The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BRAGGING ABOUT OUR GUYS!!! Update Nov 24th

Rate this topic

Snapshot85

... and honestly it doesn’t even feel like we have played our best game yet.  That sounds weird to say since we have had some blowouts, but we have won games in entirely different ways.  Some nights our PP is crazy good, some nights our PK and defence, some nights the goalie wins it, some nights the depth scoring, some the big guys carry us.

At some point everyone will be firing on all cylinders and I want to watch that game!

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

... and honestly it doesn’t even feel like we have played our best game yet.  That sounds weird to say since we have had some blowouts, but we have won games in entirely different ways.  Some nights our PP is crazy good, some nights our PK and defence, some nights the goalie wins it, some nights the depth scoring, some the big guys carry us.

At some point everyone will be firing on all cylinders and I want to watch that game!

It is a great combination to have. For their sake, I hope we all stay healthy

53 minutes ago, Provost said:

I feel the same way. They've been playing great, but it's sooooo early in the season and they're just starting to click. I honestly feel like we're contenders starting this year. We're only going to get better and better, and we finally have a ton of depth to go deep, something that lots of other teams (i.e. edmonton) just don't have. We're a complete team in all areas with crazy depth, an awesome coach, and an amazing team culture of buy-in and compete. This 50th anniversary is fixin up to be a doozy!

45 minutes ago, jmfaminoff said:

It is a great combination to have. For their sake, I hope we all stay healthy

The Canucks are really deep up front even with injuries.    Assuming a fully healthy roster (I’ll pretend that Roussel replaces Leivo and Ferland moves to the right side), you’d have Motte, Eriksson, Gaudette, Baertschi, and Goldobin as your substitutes.    That is REALLY good depth on the wings and down the middle (Miller can also play Center).  

In net, you obviously have both Marky and Demko.

My *only* small point of contention for this team, is that we are still a little thin of defense (although we’ve come a long way).    As of right now, this Canucks team will be in a bit tough IF TWO of Edler, Hughes, Myers, and Tanev get injured for an extended period of time.   

Like I said - our organizational depth on defense has come a long way, but we’re still not quite where we need to be.

Up front - many of our substitutes such as Baertschi, Eriksson, Leivo, etc., could fill in on the top 6 and not look horribly out of place, whereas guys like Fantenberg, Juolevi, Chatfield, Brisebois, Teves, etc., would pretty much need to be 3rd pairing defensive guys in case of injuries......and as of this writing, they’d be very marginal 3rd pairing calibre guys.    Their presence on the 3rd pairing would force guys like Benn and Stecher to move up to the 2nd pair (a spot where both dmen would be considered ‘marginal’ as far as 2nd pairing calibre dmen went).

Bottom line:  The Canucks are surprisingly deep up front, but are still a little thin on defense.  

What’s the solution?    My hopeful solution is as follows:   Tryamkin returns to the Canucks at some point this season.    IF Tryamkin returns to the Canucks and is used as our designated 7th defenseman (or if not Tree, then one of Stecher or Benn), THEN I would consider our D to be “deep,”.......and would consider our team to be ready to truly ready to battle when you factor in inevitable injuries.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I feel that it is sort of like an analogy I use for my other hobby, modding cars. You can pick two: Cheap, Reliable, Fast.

Id love to see a game where all of those things dominate but i dont know if we will, the other team will always be trying to stop us and i feel like we are winning now because we have all these options. If say the other team focuses on ep then bo's line can dominate, and vice versa. The other team will always be containing a part of our game but the stronger a team is overall determines what spills over.

38 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

The Canucks are really deep up front even with injuries.    Assuming a fully healthy roster (I’ll pretend that Roussel replaces Leivo and Ferland moves to the right side), you’d have Motte, Eriksson, Gaudette, Baertschi, and Goldobin as your substitutes.    That is REALLY good depth on the wings and down the middle (Miller can also play Center).  

In net, you obviously have both Marky and Demko.

My *only* small point of contention for this team, is that we are still a little thin of defense (although we’ve come a long way).    As of right now, this Canucks team will be in a bit tough IF TWO of Edler, Hughes, Myers, and Tanev get injured for an extended period of time.   

Like I said - our organizational depth on defense has come a long way, but we’re still not quite where we need to be.

Up front - many of our substitutes such as Baertschi, Eriksson, Leivo, etc., could fill in on the top 6 and not look horribly out of place, whereas guys like Fantenberg, Juolevi, Chatfield, Brisebois, Teves, etc., would pretty much need to be 3rd pairing defensive guys in case of injuries......and as of this writing, they’d be very marginal 3rd pairing calibre guys.    Their presence on the 3rd pairing would force guys like Benn and Stecher to move up to the 2nd pair (a spot where both dmen would be considered ‘marginal’ as far as 2nd pairing calibre dmen went).

Bottom line:  The Canucks are surprisingly deep up front, but are still a little thin on defense.  

What’s the solution?    My hopeful solution is as follows:   Tryamkin returns to the Canucks at some point this season.    IF Tryamkin returns to the Canucks and is used as our designated 7th defenseman (or if not Tree, then one of Stecher or Benn), THEN I would consider our D to be “deep,”.......and would consider our team to be ready to truly ready to battle when you factor in inevitable injuries.

