The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Los Angeles Kings | Oct. 30, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

33 minutes ago, spliced said:

I'm loving the quick puck movement on the power play. I'm a big believer in an active fast moving power play and with the personnel this team has I hope that continues to be a priority for them.

Haha, we always refer to Tank Nation and anti-JB...it was about a week ago we all wanted Newell Brown fired. Seems that discussion has quieted down...

1 hour ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

IF the Canucks make the playoffs, I wonder how many of those guys will have the balls to admit fault and apologize for doubting Benning?   I think a few people might, but I’m not holding my breath.  

In all due fairness the first 3 years under Benning were troubling as the team didn’t have a real direction and it left fans confused and disoriented. I mean, the retool while remaining competitive with an aging roster tidbit really set the tone for his tenure here and it’s taken a long time for fans to finally give him an honest chance. It definitely helps that Boeser, Petey, and now Hughes have been better than advertised. You can’t tell me that even as soon as the end of last season Benning hasn’t deserved some criticism. 

Edited by Pickly

3 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Edler = Edler?

hmmmm.......ya don’t say eh? ;)

In all seriousness, I still think it’s premature to compare this team to 2011, but we’re definitely on the right path.

Ww have to keep in mind that the 2011 Canuck team dominated almost every single statistical category in the NHL, won the Presidents Trophy, and came within a game of winning it all.    In many ways, that 2011 Canucks team was one of the greatest teams ever assembled.   

Right now - we’ve only played 12 games of practically injury free hockey and a relatively soft schedule.    I’m excited about this Canucks team as well, but we need a bigger sample size.

My take is a little different.  This team might have shades of the 2011 team and it’s easy to make those comparisons given it wasn’t that long ago (heck we still have Edler and Tanev) but we’d have to be even better for it to really be accurate  ... it feels a little like it did the year we got Luongo though, you can tell good things are coming.   Your right about those teams - tops in both special teams, differentials and most importantly points etc.  No other team we’ve had has done that.  

For me it’s the first team that’s come around ever that is like the Linden one, and even though I agree it’s pre-mature it sure feels that way.   That team was better balanced then the Sedin teams ever were upfront (Linden, Ronning, Courtnall, Bure, Adams and later Mogilny too etc) maybe the cap plays into it... defense was a wash. 

Support players galore too.   Also take away the loser points and both 92 and 93 we were tops in our division and had two of the best seasons we’ve ever had, and were one of the best teams in the league.  

The team we have now also has a more balanced offense and support players galore.   Goaltending is a big maybe so far, if Markstrom can go one more notch up or Demko take over and become a Vezina finalist like KM did twice...then that comparison would stick too.  At any rate it’s already one of the best tandems we’ve ever had.  

Injuries and a tougher schedule haven’t hit yet, if anything these points we are accruing will make a difference later on when they do - the best part is we are beating the teams we should be beating and the few good ones for the most part too.  Seemed like the last few years we played the best teams hard and lost to the easier ones regularly.   TG has us playing like a team, all four lines contributing, nothing not to like at all.  We won’t win every game, and we won’t score 5 goals every game either (only the Gretzky Oilers could do that).   But I do think great things are coming, and playoff games this year will go a long way in preparation for later.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Love the win. I am worried that the scoring is relied mostly on the 1st line, Hughes, and Horvat. Other teams might see Vancouver as a 1 line team and later in the season other teams will put the pressure on just that one line. Also if any of them get injured it will be a huge blow to the team. 

You are forgetting the scoring machine Tim schaller!!!

27 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

The team had a clear cut direction right from the start.    Unfortunately, most fans and media were simply too unintelligent to realize what was going on.   In their minds,

they equated, signing and/or trading for a vet = “going for it,” as opposed to, signing and/or trading for a vet = “insulating the kids.

The idiot masses and media got so hung up on whether this was a “retool,” “rebuild,” or a refart, that they completely and utterly missed what was really going on.......which was simply, ensuring that the right kids and prospects were insulated in every way possible, whether that was filling in the age gap (which was most conducive to team chemistry), bringing in vets that were either formerly superstars, has played on winning teams, or are/were reknowned lockerroom leaders.    

This management group knew that the Canucks would be in tough for a few years, but were willing to pay a premium for veteran leadership because these vets were the ones that would get the kids to develop the correct on ice and off ice habits while competing hard almost each and every night.    Say what you will about the Canucks’ record these last four years, but these guys almost always showed up to play as hard as they could even if they were clearly outmanned talent wise. 

Well said 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, nzan said:

Haha, we always refer to Tank Nation and anti-JB...it was about a week ago we all wanted Newell Brown fired. Seems that discussion has quieted down...

That's because he didn't use QH on the PP.

It's no coincidence that most of QH points come from the PP.