The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Nucks @ Hawks November 7 2019 5:30pm Pacific - watch live on SNP

Rate this topic

xereau

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why does Baertschi need to get playing time? Because he was called up? I don't get that. Certainly he's a fan favorite here, but the team is clipping along perfectly fine without him in the lineup. If someone is injured, I'd be all for giving him a shot, but until that time, I'm thinking Green might stay with the roster that's working.

They shouldn't have called him up.  They could have called up a prospect for the experience and the extra cash.  They need to find a way to move his contract and it's not by sitting him that they will achieve that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why does Baertschi need to get playing time? Because he was called up? I don't get that. Certainly he's a fan favorite here, but the team is clipping along perfectly fine without him in the lineup. If someone is injured, I'd be all for giving him a shot, but until that time, I'm thinking Green might stay with the roster that's working.

I guess for some people , with some players , 4 years is not a long enough demo period.

Jake's a bust, Jake's a bust! Oh wait Jake is not a bust and he is scoring at the same rate that Baertschi scored last year

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Gaudette looked completely overmatched and overwhelmed against the Blues, Baer deserves a shot after that, imo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

At the start of the season when teams are trying to get under the cap and down to their 23 player roster.  There are also concerns with his concussion history - teams need to know that he can still play.

It's just going to get more expensive to move him.  They need his cap space and if he doesn't play anywhere hard to get another team to trade for him.  Wouldn't be surprising if it ends up in a buyout but it has a cap hit (1.77M the 1st year and then 800K).

----

Are they really trying to develop Gaudette as a winger.  Thought he was Sutter's replacement at some point.  He becomes waiver eligible in 12 games and cannot return to the AHL for development.  

Agree he is like LE in that we don't really need them anymore yet we are handcuffed at this point.

Gaudette is an interesting anomaly. You are right , he probably is Sutter's successor yet Sutter is not done yet. Gaudette earned his right to play but his position is not open yet. He has earned his way on the team and unfortunately the only spot open is the wing. Arguably, he is playing in Virt's spot but this may change later in the season.

Right now there is no room for Beart as the players right now are playing great and no need for a change at this point.

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, hobart16 said:

I hope Baertschi gets a shot and does well.  Chicago is probably a good team for him to play against and he does have chemistry with Horvat.  It is funny how the chemistry thing works.  I think Beagle, who is playing amazingly well, had a lot of chemistry with Motte and those two were a menace even on offense.  Without Motte, Beagle has disappeared from the O zone a little, not that anyone is expecting him to score.  Sutter also seems to show up more with some players more than others.  He and Gaudette aren't bad together.  

I hate to pick on Loui but that guy seems to drag everyone down offensively.  He is responsible on D.  Never seen him have chemistry with anyone on the canucks and the guy played with the Sedins and Horvat who make everyone look good.  

I have noticed the Beagle line getting hemmed in their own zone more since Loui  has taken Motte's spot

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

They shouldn't have called him up.  They could have called up a prospect for the experience and the extra cash.  They need to find a way to move his contract and it's not by sitting him that they will achieve that.

I totally agree with you POV on this

Sven sitting down in the AHL scoring at a 2 pts per game level, only lets other teams that need a LW that Sven is too skilled for the AHL. It does not say that Sven can play for the Canucks.....

In saying that, I think Benning  has been platooning guys up here that deserve it, so that they can get a NHL pay check...I think it is pretty classy, and doesn't hurt the team.

It may not be the best thing to do from a development POV, but it does send a good message to Utica, and around the league

• Like 1

Just now, Darius said:

id rather have the kid they are building up for the future get overwhelmed by the stanely cup champs as a learning experience in the lineup over a guy they are clearly trying to part ways with. 

If this team is going to be a force in the future they need to develop Gaudette as a key piece IMHO. 

then he needs to develop in Utica as an offensive cman

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, stawns said:

Gaudette is NHL calibre, dont think he needs more time in Utica.  

12 points in 16 games in the AHL....23 years old...time is now for him...

• Upvote 1

Just now, janisahockeynut said:

I totally agree with you POV on this

Sven sitting down in the AHL scoring at a 2 pts per game level, only lets other teams that need a LW that Sven is too skilled for the AHL. It does not say that Sven can play for the Canucks.....

In saying that, I think Benning  has been platooning guys up here that deserve it, so that they can get a NHL pay check...I think it is pretty classy, and doesn't hurt the team.

It may not be the best thing to do from a development POV, but it does send a good message to Utica, and around the league

Baertschi earns the same in the AHL.  He's on a one-way deal.  He actually makes more money in the AHL because there is no escrow there.

Leaving him in the AHL shows that he is too good for the league and might draw interest from other teams.  Teams out east often have management at the games. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

Baertschi earns the same in the AHL.  He's on a one-way deal.  He actually makes more money in the AHL because there is no escrow there.

Leaving him in the AHL shows that he is too good for the league and might draw interest from other teams.  Teams out east often have management at the games. 

genuine question here (and may be a dumb one)  what does this mean?  Escrow?  They put money aside for something in the NHL?

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

5 minutes ago, Darius said:

Gaudette is NHL calibre, dont think he needs more time in Utica.  

12 points in 16 games in the AHL....23 years old...time is now for him...

I see him similar to Bo. Yes he needs to work on things but he can play in the NHL and keep on developing. I seen Gaudette's size being an issue in the past and not so much now. We have other players doing the same thing; Petey,Boes and Hughes so Gaudette is no different. None of them are finished products yet.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Agree he is like LE in that we don't really need them anymore yet we are handcuffed at this point.

Gaudette is an interesting anomaly. You are right , he probably is Sutter's successor yet Sutter is not done yet. Gaudette earned his right to play but his position is not open yet. He has earned his way on the team and unfortunately the only spot open is the wing. Arguably, he is playing in Virt's spot but this may change later in the season.

Right now there is no room for Beart as the players right now are playing great and no need for a change at this point.

Im not so sure that he's earned anything.  His points per game is still below bottom six and he looked pretty damn outmatched against the blues.  

Feels like we are forcing this concept.  Doesnt look like a lock to me.