Sign in to follow this  
ItalianCanuck1

[GDT] Canucks @ Ducks, November 1, 2019 // 7.00 PM PT // SNP

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, lmm said:

They do not seem to want to play a guy who arrived on game day

1st game of Motte injury, Loui was the only available forward

2nd game Gaud arrived on game day, Loui plays again

Gaud steps over Loui but Ferland goes home and Sven arrives on game day, so Loui plays again

Tomorrow Sven steps over Loui, imo

Just my theory, so don't ask for proof until tomorrow

Gaudette was called up on game day against the Panthers, so yes Loui was the only option at that point. LE was chosen over Gaudette against LA (not because LE is better, but we had just won so why change the lineup?). Unless the team has a bad night and Loui is a major reason for it, I'm not so sure Sven knocks him out. I like Sven and want him to succeed, but the team is rolling right now. He's been called up because Ferland is out, but that doesn't mean he slots right into that spot. If we didn't have Gaudette, then I could see it being more likely, but Gaudette deserves a string of games with this opportunity.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Quit trolling Alfie. We know you're bored having day time scotch shots. 

Not trolling.  Seriously.  Furley got concussed in a fight.  He's not going to fight anymore.  What role does a guy fill whose job it is to be the deterrent with the threat he will fight, who can't fight?  You guys seriously think Furley doesn't know that his role involves fighting, and the threat he will fight?  

It's a serious question?  We need a new player to take that role.  It's not Baer.  Who then?  

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not trolling.  Seriously.  Furley got concussed in a fight.  He's not going to fight anymore.  What role does a guy fill whose job it is to be the deterrent with the threat he will fight, who can't fight?  You guys seriously think Furley doesn't know that his role involves fighting, and the threat he will fight?  

It's a serious question?  We need a new player to take that role.  It's not Baer.  Who then?  

Ferland's job isn't just to fight. Sure he can step in and drop the gloves when needed, but he was brought in to be physical AND put up points.
If he can come back and still have the same physicality and offence that he's been showing for the last few games, then he's still basically the exact same player they wanted when they signed him.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Ur a Towel said:

Ferland's job isn't just to fight. Sure he can step in and drop the gloves when needed, but he was brought in to be physical AND put up points.
If he can come back and still have the same physicality and offence that he's been showing for the last few games, then he's still basically the exact same player they wanted when they signed him.

You're saying yourself Furley, who clearly shouldn't be fighting ever again, isn't the same player.  Yes, he's a big guy with skill, who can play a heavy game.  He can't fight though, so who in the heck is going to respect him in any scrum when know he won't fight?  Do we want Bo to start fighting for Furley now?  Someone will have to step up and be the deterrent.  Who?  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Concussion protocol is a generic term for a lot of symptoms.  Hopefully it's not as serious as what you're saying.  If he's back in a 2/3 games it's no worry.  I don't even see how he could get concussed in that pathetic fight.  I though he plowed his hand into the guys helmet and hurt his knuckles.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

His understanding was that his time in Vancouver was over.  He told a Swiss reporter that he recalls the phone call telling him that he is going on waivers - doesn't fit the team.  He was hoping to get claimed but knew that the chance was small because of the timing, when teams are getting their opening night rosters and how much time he missed.  The reporter asked him about Benning telling his agent that the door was not closed and he wondered how can he be a recall option when he doesn't fit the team. 

yes, I agree with all that, but he did get recalled after putting up big points in Utica

I just feel you are arguing what was stated verbatim

I suspect that there was a "message" not exactly as stated

Something like "Sven, you are running out of chances, its all or nothing time... your play will show if you really want it".

In enfect this is the same situation as when he was traded out of Calgary, Sven was labeled a perimiter player.

When Sven came up to Vancouver he started playing in the tough areas, and injuries started to mount.

Sven is a bit like Chris Tanev, in that if they play "safe" they don't play well enough , but if they well enough they get injured. For the record I am not saying Tanev ever played safe. But he has paid for the right to maintain his spot on the roster, more consistantly than Sven. The same may be true of Micheal Ferland.

