The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Nov. 02, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

37 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Well I agree that it doesn't make him a genius. My point all along was that people have praised Sakic, not solely but largely because of the trade that landed them Byram. We heard it all offseason from many about how Colorado are the darlings of the league in how to run a team. Sakic has done a decent job, but they get way too much credit here especially when many of those same people talk down of Benning during his rebuild.

It's funny, because it wasn't so long ago a number of us, myself included, were wondering what the hell Sakic was doing. Colorado's definitely had some hits with their drafting even before that trade took place, but they seemed stuck in limbo after making the playoffs that one year with Roy. They definitely look to be trending up now though. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, milk and honey said:

Experience 

Injury luck

Prove to ourselves that we can go against the Vegas, Dallas, Nashville or st Louis ect...  Consistently 

2 hours ago, rekker said:

Mostly our star players are still young and not man strength yet.

Okay but those have nothing to do with "how the team is built."  That is, unless you're suggesting that trading Pettersson and Boeser for Matthews and Nylander because they have playoff experience would then mean we would then be "built for the playoffs"?  Meanwhile, Pettersson won the SHL championship as MVP, Boeser won the NCAA championship and Horvat won the CHL title and has also had a series in the NHL post-season.  Are you not "built for the playoffs" because not all your players have "man-strength" yet?  Horvat, Boeser, and Demko would have much to say about that, so there's only really two players that could be said of, and what contender DOESN'T have quality young players who haven't reached that level of physical development?

Again -- how should this team have been built differently to be built as a playoff contender?  What's been done wrong with the mix that other teams did right?

6 hours ago, canuktravella said:

dam canucks are deep who comes out when  roussel is ready to go i love our depth only weakness i see in roster is no heavy fighter than hits and stands up for team  sorry petersson being run all last yr and sautner hit  im getting sick of teams being ultra dirty to our players   i say trade one of  leivo, motte, goldobin, baertchi for 

Damme, but a bit of punctuation here would not be amiss, no?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Okay but those have nothing to do with "how the team is built."  That is, unless you're suggesting that trading Pettersson and Boeser for Matthews and Nylander because they have playoff experience would then mean we would then be "built for the playoffs"?  Meanwhile, Pettersson won the SHL championship as MVP, Boeser won the NCAA championship and Horvat won the CHL title and has also had a series in the NHL post-season.  Are you not "built for the playoffs" because not all your players have "man-strength" yet?  Horvat, Boeser, and Demko would have much to say about that, so there's only really two players that could be said of, and what contender DOESN'T have quality young players who haven't reached that level of physical development?

Again -- how should this team have been built differently to be built as a playoff contender?  What's been done wrong with the mix that other teams did right?

We are built good but other teams have stronger bottom 6s and a better 2nd line. Also we still don't have number 1dman. 

1 minute ago, milk and honey said:

We are built good but other teams have stronger bottom 6s and a better 2nd line. Also we still don't have number 1dman. 

our bottom 6 gets a lot better once Roussel returns and its already pretty good now. We may not have a total package 1D at the moment, but Hughes is that guy on the PP and we have a lot of 2nd pairing quality players. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, milk and honey said:

Our bottom six is actually extremely effective for the roles TG wants them to play-heavy minutes and PK.  Quinn is fast becoming the elite D Man we’ve never had.  

Oh, and the Loser Leafs Suck Socks

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

our bottom 6 gets a lot better once Roussel returns and its already pretty good now. We may not have a total package 1D at the moment, but Hughes is that guy on the PP and we have a lot of 2nd pairing quality players. 

Get that Troll Jimmy.  It’s a Leaf’s fan :sick:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Get that Troll Jimmy.  It’s a Leaf’s fan :sick:

I can't wait for Roussel to come back, he fits this team perfectly. We win that ANA game if he's in the lineup, his ultra-pest quality would have made the difference. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I can't wait for Roussel to come back, he fits this team perfectly. We win that ANA game if he's in the lineup, his ultra-pest quality would have made the difference. 

We lose s bit of intimidating factor with Furley not able to fight, but gain it back with Roussel as a pest.  

14 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Guys let's me real. We are good. Might make the playoffs but we aren't contenders at this point. We had a good start of the season. Had a fairly easy schedule. Let's not plan the parade. We got potential and good isn't good enough come playoff time. You need desire, a little more fight and quick on your feet

11 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Ahh. I think your issue is with myself using the term "built". Maybe not the word I should of used. I've defended JB plenty of times. Applauded many of his moves and generally support the direction of the team. My original comments were more to my opinion that the team is not ready for any kind of long playoff run yet. Some of our young stars need to mature and get stronger yet. Support cast, depth, goaltending, all look good but Hughes and EP would be long shots to navigate a 25 game grueling playoff run IMHO. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

We lose s bit of intimidating factor with Furley not able to fight, but gain it back with Roussel as a pest.  

