Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Nov. 02, 2019

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, rekker said:

 

Our superstars arent ready for a grueling playoff run yet. Even winning one seven game series would be a lot to ask of Hughes and EP. Playoffs are a different level that they have yet to play. If they can get there this year it will be some valuable learning.  What's missing really is time. Time for our best players to mature. 

Yeah, you're going to be surprised, discounting them already as if they have no chance.  Severely underestimating this team, just because a couple players are "kids", and as if they haven't played (and won) under championship-level pressure or never faced adversity.  Equally underestimating the effect of the larger platoon of veterans around them, many of whom have been driving the play this season so far. 

 

Where @Rollieo Del Fuego at?  B)

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Yeah, you're going to be surprised, discounting them already as if they have no chance.  Severely underestimating this team, just because a couple players are "kids", and as if they haven't played (and won) under championship-level pressure or never faced adversity.  Equally underestimating the effect of the larger platoon of veterans around them, many of whom have been driving the play this season so far. 

 

Where @Rollieo Del Fuego at?  B)

 

I appreciate your positivity and I will be cheering them on no matter what. Enjoy the season as it's off to a heck of a start. Playoffs are just a different animal and regardless of how it goes the kids will learn a lot from it.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

A lot of the success has to do with MacKinnnon finding another level. Sure helps to have the luxury of a 1st overall pick (and making it count even if it took a few years later than expected).

No doubt, he's something special. They've gotta be tickled pink with how Rantanen has turned out though. Landeskog is no slouch either. 

 

They've got a wealth of young, talented D and one of em hasn't even made the bigs yet. They'll be battling with the Blues, Preds and Jets for a divisional spot for years to come. Chicago and Minny are fading. Dallas is a wildcard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not a huge san jose fan but wht is going on with E Karlsson there. Dude is not even interested in the game anymore. 

Wilson might be looking to trade that contract already

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

No doubt, he's something special. They've gotta be tickled pink with how Rantanen has turned out though. Landeskog is no slouch either. 

 

They've got a wealth of young, talented D and one of em hasn't even made the bigs yet. They'll be battling with the Blues, Preds and Jets for a divisional spot for years to come. Chicago and Minny are fading. Dallas is a wildcard. 

There's no denying they have a decent young team that might rival with us for the next few years. They simply are on their upswing now and teams generally go through their ebbs and flows. I think they're still missing some key components, but IMO their window is when MacKinnon signs his extension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mikeyman109 said:

Thank goodness we didnt sign him for the 11 million asking price. If you think we have cap issues now what would that have looked like?

Kinda hard to be motivated when you just signed for 100 million.

 

Plus he just had a baby! Congratulations!

 

If Karlsson signed the same deal with the Canucks that would mean no Miller & Myers & Ferland.

 

Baertschi Pettersson Boeser 

Goldobin Horvat Virtanen 

Pearson Sutter Leivo

Roussel Beagle Motte 

 

Edler Karlsson

Hughes Tanev

Benn Stecher

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

There's no denying they have a decent young team that might rival with us for the next few years. They simply are on their upswing now and teams generally go through their ebbs and flows. I think they're still missing some key components, but IMO their window is when MacKinnon signs his extension.

It's nice that they're hitting their stride outside of our division. We're on the upswing while other divisional rivals are trending down. LA's needing a rebuild, San Jose's probably gonna hold of on a rebuild they need due to contracts, Anaheim is in the midst of one. Arizona's moving once Seattle's in, Calgary may have peaked last season, Edmonton is completely dependent on two players and Vegas is competitive. 

 

They've got the premium talent, they just need to fill out top nine and maybe look at their D. Kadri was a good start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sharks waited too long.  They've been keeping themselves competitive but just like Chicago, their time has run out and now they're stuck with a number of huge contracts while facing the reality of needing to rebuild.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Sharks waited too long.  They've been keeping themselves competitive but just like Chicago, their time has run out and now they're stuck with a number of huge contracts while facing the reality of needing to rebuild.

Was thinking the same thing today. Wilson may have overplayed his hand thinking the team had more life in it than it did. They also have no first round pick this year as it belongs to Ottawa, not lottery protect, ouch. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's nice that they're hitting their stride outside of our division. We're on the upswing while other divisional rivals are trending down. LA's needing a rebuild, San Jose's probably gonna hold of on a rebuild they need due to contracts, Anaheim is in the midst of one. Arizona's moving once Seattle's in, Calgary may have peaked last season, Edmonton is completely dependent on two players and Vegas is competitive. 

