The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 05, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Don’t have a problem with Marky smashing his stick.It shows emotion and a willingness to compete imo.Was listening to a bit of he post game on the radio and Cory Hirsch  seemed to think Marky was mad at himself more than anything.Thats coming from a former goalie so take it for what it’s worth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

How do you come to that conclusion?  Even with Tarasenko injured, they are still a top 5-6 team, imo

Penguins, Tampa, Boston,  Nashville,  Washington, Colorado are better imo. Maybe Vegas and Dallas.  Maybe us to but that's being Homer at this point 

I am not high on them because they won the cup tbh. Very rarely does a team after winning a cup make it deep into the playoffs. Especially a team like St Louis that was near the bottom till January. They will make playoffs but can't seem them past 2nd round. 

Edited by milk and honey

I was impressed with the boys last night, they persevered against a top level team that was digging deep into their obstruction toolbox to not let our guys play. Even when the Blues had zone time the Canucks did a great job keeping them to the outside and limited high danger chances. These 2 teams and their playing styles would make for an epic playoff series. And as for Marky breaking his stick, I've got no issues with it after the final buzzer as long as he keeps calm and quiet between the whistles which is what Ian Clark has worked with him to do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Yip. Can almost guarantee Baer slots in with Bo next game.

I think thats the next or main area to improve on. Perhaps a rookie comes in next year. 

Pearson is a Higgins. Not a  legitimate full time top6 player but can fill in. Ferland is the same. Ferland is useful come playoff time.. He is the type of guy who will kick it another level when you need something. Similar to big buff when he was in Chicago 10years ago. 

We are pretty close to contending. I think we could win a round this year and push it to 6 or 7 in the 2nd round

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

Penguins, Tampa, Boston,  Nashville,  Washington, Colorado are better imo. Maybe Vegas and Dallas.  Maybe us to but that's being Homer at this point 

I am not high on them because they won the cup tbh. Very rarely does a team after winning a cup make it deep into the playoffs. Especially a team like St Louis that was near the bottom till January. They will make playoffs but can't seem them past 2nd round. 

Well, they're the defending champs and currently sit 3rd overall in the league so.........

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

I’m sure part of the players “code” is don’t unnecessarily embarrass another player.

I think Marky was somewhat embarrassed with that 3-0. Marky did the best he could on that play, and it will most likely turn up on “Miscues of the week”. And the Blues players overly celebrating that they scored on a 3-0, just added fuel. I’m glad Schenn was somewhat startled at Markys stick smash. That may send a message to the Blues that from now on, its ON!

This game is just adding another layer to the Canucks. The growth continues.

47 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

I was impressed with the boys last night, they persevered against a top level team that was digging deep into their obstruction toolbox to not let our guys play. Even when the Blues had zone time the Canucks did a great job keeping them to the outside and limited high danger chances. These 2 teams and their playing styles would make for an epic playoff series. And as for Marky breaking his stick, I've got no issues with it after the final buzzer as long as he keeps calm and quiet between the whistles which is what Ian Clark has worked with him to do. 

I heard after the game he took his stick and beat the hell out of his r8 

Edited by falcons
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

No.

Thats not what I mean.

This is an example of a player being mad because he made a mistake, peeling of the other way, as it were. 

I mean, I want to see a player break his stick when a goalie lets in a softy. 

And make sure it’s right there in the play with the camera still rolling. That would be some payback. 

Goalies drive me nuts. 

As a Dman, you have to keep their ego up and share blame when they get scored on, but not the accolades when they get to make an easy save. 

I just can’t stand when they must emphasize a mistake someone else might make, but you must never, ever reciprocate as a skater. 

I think you might be jumping to conclusion as to why Marky slammed his stick. 

Was it because he was mad at his teammates? 

Was it because he thought he misplayed the situation and thought he might have had enough time to skate out, flip the puck back and send his team going the other way? 

Was it because he's a fierce competitor and really wanted to make that 3 on 0 save and win his team the game? 

