The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Nov. 02, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I thought the Canucks-Avs games last year were some of the most entertaining hockey I have seen.

I can't wait to see the matchup this year.

Great job powering through injuries for more wins.

Sucked that Thatcher lost the shutout.

Do any of these Sharks own a mirror.  Karlsson look ridiculous.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Kind of surprised how relaxed I felt watching that game considering it was in San Jose which has always been such a difficult building before. This team continues to perform and execute the same way they have been for practically the whole season, even reaching that 5 goal total yet again. The only thing that felt like a real struggle was the powerplay, but they still cashed in one thanks to Thornton's lack of discipline giving us the 5 on 3. Hughes has done amazing things on for the PP and many other aspects but the team was still able to play big without him and score big too. Also, the defense did an amazing job playing with only 5 bodies for the second time in back to back games. Also, apparently Bo had a rough night for faceoffs, but you'd never know it from how the game went. I'm beginning to get used to this, and it feels good man.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vermette9 said:

Sucks that we don't get more coverage or are  talked about by the "hockey experts" but on the other hand everyone sleeping on us is wicked. Keep the train rolling 

It took Hrudey (no expert) a lot of effort to just say "I am now taking notice"...lol

after JB went out and got Miller, Ferland, Myers, Benn and a full season with Hughes, the so called experts never saw it coming.

....and addition by subtraction...Poo, Hutton, Gud, MDZ, Granlund...the exact players to let walk

Edited by Pete M
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, spliced said:

Not gonna lie I thoroughly enjoyed the ref giving Thornton a penalty for mouthing off from the bench.

And causing another goal, if I’m not mistaken 1st guy was out when they scored.  Jumbo still in the sin bin

32 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I thought the Canucks-Avs games last year were some of the most entertaining hockey I have seen.

I can't wait to see the matchup this year.

Great job powering through injuries for more wins.

Sucked that Thatcher lost the shutout.

Do any of these Sharks own a mirror.  Karlsson look ridiculous.

Canucks are playing like that when on a daily basis. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Nah. At the time of the trade I recall the verdict being it was Ottawa basically getting the best they could, most saw it as a clear win for San Jose. I think some folks saw the Sharks maybe taking a step back, but at the beginning of the season there weren't too many predicting San Jose would fall off a cliff.

If Ottawa gets a top pick out of this trade they're very fortunate, I don't imagine Dorian would have expected them to have started out like this. He's doing the best he can working for the NHL's worst owner, but he's certainly no genius. 

Go back to the Duchene trade. Ottawa just came off a conference finals appearance and were adding Duchene. I doubt Sakic knew they would fall off a cliff either yet gets credited with making a "shrewd" move. Unless you think Sakic knew about the behind the scenes between Karlsson and Hoffman.

The Avs were just as bad as Ottawa before their upturn. I don't get why people are so negative towards everything that is Ottawa, or they would be just "fortunate" should things actually work out for them. Maybe people don't like Melnyk as a person, but their team has done what a lot of people here had been calling for and have complained about our owner spending and supposedly not getting results during our "rebuild". Seems to be a lot of contradiction.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Been asking this question now for quite some time. Ott picked an interesting time to dump all their vets.

I just don't understand why Ottawa is looked so down upon when they're doing a lot of similar things that Colorado has done and also what many of the "tankers" have called for us to do and yet Colorado are the royalty of the league.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Much later than the infamous “Rome” hit.  I guess when it happens to a call up rather than a Bruin, it doesn’t count?

Let’s face it, the league looks at the player involved. In this case it was Sautner, a no name insignificant player as far as the old boys are concerned. Does not impact revenue 

if it was Crosby or McDavid, Dillon would have received a match penalty and an in person hearing followed by a five game suspension 

get your head out of your a$$ DOPS, do your Fu@king job 

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, FaninMex said:

That was a great hit. Remember I had to rewind it to look again and take the number. It was timed so well too. The Sharks were starting to get into the hitting and had ust taken out Sautner. Great statement hit.

