The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Nov. 02, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

So why did Sautner only play 3 minutes? Injured? Made a mistake? Or just Green being Green? 

1 minute ago, FaninMex said:

Mashed in a very late hit by Dillion in front of the refs with no call.

Yep, nasty play. It was in the first period, he was getting regular shifts until the injury.

4 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Impressed with how the Canucks handled the early physicality and snuffed out that momentum quickly with the two goals.  Great response.  Liked how sutter threw the first Significant Canucks hit there and then pop the first goal in on a nice patient play.

solid team effort but ya sutter has been great this year and led the way early in this game for sure. Foundational indeed.

That was a great hit. Remember I had to rewind it to look again and take the number. It was timed so well too. The Sharks were starting to get into the hitting and had ust taken out Sautner. Great statement hit.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

If SJ gives Ottawa a top 3 pick, does that make Dorian a genius? Sakic got a lot of credit for his "shrewd" trade.

Nah. At the time of the trade I recall the verdict being it was Ottawa basically getting the best they could, most saw it as a clear win for San Jose. I think some folks saw the Sharks maybe taking a step back, but at the beginning of the season there weren't too many predicting San Jose would fall off a cliff.

If Ottawa gets a top pick out of this trade they're very fortunate, I don't imagine Dorian would have expected them to have started out like this. He's doing the best he can working for the NHL's worst owner, but he's certainly no genius. 

Edited by Coconuts

2 hours ago, Canorth said:

Anybody with the ability to rub three brain cells together would immediately realize that the post you quoted was a joke

@Jack Fig is one of the wittiest posters on this forum. I highly doubt he needs your unsolicited support.

ah text, the easiest medium for conveying jokes to people obviously not in on them... very humorous?

4 hours ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Definitely amongst the top Swedes and Canucks in history.

And probably more....  Hughes will help him... And he Huggy will help Petey.  So... Add Boeser, add Demko... How's Gaudette doin'?... )t wait for Rathbone (Makar light)... Dog to a bone PodZ you say?.... Or laqrosse style goals from Hogs?  How about the 200 ft game pedigree and snipe from Madden?  Sorry... I forgot about Tree.... Yah and it's frustating... I haven't had a chance to talk about the Captain or the SHotgun.  I just looovvveee this team!  #likethisteam

Just draft picks alone... And more I didn't mention.

JB rocks!

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Couple other thoughts.

This season has been vindication for Travis Green. Only 3 outright losses in the first 14 games of the season. 2 of which were 1 goal defeats. Calgary winning by 3-0 is the biggest loss Vancouver has had so far. That speaks volumes. The team is in every single game they’ve played this year. That doesn’t happen by accident.

I don’t like everything he’s done as coach at the time, but the results after are hard to argue with. He didn’t make room for Gaudette after a dynamite training camp, played him in Utica had him up as an extra, it felt he wasn’t getting the shot he earned. Who is to know if the way he was handled is the reason for his impressive gameplay defensively and offensively right now? That nothing was guaranteed so he needed to force the coach to keep playing him. 2 goals in 3 games says that’s at least a possibility if not the reality.

Another move I didn’t like was benching Virtanen in the 3rd against the Ducks and in OT. I thought he played ok, but deserved more ice time. At that point Jake hadn’t scored or gotten a point in 2 games after his 3 goal streak ended against LA. What happens the next game? He gets the game winner to push our team to victory.

So I think though probably every fan has doubts and questions on some of Green’s moves in games or outside of them (I did and still do) I also don’t think we give him enough credit for what he’s doing for the Canucks. Our record speaks for itself on his impact to our team.

At last, Canucks fans get to see a 100% healthy Sutter as a 3C and he’s looking a lot like how Benning once described him as a foundational player. To be fair we got to see glimpses here and there, but his injuries took a toll on his body and play over the last few years. And you can tell he’s feeling good by that awesome hit. He’s got some swagger to his game which is well earned.

Games are fun in Canuckland win or lose, which is a pretty exciting time to be a fan.

Yes time are good for all Canucks just now...

Regarding benching Virtanen, I think Green is handling him just fine... Its like he knows which buttons to push to get a reaction from Jake. I do agree it sometimes looks surprising, but none of us knows what is being discussed between Jake and Green... 

Jake has been improving every year, all be it slowly, but improving nevertheless... I fancy Jake to take off during the season.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1