It's unfair to say he slammed his stick because he was mad at his teammates without fully being inside his head

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cromeslab said:

Don’t have a problem with Marky smashing his stick.It shows emotion and a willingness to compete imo.Was listening to a bit of he post game on the radio and Cory Hirsch  seemed to think Marky was mad at himself more than anything.Thats coming from a former goalie so take it for what it’s worth.

I think he was mad at himself too... not for not making the save, but for not going after the puck before the Blues could skate to it.  Was my first thought watching that develop live.

Marky seems like a good team guy. I don't think his teammates would feel a type of way about him smashing his stick upon losing the game. I think genuinely think Marky loves his teammates (watch how his face lights up in the preseason locker room video when Bo's named captain), absolutely hates losing. I want that in a goalie. He's highly competitive. 

So this was the perfect 1970's game. One ref, lots of penalties let go. Hard play, and an embarrassing overtime loss. Couldn't have made this more accurate and true to form.:sadno:

On a fun note, that had a playoff feel at times. In November. I think the Blues had a clue who they were up against. I think we are going to be a very very good team.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Darth Canuck said:

I’m sure part of the players “code” is don’t unnecessarily embarrass another player.

I think Marky was somewhat embarrassed with that 3-0. Marky did the best he could on that play, and it will most likely turn up on “Miscues of the week”. And the Blues players overly celebrating that they scored on a 3-0, just added fuel. I’m glad Schenn was somewhat startled at Markys stick smash. That may send a message to the Blues that from now on, its ON!

This game is just adding another layer to the Canucks. The growth continues.

I’m going to make this one last comment on it, especially since there appears to be little appetite for it on here - Marky has broken his stick over blown-coverage plays (odd man rush), deflections, screens and whatever else in the past... I shouldn’t have to point out as we were all there the past few seasons and keeping score. 

This wasn't an isolated incident, is all, and if he’s mad at himself, how babyish anyways.

It was a 3-0 ffs, is that the kind of emotion you want from him there? “Oh he’s such a competitor.” Thats no excuse and I’d be reining that stuff in as a coach or GM. 

Save the drama, which this guy has a history of. There were also some comments he made a few years ago to bring into this, but I’m not looking to dump on him, just the irrational stick smashing thing, unless it’s truly worthy of it, like when the ref wins the game or something like that happens. 

Like I said before, it would be cool if the Dmen out there could instead be the ones giving the humiliating, singling-out, death stare to their goalie on a botched play, rather than what is the norm of the goalie ensuring the building knows who made a boo boo. 

I like Marky, but his predictably emotional outbursts are unprofessional at best and “hates to lose” is a ridiculous reason to behave that way, unless you think that’s how leaders lead?

To each their own. I’d rather a goalie who isn’t throwing a tantrum because he couldn’t win a 3-0 play. Spare me the drama, Marky. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I think you might be jumping to conclusion as to why Marky slammed his stick. 

Was it because he was mad at his teammates? 

Was it because he thought he misplayed the situation and thought he might have had enough time to skate out, flip the puck back and send his team going the other way? 

Was it because he's a fierce competitor and really wanted to make that 3 on 0 save and win his team the game? 

It's unfair to say he slammed his stick because he was mad at his teammates without fully being inside his head

I’m not jumping to anything. 

He has a history of doing this stuff. 

Fierce competitor?

Isn’t Myers, Miller and the rest? No broken sticks though. 

We can agree to disagree on how to behave out there, bud, especially over something so trivial to us fans. 

Lol wrong crowd, I get it. 

I’m not dying on this hill/point. 

9 minutes ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

So this was the perfect 1970's game. One ref, lots of penalties let go. Hard play, and an embarrassing overtime loss. Couldn't have made this more accurate and true to form.:sadno:

On a fun note, that had a playoff feel at times. In November. I think the Blues had a clue who they were up against. I think we are going to be a very very good team.

To me it felt like a playoff game. 

No room, active sticks, tight to the points, calculated shots, not many going wide and back out of the zone, heavy, super goaltending, big PKs... it was a fun game and a masterful road win by one of the best... and the Canucks were right their until the very end. 

What more can we ask for as this stage of the roster cycle? 

Firkland, that’s about it. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1