Just curious as to why you think our defense is a little thin?

Top 4 for goals for

Top 4 for goals against

Almost all our Dmen are in the top 120 in scoring for Dmen

2 of our Dmen are in the top 30

Solid AHL depth, with prospects ready to come up

One in Russia ready to come over

So exactly what is it that makes you think we are thin?

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Wat 1

Just now, janisahockeynut said:

Just curious as to why you think our defense is a little thin?

Top 4 for gaols for

Top 4 for goals against

Almost all our Dmen are in the top 120 in scoring

2 of Dmen are in the top 30

Solid AHL depth, with prospects ready to come up

One in Russia ready to come over

So exactly what is it that makes you think we are thin?

All of that production has come with a 100% healthy line-up, but it’s unrealistic to assume that our defense will be 100% healthy all kd the time.

1). Over the last 4-5 years, we’ve seen atleast 1-2 long stretches of injury to BOTH Edler and Tanev.    

2) We’ve got some good dmen brewing on the farm, but all of those guys would be marginal 3rd pairing NHL calibre defensemen as of this writing (if they were inserted into our line-up).   By contrast - guys like Eriksson, Leivo, Baertschi, and Goldobin could be placed into our top 6 if injuries hit and not look completely out of place.

In a hypothetical situation where both Edler and Tanev got injured, this is what our defense would look like.

Hughes-Myers

Benn-Stecher

Juolevi-Fantenberg

(if Edler our)

Hughes-Tanev

Benn-Myers

Fantenberg-Stecher

(if Tanev out)

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Myers

Fantenberg-Benn

Maybe it’s just me, but those defenses look a little vulnerable all of a sudden with just *one* injury.   With two injuries - we could be in tough.......just as we were the previous 4 years.

Hence, my suggestion.    If a guy like Tryamkin were to return, I think our defensive depth would gain more parity with our depth up front.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

All of that production has come with a 100% healthy line-up, but it’s unrealistic to assume that our defense will be 100% healthy all kd the time.

1). Over the last 4-5 years, we’ve seen atleast 1-2 long stretches of injury to BOTH Edler and Tanev.    

2) We’ve got some good dmen brewing on the farm, but all of those guys would be marginal 3rd pairing NHL calibre defensemen as of this writing (if they were inserted into our line-up).   By contrast - guys like Eriksson, Leivo, Baertschi, and Goldobin could be placed into our top 6 if injuries hit and not look completely out of place.

In a hypothetical situation where both Edler and Tanev got injured, this is what our defense would look like.

Hughes-Myers

Benn-Stecher

Juolevi-Fantenberg

(if Edler our)

Hughes-Tanev

Benn-Myers

Fantenberg-Stecher

(if Tanev out)

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Myers

Fantenberg-Benn

Maybe it’s just me, but those defenses look a little vulnerable all of a sudden with just *one* injury.   With two injuries - we could be in tough.......just as we were the previous 4 years.

Hence, my suggestion.    If a guy like Tryamkin were to return, I think our defensive depth would gain more parity with our depth up front.

A lot has changed

We have gotten faster...............….Hughes

We have gotten heavier...………...Myers and Benn

We have reduced Edlers and Tanevs roles and demands

no team, can withstand injuries to their top 4, but aside from loosing 3 out of 4

we have moved players down the roster in many ways

It is not an absolute that Edler play 1st line PP

It is not an absolute that Tanev play first pairing or be on 1st PK.

And as for Utica Dman...…..think of it this way

Edler, Tanev and Bieska  spent time there and did not come up

as 1st or pairing Dmen, and I think they did ok

I think if anything, we stand the risk next year of loosing some of that depth

at the being of the season, when we make our first cuts

As for Tryamkin, as his number 1 supporter, I hope he comes back

and I hope he plays well and forces Benning's hand, but until he actually

jumps (steps) over the pond to North America

In saying all that...…..it is early and I caution everyone to expect bumps

and yes injuries will cause ripples...…..Let's just give it some time.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I do not mind any fan bragging about the Canucks,because the hockey writers aren't.

Even when the Sedins were playing, our Canucks never got the respect they deserved, 2 total gentlemen,future HALL OF FAMER'S and 1000 point players,NO LESS.

I for one will brag about our team, because they deserve it, with stellar play and with some luck and perseverance we can win our first STANLEY CUP,won't that be great for all of B.C.

Edited by DADDYROCK
  • Upvote 1

Our D looks night and day different from last year. Not getting hemmed in. We have the players with the ability and smarts to make that quick, accurate pass out of the zone, also possessing the speed and danglebility to skate it out when necessary, especially Hughes. I think this is resulting in less pounding on our D and not laying out constantly to block shots, Tanev is most definitely benefitting from playing with Hughes. I feel our transition game is going to result in less man games lost to injury this year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

It is really a symbiotic relationship between the forwards and Dmen

The forwards are backchecking with speed and purpose, and supporting the Dmen

The Dmen are retrieving the puck faster and moving it out a lot quicker

It also works because the forwards are getting the puck from the Dmen in motion

thereby putting a hell a lot of pressure on the opponent 

Not to mention the Goalies are giving the Dmen and Forwards a lot of reassurance

That they can make a save when there is the odd screw up...…..it is all very symbiotic really

Its been fun watching