Can anyone provide a video clip of that? Please 

14 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Go back to the Duchene trade. Ottawa just came off a conference finals appearance and were adding Duchene. I doubt Sakic knew they would fall off a cliff either yet gets credited with making a "shrewd" move. Unless you think Sakic knew about the behind the scenes between Karlsson and Hoffman.

The Avs were just as bad as Ottawa before their upturn. I don't get why people are so negative towards everything that is Ottawa, or they would be just "fortunate" should things actually work out for them. Maybe people don't like Melnyk as a person, but their team has done what a lot of people here had been calling for and have complained about our owner spending and supposedly not getting results during our "rebuild". Seems to be a lot of contradiction.

At the time of the Duchene trade Sakic was getting roasted for a while by the media for sitting on him when he’d asked for a trade a year ago etc. and not moving him among other things - then when he made the trade the media turned on a dime and covered  him with accolades for “being patient and getting the best deal he could”.   Fickle bunch.  I’m sure some of the same guys that roasted JB for years will be eating crow too, the better ones already have changed their tune but for the most part they are still waiting to join the bandwagon.

TSN Button leads the charge - saying great things about JB all summer despite the interviewer(s) doing his best to skewer and question the moves (he got mad a little at him which was hilarious when he said absolutely JB deserved an extension and listed the reasons for it AGAIN) - Larkin for THN also is another early adopter (predicted the Canucks would be the next team to win a cup that hasn’t yet this summer - one of 13 asked the same question) and fan of how things are going.

Look forward to watching some guys choke on praise they will inevitably have to give - Mean Face/Pound Fist Kypreos is one of them but he’s gone... Big Head McKenzie speaks they all listen - same with “ Its A Trap” Fish Face Friedman.  

I like Kelly R - mostly from his playing days given how cool was that bandana and he still owns the record for most shots faced and most saves made in a game.   He’s pretty level headed and better then most of those guys.   Ferraro...well he’s going to have to eat some crow with the rest of them soon enough.

As far as OTT goes - they actually had a ton of picks coming back their way even with losing that first (Byram ouch!).  And they’ve been one of the best drafters the last decade or so.   Not a bad way to rebuild - not fun for their fan base I’m sure but at least they didn’t wait and pulled the bandaids all off quick.  Sure the results will have them one of the better young teams in the league in three or four years - maybe less.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, J-23 said:

That one showed the puck crossing the line…

They kept looking at the wrong part. They kept thinking the puck crossed the line as it was kicked across the goal line by Dell's pad but if they left the video running he kicks it out and you clearly see the puck come off the goal line, this is where they kept cutting the video off, and then Dell knocks it back towards the goal line and it slides under his pad and you can clearly see the puck is in the net. The goal line is visible and the puck slides right over it and then when he lifts his pad you can see the puck is in the net.

This is the video of the Dillon dirty hit .,.. 

https://streamable.com/3712i

he sees the pass Sautner makes as he was parallel to Sautner the other side of the net. Dillon then meets Sautner on the right side behind the net

Sautner has made his pass above the red line on the left side of net and then skates behind the red one and the full width of the net .... at that point Dillon hits him 

clear and predatory targeting 

wiill there be a league review? No of course not, it involves a Canucks player 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Not to be a party pooper, but I'm still a bit worried about our ability to go up against the better teams in the league. Our record is awesome and the games are for the most part very enjoyable right now, but it needs to be mentioned that a lot of our wins are against bottomfeeders so far this year. We've feasted on the likes of Detroit, LA, San Jose and Philly, and the times we have gone up against better teams the results have been....mixed. Wins against Florida and St Louis, but losses against Edmonton, Calgary, Washington and Anaheim. We're really not going to know where we stand until we start facing playoff teams with more regularity. 

That said, if you're going to be a good team, you have to be able to feast on the lesser teams, and we're certainly doing that, which at the very least proves that we're a tier above where they are.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1