16 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Gaudette was called up on game day against the Panthers, so yes Loui was the only option at that point. LE was chosen over Gaudette against LA (not because LE is better, but we had just won so why change the lineup?). Unless the team has a bad night and Loui is a major reason for it, I'm not so sure Sven knocks him out. I like Sven and want him to succeed, but the team is rolling right now. He's been called up because Ferland is out, but that doesn't mean he slots right into that spot. If we didn't have Gaudette, then I could see it being more likely, but Gaudette deserves a string of games with this opportunity.

so, Gaudette sat the Panthers and Kings games?

That does kind of blow my theory then.

I thoughtLoui looked better the first game, so now I am all out of theories

Edited by lmm

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Concussion protocol is a generic term for a lot of symptoms.  Hopefully it's not as serious as what you're saying.  If he's back in a 2/3 games it's no worry.  I don't even see how he could get concussed in that pathetic fight.  I though he plowed his hand into the guys helmet and hurt his knuckles.

I 100 % agree.  It wasn't even a fight by NHL big boy standards, yet Furley came out of it concussed.  I've been reading on CDC these concussions add up, occur with less force, and have more serious consequences.  I love Furley, but I love our team more (especially our top players) and know we need that deterrent.  

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Its a fair question.

But, honestly why was Ferly fighting a staged fight anyway?  Its not like he took on someone who was playing dirty party tricks on Petey.

He took on a guy who wanted to wake up his own team. It served no purpose for the Canucks. Win, lose apparently, or draw.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Its a fair question.

But, honestly why was Ferly fighting a staged fight anyway?  Its not like he took on someone who was playing dirty party tricks on Petey.

He took on a guy who wanted to wake up his own team. It served no purpose for the Canucks. Win, lose apparently, or draw.

Yup, he got concussed in a nothing fight.  Now how is he any kind of deterrent to guys when the games get even more rough?  He was one of the very few guys who could play top nine minutes, be an effective point producer, and be a tough guy.  IMO, he's done in that roll.  Who plays it now?  Big Mac?  Is he able to play at that level? 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I 100 % agree.  It wasn't even a fight by NHL big boy standards, yet Furley came out of it concussed.  I've been reading on CDC these concussions add up, occur with less force, and have more serious consequences.  I love Furley, but I love our team more (especially our top players) and know we need that deterrent.  

the deterrent is having a guy willing to push the envelope and stick up for teammates, not a guy who's willing to fight -- the other guy has to agree to it, anyway. 

in 2019, where there's a fight in fewer than 1 in 5 nhl games and most teams won't give a roster spot to those kinds of players, as long as ferland still plays physically and intensely, there's no loss in his effectiveness. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Its a fair question.

I think Ferland will be fine and he was not signed to just fight, he is also a good player

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Heavy forwards and a strong goalie, this won't be easy.

...said the Ducks

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Getting a lot of confused emoji from posters.  Furley is a fighter who can't fight anymore.  Explain what role he plays now.  

Ferland has a history of putting up borderline top six offensive numbers. He's far more than a simple fighter.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, mll said:

Calling him up to be a pressbox player pretty much shows other teams that he's not a NHLer anymore.  If he continues to play in the AHL he might still be able to convince a team that he is a NHL option.  His understanding is that the Canucks were done with him.  He was even asked about that meeting between his agent and Benning and was wondering how can he be a recall option if they think he doesn't fit the team.

Derp.....:frantic:

Haha...ok pal.  :picard:

Edit: he didn't play much last year. He got time in the AHL to get his game back. He will get a chance with the Canucks. Read the thread. JB talked to his agent a couple weeks ago and said Baer's time with the Canucks is not over.

Quite making up narratives.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Furley is an okay player, but we got him for his ability to be a heavy hitting nuclear deterrent.  He's not able to be that guy if he can't fight.  A fighter who can't fight any more is done as a deterrent.  I liked the Furley signing, but what role does he fill on our team now that can't be better filled by a younger, more skilled, and healthier player - ala Big Mac?

Still a bit premature.  You have no idea if he is better in short order and starts playing his heavy game again soon.  Just give it a bit of time....he went on the IR a couple hours ago.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Heavy forwards and a strong goalie, this won't be easy.

3-2 Canucks

Yes. ANA is not an easy game. 

Canucks better be ready to play if they want to win. 

• Upvote 1