I'm not too worried about Ferkie, just because he's in the protocol doesn't mean its a serious thing. He could be back very soon and still play a very physical game. 

Rousell and Ferkie back, and AGs spark plug playing makes Loui bench-able too, which should be a bonus for you too :lol: I'm sad for Loui as a person tho, the decline can't be easy. 

44 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's funny, because it wasn't so long ago a number of us, myself included, were wondering what the hell Sakic was doing. Colorado's definitely had some hits with their drafting even before that trade took place, but they seemed stuck in limbo after making the playoffs that one year with Roy. They definitely look to be trending up now though. 

A lot of the success has to do with MacKinnnon finding another level. Sure helps to have the luxury of a 1st overall pick (and making it count even if it took a few years later than expected).

6 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

This is a bit awkward to say but I think the most positive indicator of where this team really is the frustrating loss against the Capitals.

The first two periods of that game were shockingly dominant. It's a shame we fell apart for the final period. I don't believe that collapse was an accurate reflection of the team's true capability.

Just look at what we've done since.

I think the Capitals game was the best thing that happened to this team. Its early enough in the season that can be set as a reminder for the rest of the season. It was a huge blessing in disguise

Keeps the players motivated to play 60 mins. Thanks Washington!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Just want to give a shout out to Benning and Edler. These guys have taken a beating in the media the last several years and they are both looking good right now. Benning has learned a lot in the last 5 years and might be GM of the year if the buys keep this up. Im even seeing positivity on the HF boards. Hell is indeed freezing over. 

Edler has had his ups and downs, but ive always been one of his biggest supporters. The guy had to adjust after serious back surgery. Now that he has help hes playing like a number 1 Dman.  I like this team more then 2011, they have the prospects to insulate the team. In 2011 we had the big names but no prospects to keep up the energy on the team. 

Agreed, but im so glad he is off our PP

2 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

The age used to be about 30, but it’s creeping downward due to the pace pickup of the game and effecting even the all stars now.

I remember a player signing at age 33-34-35 and actually saying to myself... he’s still young  .. not bad.   

That was many moons ago!

Edited by sassbs

55 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

Guys let's me real. We are good. Might make the playoffs but we aren't contenders at this point. We had a good start of the season. Had a fairly easy schedule. Let's not plan the parade. We got potential and good isn't good enough come playoff time. You need desire, a little more fight and quick on your feet

For starters, "plan the parade" is a complete strawman.  All we are saying is that the team has shown it can compete and win against the top-end teams in the league.  Saying "we aren't contenders" is nothing but dismissal, and flies against evidence and reality.  I'm not saying we definitively are and will be contenders 5 months from now, but as Deb says, the way things stand right now there is no reason to so categorically declare we are not.

55 minutes ago, rekker said:

Ahh. I think your issue is with myself using the term "built". Maybe not the word I should of used. I've defended JB plenty of times. Applauded many of his moves and generally support the direction of the team. My original comments were more to my opinion that the team is not ready for any kind of long playoff run yet. Some of our young stars need to mature and get stronger yet. Support cast, depth, goaltending, all look good but Hughes and EP would be long shots to navigate a 25 game grueling playoff run IMHO. 

But that's not what you said either.  You said:

8 hours ago, rekker said:

I'm not convinced we are built for a seven game series let alone four of them.

If we are not "built" or even ready for but a single series in the playoffs, then clearly something is missing or something is wrong with the roster.  I just want to know what those things are, and how this roster has not been put together with the playoffs in mind, which, imo, it has been.  Certainly in comparison to teams like the Leafs it has been better-constructed for the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

For starters, "plan the parade" is a complete strawman.  All we are saying is that the team has shown it can compete and win against the top-end teams in the league.  Saying "we aren't contenders" is nothing but dismissal, and flies against evidence and reality.  I'm not saying we definitively are and will be contenders 5 months from now, but as Deb says, the way things stand right now there is no reason to so categorically declare we are not.

But that's not what you said either.  You said:

If we are not "built" or even ready for but a single series in the playoffs, then clearly something is missing or something is wrong with the roster.  I just want to know what those things are, and how this roster has not been put together with the playoffs in mind, which, imo, it has been.  Certainly in comparison to teams like the Leafs it has been better-constructed for the playoffs.

Our superstars arent ready for a grueling playoff run yet. Even winning one seven game series would be a lot to ask of Hughes and EP. Playoffs are a different level that they have yet to play. If they can get there this year it will be some valuable learning.  What's missing really is time. Time for our best players to mature. 

Edited by rekker
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

Our superstars arent ready for a grueling playoff run yet. Even winning one seven game series would be a lot to ask of Hughes and EP. Playoffs are a different level that they have yet to play. If they can get there this year it will be some valuable learning.  What's missing really is time. Time for our best players to mature. 

Totally agree.  The young Canucks core is going to get better and better over the next 5 years.  Only Horvat is near his prime.  Heck, Podkolzin has another year after this before he's even at camp.

• Upvote 2