The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Los Angeles Kings | Oct. 30, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

As someone who was thrilled with us getting Brandon Sutter at the time of his trade to us and saw how much of a difference he made when on the ice, to see him at a 40 point pace early hopefully pauses all the digs at him for most of his often injured Canuck career. Guy is a solid 3C that has a 200 foot game and some scoring/playmaking skills. He’s what we wanted Brendan Gaunce to turn into. With a pretty decent contract to boot.

You may not have heard, but there’s this hockey player guy named Elias Petterson. He’s pretty good eh? This will change, but right now he’s on a 122 point pace season. Can we call him the new clutch? He can score as we saw today, but his true gift is playmaking, creating open ice with nifty moves and passing it back for a one timer shot. He’s great defensively too. He’s also part bulldozer, taking out Martinez not once, but twice. Angry Petey me like. 4 teams passed on him. Their loss, our gain!

Lots of goals, man the Canucks can score. PP, PK, even strength, one timers, greasy goals, rebounds, on the rush, in transition, takeaways, perfect shots, bang bang passing plays, the list goes on. If it’s a way to score a goal the Canucks have done it and in spades.

I think the biggest improvement (and reason for winning) though compared to the last few seasons overall comes from our stick skills. We can turn defenders into pretzels, we can rocket breakaway passes tape to tape, break up power plays, we can win more puck battles, we can get the puck out of our end, we win more face offs, we’re getting tip in goals, both in defense and offense our stick skills has increased with basically every single guy on our team.

I want all 6 points on this trip and we’ve got the team to do it. Now let’s go squash some Ducks! :canucks: :towel:

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8-3-1

2nd in the Division, best +/- in the league, this team is killing it. Hopefully we can keep it going against the more elite teams, we've mainly been beating up on weaker teams so far.

Petey and Boeser bullying these teams reminds me of the twins ruining the Oilers.

This team is clicking and playing its best hockey, I just hope it continues this play through the tougher months. Good to know that we have top-10 special teams if not top-5 as a decent weapon to win us easy games and be the difference in tough games.

Certainly seeing shades of 2011...

Petey and Brock - Sedins

Miller and Horvat - Kesler and Burrows

Edler and Hughes - Edler and Ehrhoff

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, redhdlois said:

Calder finalists 3 years in a row.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

That’s the only negative you could find?

Wow CDC may be out of legitimate things to complain about (for now).

11 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

8-3-1

2nd in the Division, best +/- in the league, this team is killing it. Hopefully we can keep it going against the more elite teams, we've mainly been beating up on weaker teams so far.

Petey and Boeser bullying these teams reminds me of the twins ruining the Oilers.

This team is clicking and playing its best hockey, I just hope it continues this play through the tougher months. Good to know that we have top-10 special teams if not top-5 as a decent weapon to win us easy games and be the difference in tough games.

Petey and Brock - Sedins

Some late comments:

The headlines for tonight are pretty easy:

1. Boeser

2. Pettersson

3. Hughes

4. Horvat

All young first round picks. Provides a reminder about the three principles of rebuilding: drafting, drafting, and drafting. 

As DeNiro says, not many negatives in tonight's game. The biggest negative I can think of is that it is going to cost a lot to re-sign Pettersson and Hughes 2 years from now.

DownUndaCanuck makes a good point about comparisons between the 2011 team and this year's team. Of course it is early and the Canucks have had a relatively easy schedule so far, but EP and Boeser do look similar to the Sedins. Except that EP looks better than Henrik and, on a pro-rated basis, is well ahead of Henrik. 

Similarly, it is a close call, but I would actually take Miller and Horvat now over Kesler and Burrows in the 2011. Actually, one comparison is between Miller and Burrows (the "third guy" on the first line.) and the other is between Horvat and Kesler (world class 2C).. Kesler and Burrows combined for 121 pts in the 2010-11. I am going out on a limb and saying Miller and Horvat beat that total this year.- each ending up in the low 60s. And, while Kesler and Burrows contribution in other ways as well, so do Miller and especially Horvat. 

Finally, the Hughes Ehrhoff comparison is interesting. Ehrhoff had a great year in 2010-11 and finished 7th in the Norris voting (I think). Hughes is a great young player who looks like a good Calder candidate but I don't see as good yet as Ehrhoff was in 2010-11. 

However, I am not sure that Marky is the equal of Luongo, although having a strong 1-2 combo of Marky and Demko is reminiscent of Lu and Schneider. 

In the preseason prediction thread I picked the Canucks to make the playoffs -- but only barely. I would upgrade that now to making the playoffs with a few points to spare. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

I'm eager and patiently waiting till one of these refs get knocked out cold trying to break up a fight that is just getting started. It's getting ridiculous. 

Hopefully, that ref is Kelly Sutherland.    A few cracked ribs and a broken skull would be much appreciated .  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

8-3-1

Petey and Brock - Sedins

Edler = Edler?

hmmmm.......ya don’t say eh? ;)

In all seriousness, I still think it’s premature to compare this team to 2011, but we’re definitely on the right path.

Ww have to keep in mind that the 2011 Canuck team dominated almost every single statistical category in the NHL, won the Presidents Trophy, and came within a game of winning it all.    In many ways, that 2011 Canucks team was one of the greatest teams ever assembled.   

Right now - we’ve only played 12 games of practically injury free hockey and a relatively soft schedule.    I’m excited about this Canucks team as well, but we need a bigger sample size.

• Upvote 2