The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Ducks, November 1, 2019 // 7.00 PM PT // SNP

Rate this topic

ItalianCanuck1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Those young guys could also benefit from the experience - a week up and then bring up someone else.  I don't get why you would want to put someone that is trying to get his career back on track after a tough year in the pressbox.  Most GMs across the league do what they can to give players an opportunity elsewhere.  

why do you think he's going to be in the pressbox?

1 minute ago, mll said:

Nothing has changed.  He's still not a bottom-6 player and the top-6 is full.

Well, Ferland was getting time in  the top 6 and that's who Baer will be replacing.  baer is more than capable of playing beside Sutter anyway.........he's a solid 200 ft player

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well, Ferland was getting time in  the top 6 and that's who Baer will be replacing.  baer is more than capable of playing beside Sutter anyway.........he's a solid 200 ft player

They didn't think he was suited to play bottom-6.  

Game day, Ferland injured against a pretty heavy sized oposition. Does anyone know what lines will be played tonight? first 2 are obvious:

Pearson-Bo-Virtanen

Miller-Petey-Brock

but with Ferland out, then what?

Gaudette-Sutter-Leivo?

I wouldnt mind seeing Baer on the wing but gaud was real good during training camp so he definetly has earned a spot. Baer is an NHL quality player, but hard to get by on the LW when u got paerson, Ferland and Leivo being able to fil that role. I still think Baer could fight for the LW on the 2nd line. Peteys line is intact, lets get that straight. But Baer has a skillset worthy of that 2nd line. Pearson has more power, as well as ferland. Leivo a bit more on the creative end. When u look at it like this its one heck of an improvement from last year i must say. 

Now for the game i think this could be pretty tough. Heavy oposition is not huggy bear and tanevs strength to face when in their own zone. i hope the skillset will be enough for a win and that no one gets some kind of "unnecesary" innjury when fighting for the puck or position. 

if the skills are enough id say a 4-2 win, but if they get caught in a grumpy battle type of game id say 3-2 loss in OT. Hoping theres no underestimation of the oposition so that loss wont be there. Will still enjoy the game, i just love watching our first line produce and score goals. 

goals by Brock, Miller, Edler and Bo. Huggy bear with 2 assists. 

1 hour ago, mll said:

Why would a team deliberately hurt the career of someone.   Being recalled to be an extra also does nothing for his trade value. 

Most times they call up the next best player regardless of whether they think he'll play or not. It's ultimately not at all about rewarding players, it's icing the best Canucks team possible. The guy in the press box is there to fill in at the highest level possible at a moments notice.

30 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I get the showcase aspect in which case he might get up to 3 games and then he's traded or sent back down in that case (like what was done with Gagner). However, then it has to be decided who's sitting out while he's being showcased, which means supplanting someone who's likely been performing decently while the team has been hot. I'm not opposed to Baertschi getting into the lineup, I just don't see who would sit in place of him right now. We could keep sitting Gaudette to bank his waiver status longer, but that doesn't seem to be how the Canucks currently run things as they gave up Motte's waiver eligibility and played him last season.

Boucher has been tried and tested and he's simply a good AHLer. AHL awards mean nothing to an NHL club. Baertschi is the obvious choice to be most NHL ready and we are down a couple of bodies, so why not call him up and let the younger guys get more game time?

this reads like you wrote the first paragraph, then took a break and wrote the second after you learned about injuries.

YOu kind of answered your own question did you not?

Loui is the press box guy

so they sent Gaudette down

Motte got injured, so loui plays until Gaudette gets back

Ferlad gets injured, Loui plays until Baertschi gets back

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Those young guys could also benefit from the experience - a week up and then bring up someone else.  I don't get why you would want to put someone that is trying to get his career back on track after a tough year in the pressbox.  Most GMs across the league do what they can to give players an opportunity elsewhere.  

It is more beneficial to have those young players get the reps and minutes. Seeing what Baertschi has done in the AHL is a demonstration to those young guys on what needs to be done (effort and professionalism) to earn that call up. If the team still views him as a viable depth option, I don't see how that's derailing his career. He's signed for two more years and he can continue to show our team (and others) why he belongs in the NHL. But opportunities need to arise. You don't hold back someone else who's been performing on a hot team because you're trying to get a guy an opportunity to help another team elsewhere. He's clearly a well liked guy in the locker room as shown in his arrival and I'm sure he appreciates being back up with the boys here. He just needs to hope someone falters (or gets injured) for him to get that opportunity in the lineup.

I would feel differently had we called up Baertschi first and kept Gaudette back in Utica. The team is going to reward Gaudette with a run of games, so who's going to sit? LE might be the only option, but shouldn't we be playing him as well if we are hoping to showcase him to trade? LE hasn't looked poor either, so why stir that pot up again and sit him again when there's a spot available for him to play in? I don't see us sitting Leivo for Baertschi as Green clearly went in a different direction here. There simply isn't anyone else that Baertschi would bump out, so he's going to be in the pressbox until an opportunity arises.

