The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 05, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Grape said:

Hey Stamkos, here's two screenshot of what I'm talking about

The first one is around the time Markstrom should've realize that the puck was coming to him. This is about a second after the shot by Vancouver is released. Schwartz is at the left side of the screen.

The second one is the moment Schwartz picked up the puck.

All Marky had to do was beat Schwartz and skate, I would say, a third of what Schwartz had to skate, to retrieve the puck.

Again, I'm not a fan of arguing against one of my favorite players, so I'll leave it at that and not continue to argue. I don't want to feel like an HF poster.

Screenshot 2019-11-06 00.56.23.png

Screenshot 2019-11-06 00.54.31.png

Possibly, but I think he would've had to really book it to get there in time. Schenn wasn't skating that fast. Had Marky gone for it, you can bet he would've put on the jets and beat him to it.

Plus, even if Marky gets to it, he has to hammer it down past three Blues with very little time to prep his clear/pass. There's a case to be made for it, but I think it would've been very risky either way. In retrospect, probably still the safer move than taking a 3 on 0, but a hard-to-read situation that happens pretty uncommonly, so I don't blame him for not making that move. Not to mention he was burned on a rush to the puck in our last OT, so I can understand his hesitancy.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Grape said:

Hey Stamkos, here's two screenshot of what I'm talking about

The first one is around the time Markstrom should've realize that the puck was coming to him. This is about a second after the shot by Vancouver is released. Schwartz is at the left side of the screen.

The second one is the moment Schwartz picked up the puck.

All Marky had to do was beat Schwartz and skate, I would say, a third of what Schwartz had to skate, to retrieve the puck.

Again, I'm not a fan of arguing against one of my favorite players, so I'll leave it at that and not continue to argue. I don't want to feel like an HF poster.

Screenshot 2019-11-06 00.56.23.png

Screenshot 2019-11-06 00.54.31.png

Still a massive risk being the slowest guy on the ice, with no momentum, and a certain goal if you miss. 

Even if he gets there, where does he go? Into the neutral zone whereas Binner can send it to one of the three guys who’ll have an open net. The Canucks would’ve still be offside. 

He had no “right” way to play that, and it’s ludicrous to fault him on what he did. 

2 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Well at worst you’d have to say they played an even game which is pretty damn good to do against the defending champs and top of the West but that’s not what I saw.  Canucks outshot them, outchanced them, and really should have outscored them if not for dumb luck tonight

I didnt say they had a bad game.  It was evident they had a tougher time to play their style vs a big experienced team compared to bottom tier teams.  That's why they didn't score 5 again.  Binnington didn't make many awesome saves. The blues D were effective at taking away pt shots until QH got one. 

Overall they competed every shift, and deserved the point tonight.  Obviously Blues is the type of team that will be very tough to beat in a 7 game series.  It shows how far they came since last couple of yrs and they are getting closer to the top teams.  But to say they outplayed the blues in this game is incorrect.  The game vs Dux, yes.  

Just now, -AJ- said:

Possibly, but I think he would've had to really book it to get there in time. Schenn wasn't skating that fast. Had Marky gone for it, you can bet he would've put on the jets and beat him to it.

Plus, even if Marky gets to it, he has to hammer it down past three Blues with very little time to prep his clear/pass. There's a case to be made for it, but I think it would've been very risky either way. In retrospect, probably still the safer move than taking a 3 on 0, but a hard-to-read situation that happens pretty uncommonly, so I don't blame him for not making that move. Not to mention he was burned on a rush to the puck in our last OT, so I can understand his hesitancy.

Yeah, I agree. I do think he was hesitant because of what happened vs. Getzlaf, which was honestly just a really nice move by Getzlaf more so than a bad decision. 

I feel bad for him because if one hadn't happened the other probably wouldn't have either. I would guess that was why he smashed his stick.

I’m kind of on the side of enough of the stick smashing stuff.  Once in a while, like maybe twice per season.....but it’s kinda like people who yell or complain all the time: after a while it loses its effect.

Tonight’s ending was a freak occurrence and I just don’t think it warrants a stick smashing.  Just my .02

of course I’m not a fired up pro nhl’er

• Wat 2

29 minutes ago, Crimson-JH said:

I don’t blame Marky on that situation...  

Damn, those Blues are such a clingy team in the NHL... they love to hold on to everything, especially other players!

They have an assistant couch who specializes in obstruction and how to impede away from the puck..  They're well coached in that area.

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

I’m kind of on the side of enough of the stick smashing stuff.  Once in a while, like maybe twice per season.....but it’s kinda like people who yell or complain all the time: after a while it loses its effect.

Tonight’s ending was a freak occurrence and I just don’t think it warrants a stick smashing.  Just my .02

of course I’m not a fired up pro nhl’er

Woot! Somebody's with me!