The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Nov. 02, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

dam canucks are deep who comes out when  roussel is ready to go i love our depth only weakness i see in roster is no heavy fighter than hits and stands up for team  sorry petersson being run all last yr and sautner hit  im getting sick of teams being ultra dirty to our players   i say trade one of  leivo, motte, goldobin, baertchi for 

We have one of those but he's in concussion protocol.

Roussell also brings a ton of grit and hes also injured.

Beagle and Schaller can dish out hits.

We have plenty of size and weight to throw around

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

He looked so ineffective to me last night...hardly knew he was playing (which can be a good thing, but really wasn't).

He also got away with holding a lot...like body hugging stuff that kind of shows desperation to me - really should have been called on one play behind the net...was SOOOO obvious.  Was one of my favourites, but is starting to wilt.  As these guys with experience (and bags full of money) age, the younger generation is taking over.  Have to earn those big bucks...can't coast on them Messier style.

Yes. And I wanted him as a Canuck at one point. Man, was I off on that one. Reminds me of the time I didnt like us picking a skinny, young Swede ahead of Cody Glass. Yikes. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

Yes. And I wanted him as a Canuck at one point. Man, was I off on that one. Reminds me of the time I didnt like us picking a skinny, young Swede ahead of Cody Glass. Yikes. 

Me too!   Whew, dodged a bullet.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

We have one of those but he's in concussion protocol.

Roussell also brings a ton of grit and hes also injured.

Beagle and Schaller can dish out hits.

We have plenty of size and weight to throw around

ferland cant be expected to fight with all his head trauma players like  beagle and schaller or sutter  do nothing when players get run 

50 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

They want the rest of us to be "realistic" when ... the standings are the measuring stick being completely ignore in that.  The points.  Doesn't matter how you get them, it only matters that you do.

Evidently every positive Canuck fan is like Apollo, claiming this is the start of a guaranteed dynasty of at least a decade long, so we need these "realistic" fans to, you know, balance it off...

:unsure:

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Hughes, Pettersson and Boeser would be a trio, wouldn't they?

They were saying Hughes (And the duo of Petterson and Boeser).

1 minute ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Based on what exactly?

1. Canucks are the tallest team in the league, and mid-pack weight-wise

2. Combination of youth and veterans

3. Combination of skill and grit, 2-way players

4. Character players throughout the lineup, including playoff performers and cup champion

5. Depth, both at forward and on defence

6. Two premier goaltenders

7. #3 in GF, #4 in GA

8. #2 FO, #9 PP, #3 PK

9. Can roll four lines without a drop-off in play

What are they lacking, or would need in order to be "built for the playoffs"?

Money to pay off  U Bett man and the ref.s like the big US teams....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gaudette Celly said:

From moneypuck.com:

image.thumb.png.f174db14ef01d2b32c87c407f1c52a86.png

So the Bruins have a better chance at making the playoffs, make 2nd round, make 3rd round than the Canucks. But the Canucks have a better chance at making the finals and winning the cup than the Bruins? How does that work?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

So the Bruins have a better chance at making the playoffs, make 2nd round, make 3rd round than the Canucks. But the Canucks have a better chance at making the finals and winning the cup than the Bruins? How does that work?

Because the east is tougher maybe??

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

The only thing I can think of is that they lost the final last year...repeat loser's syndrome...

This is a bit awkward to say but I think the most positive indicator of where this team really is the frustrating loss against the Capitals.

The first two periods of that game were shockingly dominant. It's a shame we fell apart for the final period. I don't believe that collapse was an accurate reflection of the team's true capability.

Just look at what we've done since.

I think November will show us where we really are.

2 games against Nashville who have been very strong.

Re-match against the Caps

Re-match against the Blues

Re-match against the Oilers

Dallas has been playing much better

Penguins are always good

it's going to be a much harder month

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm sorry, but this just reads as defensive because I'm calling into question the level of our competition thus far. An attempt to frame things in a way where anyone that questions whether our record and place in the standings is indicative of where the team actually stands is characterized as a 'hater' or 'troll', even when these 'trolls' are actually super stoked the team is doing well and only wants to bring to light a legitimate concern that they have. 

The fact is that we've feasted on Detroit twice in these first 14 games. Same with LA. Both of these teams were near the bottom of the league last season, and aren't projected to be any better this season. We creamed San Jose last night, which is great, but San Jose is the worst team in the conference so far this year. Florida has been a legit good team so far this year, but it also needs to be mentioned that we were catching them on a back-to-back. The Rangers have been pretty poor this year as well, and the Flyers are only slightly better and, on paper, aren't projected to do much this season. 

This isn't to put an asterisk next to our wins. Only to state the fact that we've had a pretty kushy schedule thus far. Yes, you still need to take advantage of those types of opportunities and pile up the points, which we've accomplished, but let's not go nuts and say that pummeling LA and Detroit are the same as beating Colorado or Nashville. That's just not the case, and anyone with a trace of intellectual honesty will admit as much. 

The FACT is we'll be facing much stiffer competition in November. No Detroits are LAs to feast on this time. That's why I say this month will be more telling than last month. We'll be up against some legitimate playoff contenders in the coming weeks, and we'll have a better idea of where we stand in comparison to some of the better teams in the league after facing them. 

No question we've have a very easy schedule. Its likely the easiest schedule in the NHL thus far.

It's a fair point and should be taken into account. 

Our record does show we are no longer a bottom feeder team. We are beating these bottom feeders decisively. Out shooting them with wide margins and also +19 in goal differential. These are all very encouraging stats. 

From the way we are playing it looks like we should be fighting for one of two WC playoff spots at end of season.  Anything more is gravy.. 

November will show more realistic potential of this team. So far so good. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I would say tiger, in the early days, was comparable.  However, longevity factors into it.

Pretty sure he just won the master's last year, his first tournament entered this year, and tied Snead for most wins ever, all after having his fourth back surgery to finally fuse his spine, and well into his 40s. 

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

This is a bit awkward to say but I think the most positive indicator of where this team really is the frustrating loss against the Capitals.

The first two periods of that game were shockingly dominant. It's a shame we fell apart for the final period. I don't believe that collapse was an accurate reflection of the team's true capability.

Just look at what we've done since.

Team stopped playing coaches stopped coaching. No timely time out. Could have pulled Marky. Had a very capable Demko sitting on bench. 

WSH got couple of lucky/flukie goals. 

Young team 3rd year coach. They'll all learm from it. 

WSH is a legit Cup contender and a veteran team. They can turn it on when needed. I've watched several of their games this year and they look poised to make a run for cup again this year. 

CGY vs WSH later tonight. Should be a good game. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1