The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Los Angeles Kings | Oct. 30, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

The TO media would root for Boston just like they did last time. No use for eastern canada and particularly the Laffers. My best scenario is a Canuck/Laffer CUP final with the Canucks taking them out 4 straight with a goal dif of +20 goals. Now that is a worthy dream!!!

The city of Toronto and the entire 647, 905, and 416 area code can rot in hell as far as I go. After having lived there for four years, I can honestly say that these guys don’t have our backs as far as sports go.

1) MLB:   If the “situation” was reversed (ie Vancouver and Buffalo had MLB baseball teams instead of Toronto and Seattle), I guarantee you that most of those guys would be supporting Buffalo and not Vancouver.

2) If Vancouver had Canada’s only NBA team, those guys wouldn’t be supporting us in the next of Canada.

From a sporting perspective, those guys don’t have our backs.    A lot of Torontonians are “Canadians,” when it suits them.   Perhaps I’m being biased and perhaps this description fits all/most other major Canadian cities, but I really noticed this in Toronto.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, kilgore said:

I was thinking at the time how useless that staged fight was as they all are.  It happened like a business arrangement with them first talking terms, then a mostly grab n miss kind of fight and congratulations after. For what? It was at a point in the game when we were playing well, as we did all game. It wasn't all that great a strategy even. I hope it wasn't Green's idea.  Hockey God Karma.

So that is how it has been in the games you have watched? The coach of the team that is dominating the other tells one of his players to start a staged fight, because he wants to change the way the game is going?

When the Canucks are playing well, you "realistic fans" sure need to stretch to fabricate some ridiculous pretext to say something negative about the team. Hope you didn't pull a muscle doing that. But don't despair, the Canucks will eventually lose a game badly and then you and your buddies can take over a PGT with your gloating.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't know that they are "better than advertised".   I think they are showing that they were the right picks and some of the decisions the fans screamed for would have changed this direction.  We'd have Vilardi or Glass instead of Petey so not sure fans were right and Benning was wrong.

I also feel that when you've got a team that comes "close" as the 2011 team did and has been at the top of the league, the tear down isn't obvious and it's over time that it's revealed that players are breaking down.  You don't just swap out a team...you do it in stages because the guys you're bringing in (Bo) need support.  "As soon as last season" really indicates the problem here and that is the fan's impatience in assessing things at times.  The management can't make rash decisions based on emotion and immediacy.  Thank God...because it seems the path has led us to a pretty great team that's really fun to watch. 

I think it's time to let go of the "fans were right, Benning sucked" mantra and start giving credit where it's due and believing in the direction he's taken us in.   It's not as easy on paper from home as putting pieces together when 30 other teams are vying for the same ones.   I actually think he's a genius.

Absolutely this.

Might I add.. during the tedious rebuild process, they also did the right thing letting Sedins play through their last years in Vancouver jersey. 

That was a class act. 

Good for them the prospects and the key pieces are playing good roles for them right now. They deserve it. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Haven't been posting much in the GDT cause I've been glued to the game - and the PGT - well after the game I am done for the day. So I have had all night to think on this. The best part of the game for me, after the "winning it"  , was Petey getting physical - I loved his runs on Martinez.  The more the team plays - the more you see them coming together and feeling comfortable.  A great time to be a Canuck fan.

The season is early - we are looking good and I am hopeful we continue  to put together points and grow as a team.

"A team like that" is just the kind of team we wanted.

Go Canucks Go

Off on a duck hunt

• Upvote 1

Just going around different forums, listening to the talking heads on the radio....there seems to be a theme..."yeah but lets see what they will do when injuries kick in"...as if it is inevitable.

Perhaps our injury prone guys get injured again, who knows.  The way I look at it is if the team continues to play like this and they continue to carry the play then the injuries en masse we have seen during the past few years wont be as likely.

During the past 4 years how many games have we watched with the team hemmed in their own zone, chasing the play, blocking shots, hanging on the best they can?  I think if they can turn the tables somewhat and keep on carrying the play then maybe they wont be physically punished as they were before.  If they play with 2-3 goal leads maybe they wont need to ride certain guys all the time like they did when they were playing from behind.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Not sure why the NHL selected Kopitar as the third star. Sportsnet’s Three Stars made more sense.

I agree though it was probably just to give Kopitar props for the 900th point. That and they don’t want this years #1 pick too jealous of his brother ;) 

1 hour ago, FireGillis said:

Pettersson is going to win the Hart and Hugues is going to win the calder!  This is the most fun this team has been to watch in forever!  Really happy that the tanking was worth it and works as Pettersson and Hugues are absolute studs!  Some anti tankers will probably still not admit that the tanking was great, but the proof is in the pudding with Pettersson who is the crown jewel of our tanking years! They could not see that the short term pain of losing was worth it for the high draft picks, but now we're seeing it all come together.  Playoffs are a lock this year! 