 

They've got the premium talent, they just need to fill out top nine and maybe look at their D. Kadri was a good start.

I'm not sold on their goaltending just yet. Their defense is fine assuming Timmins and Byram work out for them. Aside from their top line, the rest is suspect. Kadri was a good addition, but losing both Kerfoot and Soderberg didn't help. Can't help but feel they rushed Jost. They're being tested now without 2 of 3 of the top line.

 

Back to the original conversation, Ottawa might upswing similarly in time with teams trending back down.

Edited by theo5789

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I'm not sold on their goaltending just yet. Their defense is fine assuming Timmins and Byram work out for them. Aside from their top line, the rest is suspect. Kadri was a good addition, but losing both Kerfoot and Soderberg didn't help. Can't help but feel they rushed Jost. They're being tested now without 2 of 3 of the top line.

 

Back to the original conversation, Ottawa might upswing similarly in time with teams trending back down.

Yeah, goaltending's always a bit of a weird one. Goaltenders themselves are often a bit strange. They def need to fill out their top 9, it'll be interesting to see if they dip into UFA next July.

 

Ottawa's a weird one, they have a lotttt of pieces they need. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I'm not sold on their goaltending just yet. Their defense is fine assuming Timmins and Byram work out for them. Aside from their top line, the rest is suspect. Kadri was a good addition, but losing both Kerfoot and Soderberg didn't help. Can't help but feel they rushed Jost. They're being tested now without 2 of 3 of the top line.

 

Back to the original conversation, Ottawa might upswing similarly in time with teams trending back down.

They way the Sharks and Senators' seasons are going, Ottawa may well end up with two lottery picks this June. That should do wonders for their rebuild.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantenberg should do ok. He looked solid in Utica. Three games is probably enough to get back up to speed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

They way the Sharks and Senators' seasons are going, Ottawa may well end up with two lottery picks this June. That should do wonders for their rebuild.

They've already amassed pretty good young players and prospects. Their rebuild looks like it's on the right track.

 

Two top 5 picks is very likely. They have two 1st rounders and three 2nd rounders next draft. That's 5 picks in first 2 rounds.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Yeah, you're going to be surprised, discounting them already as if they have no chance.  Severely underestimating this team, just because a couple players are "kids", and as if they haven't played (and won) under championship-level pressure or never faced adversity.  Equally underestimating the effect of the larger platoon of veterans around them, many of whom have been driving the play this season so far. 

 

Where @Rollieo Del Fuego at?  B)

 

I am doing less and less preaching to those that can't really seem to see the game...

 

Now that we have depth we can survive multiple player's being injured, we also have some truculence ...way more than last year...we also have some backup goaltending.

 

We will not only make the playoffs but we will win at least one round...more if everybody is healthy.

 

We have the horses now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep hearing what an easy schedule the Canucks have had to start this season, but if you combine the records of the teams the Canucks have played thus far against the rest of the NHL(minus their games against Vancouver), it's actually a surprising 85-77-22 for a .522 win%.

 

Records of teams vs rest of the NHL 
Wsh 10-2-3

Stl 9-3-2

Edm 9-4-1

Fla 7-2-4
Anh 8-6-1

Phi 6-5-1
NYR 5-4-1
Cal 7-7-2

LA  5-7 played twice
Det 4-8-1 played twice
SJ  4-9-1

NJ  2-5-4

--------------------------
Total record 85-77-22

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Team stopped playing coaches stopped coaching. No timely time out. Could have pulled Marky. Had a very capable Demko sitting on bench. 

 

WSH got couple of lucky/flukie goals. 

 

Young team 3rd year coach. They'll all learm from it. 

 

WSH is a legit Cup contender and a veteran team. They can turn it on when needed. I've watched several of their games this year and they look poised to make a run for cup again this year. 

 

CGY vs WSH later tonight. Should be a good game. 

The fact that we dominated for those two periods was a big sign of things to come, imo. I don't believe we were overachieving either. They turned it on and we fell backward in the third. We lost but we were more than capable of beating them. Can't wait to see the next meeting.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.