams in the League.

exactly, you have to take a great offer if it is sent your way. No player is untradeable, unless your GM gives out continual NTC or NMC to certain players on your team and they refuse to waive

NO.

Demko is not ready for a full season.

Let him gain experience this year with Marky taking around 60% of the starts and Demko taking 40%.

If Marky falters, then Demko can get more.

End of the year, Marky is up for new contract, then you make the decision if you stick with him longer.

Trade of either Marky or Demko shouldn't happen till deadline 2021 or summer 2021 before expansion draft.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*

On 10/29/2019 at 11:01 PM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

we are in a crappy spot right now as one of the goalies will be exposed to the expansion draft.  I cannot imagine seattle not picking any of our exposed goalies.  If we protect Markstrom they will certainly take Demko as one of their choices, and if we keep Demko it means, we have told Markstrom we will have to expose him and there is a good chance Seattle takes him.  I wouldn't mind the idea of trading him but at the right price.  San Jose I believe also doesn't have a 1st rounder this year from trading it to Ottawa for Karlsson.

Well Holtby will also likely be available, they are in the same boat as us with Samsanov supposedly their future number one.   Most mock drafts up to this point have him being taken as their number one, even though he’s up for a contract and will get paid and left hung out to dry just like MAF was (and they had too ADD for Vegas to take him because they couldn’t trade him and needed the cap wow).  

Markstroms name will undoubtedly start coming up if he keeps up his new level of play.   But there is no way they take them both,  too much cap held up on goalies past their thirties.   SJ actually is a good target for Holtby too.   But there were good targets for MAF too and were no takers last time - something to consider for any Markstrom trade proposal too, teams have to go with one goalie.    Maybe Markstroms an upgrade, but would have to really knock it out of the park this year to gain as much interest as MAF could garner - which again was zero.

In the end we ourselves might not be in a good position to keep Markstrom long term too, so selling him to the expansion draft might be prudent - and if not well we can always protect both goalies and leave them a defenseman and anyone but our top five forwards to choose from right? Not too worried about it - either way we won’t be losing something we can’t live without.   Also we have several guys becoming UFAs (again) like Edler, Benn, Sutter, Roussel and I think Tanev - it’s like having an extra spot we don’t need to use as no way Seattle wastes their pick on one of these guys when they could just bolt in free agency in the summer.  

Edited by IBatch

Well, IMO

SJ is not a good trading partner with us, because frankly they have to rebuild now, and they are already missing their 1st and next years 2nd, so I don't think they are moving any picks. As for prospects and young pros? I don't think there is anything they would want to move.

As for us, I would be interested in moving Markstrom, but it would have to be for a solid back up and futures, as we really can not take any more cap on, and those ELC's will be like money in the back in a few years. I am also not real keen on moving Markstrom to a western team.

There are teams back east that would love to have Markstrom, but not for a kings ransom, even though he is playing great...….

IMO, his value is an early 2nd and a prospect. I would like more, but I don't think you get more, as all the teams needing him are rebuilding.

If you want to rebuild Edmonton, they would be a great trading partner (No I am not advocating that, but just for $&!#s and giggles)

Markstrom

for

Koskinen and a 2nd

Note that Koskinen is a great goalie, but does not seem to be able to play heavy minutes. Mike Smith is getting old, and is a UFA at the end of the season as well.

But, I am not loading Edmonton's guns for them, so I don't think it is a good idea. But if we can find a deal like this back east, that is where we move him to, that and maybe a little earlier 2nd.

Edited by janisahockeynut