The west is wide open with no real dominant team anymore, unless you want to label the avs as one and maybe vegas. I know we've had the easiest schedule in the leauge so far, but things look different this year and the team looks for real! Time for tank nation to rejoice! :towel::emot-parrot:

Haha too funny, I love how you turn it around and say we were TANKING ALL ALONG. We never tanked and lost more games then normal because of injuries. We had very good records most years until the injuries racked up. In fact, I remember as early as this offseason the tankers were crying about sucking one more season because we still needed one more piece to the puzzle. This is what happens when you have a GM that knows what he is doing.

• Cheers 1

I couldn't beleive what I was seeng. The spear on Pettersson was dirty, but he was having none of that. Went immediately after the puck, and unfortunately for Martinez, he had it and Pettersson's tackled him along the boards. Then he hammered him again later in the game. This is not your typical Swedish player, or how the Sedins played. He's more Forsberg IMO. Wait until he fills out and get stronger. Such an impressive player. Boeser is amazing, that line is killer. So happy with this season so far, thinking about those first two games (CGY and EDM), and losing those. I guess it just took them 3 games for things to click, and now they're a force to be reckoned with. I'm sure the talking heads will throw any negativity out there to curb the fans hope. That's what they do. But if there are injuries, the Canucks now have depth. I don't see them slowing down. In fact, I expect things to ramp up in the New Year when Roussel is back. Oooh Doggy, this is going to be fun!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Darius said:

Just going around different forums, listening to the talking heads on the radio....there seems to be a theme..."yeah but lets see what they will do when injuries kick in"...as if it is inevitable.

Perhaps our injury prone guys get injured again, who knows.  The way I look at it is if the team continues to play like this and they continue to carry the play then the injuries en masse we have seen during the past few years wont be as likely.

During the past 4 years how many games have we watched with the team hemmed in their own zone, chasing the play, blocking shots, hanging on the best they can?  I think if they can turn the tables somewhat and keep on carrying the play then maybe they wont be physically punished as they were before.  If they play with 2-3 goal leads maybe they wont need to ride certain guys all the time like they did when they were playing from behind.

Gaudette, Baer, Goldy, Juolevi and MacEwen are all as good as Erikkson or Benn or Lievo or Schaller ( even though he has been hot lately)....

This is going to sound weird but what I like about the Canucks is pushback. I know the Sedins it just wasn't in their nature, they were just nice guys that were insanely talented hockey players. But we have seen Bo will drop the gloves if you push the wrong buttons. But to see physical play that Petey did last night just shows this is not going to be a Vancouver team that will be pushovers. This is a club that can beat you in a nice balanced attack. Best of all for the most part the Canucks have dictated the flow of play. 

The best is yet to come! Enjoy the ride!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, nzan said:

Haha, we always refer to Tank Nation and anti-JB...it was about a week ago we all wanted Newell Brown fired. Seems that discussion has quieted down...

Still see too many drop passes on the power play entry, but they are sharp, right now inside the zone.

34 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Not sure why the NHL selected Kopitar as the third star. Sportsnet’s Three Stars made more sense.

Should have gone with Quick, that guy played a heck of a game. Could have been 8-2 without Quick.

36 minutes ago, Darius said:

There is bound to be a year that the team stays healthy as well. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, FireGillis said:

Pettersson is going to win the Hart and Hugues is going to win the calder!  This is the most fun this team has been to watch in forever!  Really happy that the tanking was worth it and works as Pettersson and Hugues are absolute studs!  Some anti tankers will probably still not admit that the tanking was great, but the proof is in the pudding with Pettersson who is the crown jewel of our tanking years! They could not see that the short term pain of losing was worth it for the high draft picks, but now we're seeing it all come together.  Playoffs are a lock this year! 

The west is wide open with no real dominant team anymore, unless you want to label the avs as one and maybe vegas. I know we've had the easiest schedule in the leauge so far, but things look different this year and the team looks for real! Time for tank nation to rejoice! :towel::emot-parrot:

Pettersson won’t win the Hart this year, but he’ll continue to be a rock solid PPG player.   I can definitely see Hughes winning the Calder though.  

If Tryamkin returns to Vancouver this season, I don’t see any reason why we can’t be a dark horse playoff team.   

People talk about getting back to the glory days of 2011, but I could see the return of Tryamkin getting us to the glory days of 94’.

We would be extremely well insures against injuries, and we’d be deep all throughout our line-up.   We wouldnt be the most talented team in the league, but we’d be tough as nails.