The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 05, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

And the best chances we had were when we were crashing around in the crease.  Sometimes those greasy goals are the ones you have to go for if the other stuff isn't working.  Mix it up.

Agreed. They were really aggressive on the PK, and the best way to combat that would probably be to cause some chaos in front of the net. Probably a good idea for even strength play as well actually. 

8 minutes ago, Cluminati* said:

No JV18 in OT when he was probably the strongest forward for us in regulation time. His speed is exactly what we need in OT. But we’ll probably see Eriksson in OT before Jake gets a shot....cuz that’s how Green works.

And I’d probably give Stecher a shot in OT over Tanev and Myers. The smaller and quicker frame in OT may work better, and at least his smaller frame will not take out his own guys in OT as well. 

Canucks are 9-3-3, but yeah what does Green know? Sheesh.l

• Like 2
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

One would think that would warrant a different tactic. I really hope that the PP coach isn’t assuming each PK is the exact same. That first PP was embarrassing. 

The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result. That’s what Newell Brown has been doing for years. 

Our PP came in to the game 9th in the league. It could be worse. Our PK is 3rd in the league, so I'm sure teams are frustrated with their PPs after playing us as well.

They had a good PK system that requires a lot of energy. Their PK deserves the credit rather than our PP getting dumped on.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I didnt say they had a bad game.  It was evident they had a tougher time to play their style vs a big experienced team compared to bottom tier teams.  That's why they didn't score 5 again.  Binnington didn't make many awesome saves. The blues D were effective at taking away pt shots until QH got one. 

Overall they competed every shift, and deserved the point tonight.  Obviously Blues is the type of team that will be very tough to beat in a 7 game series.  It shows how far they came since last couple of yrs and they are getting closer to the top teams.  But to say they outplayed the blues in this game is incorrect.  The game vs Dux, yes.  

So you’re saying that Blues outplayed the Canucks then?  Cause I could probably count the blues chances on one hand tonight.  If the Canucks had a hard time generating then the Blues couldn’t do anything against us.

• Cheers 1

Just now, theo5789 said:

Our PP came in to the game 9th in the league. It could be worse. Our PK is 3rd in the league, so I'm sure teams are frustrated with their PPs after playing us as well.

They had a good PK system that requires a lot of energy. Their PK deserves the credit rather than our PP getting dumped on.

My issue is the zone entry. I was mortified when Huggybear has open space to skate into the zone, a man on his back, and still he turned and passed around the guy. This happened multiple times. 

It’s one thing to be stuck in a system, it’s another to be so addicted to said system that that Brown is risking giveaways and short handed opportunities for more failed entries. 

19 minutes ago, BPA said:

Was at the game.

The Blues play a stifling trap game.  They were positionally sound, blocking shots, and getting sticks in the way.  It was frustrating.   That was near playoff style hockey as you can get.

Think the above post most accurately describes what I thought.  They neutralized nux strengths really well.  Once they scored, they were content to just keep the pressure off their end. PK was quite effective too. 

4 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

So you’re saying that Blues outplayed the Canucks then?  Cause I could probably count the blues chances on one hand tonight.  If the Canucks had a hard time generating then the Blues couldn’t do anything against us.

3 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

My issue is the zone entry. I was mortified when Huggybear has open space to skate into the zone, a man on his back, and still he turned and passed around the guy. This happened multiple times. 

It’s one thing to be stuck in a system, it’s another to be so addicted to said system that that Brown is risking giveaways and short handed opportunities for more failed entries. 

I'm sure if Hughes felt there was a ton of open ice that he would have the green light. He likely didn't want the low percentage play of trying to carry past a defender and having the guys flat-footed or simply coughing up the puck by a simple stick check. The drop pass is used by every team in the league, so it's clearly an effective play that is respected in the league. Zone entries simply aren't easy.

Seems rather pointless to complain about a 9th ranked PP (now 11th) because clearly it could be way worse. Even when we gained the zone, we weren't able to execute against a PK that was hard to break down.

• Upvote 2

Overall, a great effort by the guys! 

Their energy is amazing. You can sense they want it. 

And that's what it takes to become elite. 

Plus, they did it against the defending Stanley Cup champs, the "Klingon Blues"! 

It's going to be tough, but between them and the "Floppin' Flames", we're looking rock-solid.