Green talked about the professionalism of Eriksson and how as a vet, it is easier to handle sitting in the pressbox and being ready to go in a pinch rather than a young guy. RIght now we are down a couple of guys and we may need a body in an instant. Baertschi fits the bill more so than say had we called up a Kole Lind to get experience.

11 minutes ago, mll said:

They didn't think he was suited to play bottom-6.  

sometimes you need to take what management says with a grain of salt

maybe what was said was said to light a fire under Sven

it sounds like a back handed way of saying," hey Sven you've got something to prove"

so far Sven has done so, at the AHL level

now he has to do it all over again at the NHL level, against tougher internal competition

1 minute ago, lmm said:

this reads like you wrote the first paragraph, then took a break and wrote the second after you learned about injuries.

YOu kind of answered your own question did you not?

Loui is the press box guy

so they sent Gaudette down

Motte got injured, so loui plays until Gaudette gets back

Ferlad gets injured, Loui plays until Baertschi gets back

We had two extra forwards to start the year. LE and Gaudette.

Gaudette was sent down because he wasn't getting games, so it almost ended up as a conditioning stint. Motte gets hurt and LE fills in. Gaudette is the extra. Ferland is injured, so Gaudette draws in and now Baertschi is the extra. So who's going to sit out to get Baertschi in?

I'm not sure I'm understanding your response to mine.

19 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

Game day, Ferland injured against a pretty heavy sized oposition. Does anyone know what lines will be played tonight? first 2 are obvious:

Pearson-Bo-Virtanen

Miller-Petey-Brock

but with Ferland out, then what?

Gaudette-Sutter-Leivo?

I wouldnt mind seeing Baer on the wing but gaud was real good during training camp so he definetly has earned a spot. Baer is an NHL quality player, but hard to get by on the LW when u got paerson, Ferland and Leivo being able to fil that role. I still think Baer could fight for the LW on the 2nd line. Peteys line is intact, lets get that straight. But Baer has a skillset worthy of that 2nd line. Pearson has more power, as well as ferland. Leivo a bit more on the creative end. When u look at it like this its one heck of an improvement from last year i must say. 

Now for the game i think this could be pretty tough. Heavy oposition is not huggy bear and tanevs strength to face when in their own zone. i hope the skillset will be enough for a win and that no one gets some kind of "unnecesary" innjury when fighting for the puck or position. 

if the skills are enough id say a 4-2 win, but if they get caught in a grumpy battle type of game id say 3-2 loss in OT. Hoping theres no underestimation of the oposition so that loss wont be there. Will still enjoy the game, i just love watching our first line produce and score goals. 

goals by Brock, Miller, Edler and Bo. Huggy bear with 2 assists. 

not sure how that follows, if they play a grumpy Duck team they have no space to perform, but if it gets to OT then the skill Canucks get to shine with only 6 players on the ice.

3-2 regular time I could see, but not OT

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Bit premature for that Alf.

Furley is an okay player, but we got him for his ability to be a heavy hitting nuclear deterrent.  He's not able to be that guy if he can't fight.  A fighter who can't fight any more is done as a deterrent.  I liked the Furley signing, but what role does he fill on our team now that can't be better filled by a younger, more skilled, and healthier player - ala Big Mac?

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

We had two extra forwards to start the year. LE and Gaudette.

Gaudette was sent down because he wasn't getting games, so it almost ended up as a conditioning stint. Motte gets hurt and LE fills in. Gaudette is the extra. Ferland is injured, so Gaudette draws in and now Baertschi is the extra. So who's going to sit out to get Baertschi in?

I'm not sure I'm understanding your response to mine.

They do not seem to want to play a guy who arrived on game day

1st game of Motte injury, Loui was the only available forward

2nd game Gaud arrived on game day, Loui plays again

Gaud steps over Loui but Ferland goes home and Sven arrives on game day, so Loui plays again

Tomorrow Sven steps over Loui, imo

Just my theory, so don't ask for proof until tomorrow

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, lmm said:

sometimes you need to take what management says with a grain of salt

maybe what was said was said to light a fire under Sven

it sounds like a back handed way of saying," hey Sven you've got something to prove"

so far Sven has done so, at the AHL level

now he has to do it all over again at the NHL level, against tougher internal competition

His understanding was that his time in Vancouver was over.  He told a Swiss reporter that he recalls the phone call telling him that he is going on waivers - doesn't fit the team.  He was hoping to get claimed but knew that the chance was small because of the timing, when teams are getting their opening night rosters and how much time he missed.  The reporter asked him about Benning telling his agent that the door was not closed and he wondered how can he be a recall option when he doesn't fit the team. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Glad that got cleared up.  Furley is done.  He can't play his game if he gets concussed so easily.  Can he go on permanent LTIR, like Hossa?

Getting a lot of confused emoji from posters.  Furley is a fighter who can't fight anymore.  Explain what role he plays now.