The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Call for Proposal's (Jason Zucker) - Discussion

I am going to do this a little differently this time. So, I think we are doing great, and this is just for interest to see what kind of idea's will come out.

What would it cost to get Jason Zucker? Keep in mind, that Minnesota is in a down turn, and would love some of our younger players and prospects.

Prospects not in play Podkolzin , Hoglander, Madden and Rathbone

IMO, players that are in play are

Ferland, Leivo, Pearson, Baertschi, Sutter, Ericksson, Virtanen, Motte

Goldobin, McEwen, Lind, Palmu, Keppan, Karlsson, Lockwood and Focht

Tanev and Stecher

Joulevi, Brisebois,  and Saunter

DiPietro

Please note Jason Zucker is scoring at a 50 point rate, on a bad team

Jason Zucker is 27 yrs old, and plays both LW and RW, and plays on the first line

Zucker makes $5.500,000 for 4 years, counting this one.

Minnesota has $2,955,444 in cap space

My thought in this, we just look so close to a top 10 club, it isn't funny. With Roussel coming in, sometime in the next month, we are going to be getting even stronger. Adding a player like Zucker to the current lineup, makes them even tougher to play against. I believe we can move enough cap to fit him in.

I also, think Minnesota is looking for a deal. (They were in the summer)

Hey, if it is a rotten idea, say so, and say why...…….

If there is no support, just let it die in indifference.....Thanks!

Edited by janisahockeynut

Fenton wanted to deal Zucker but not Guerin - he told him he was safe (for now) when he took over. 

Zucker was made available by Fenton because he has struggled to make an impact in the playoffs.  Last time vs the Jets he had 0 points.  The Wild made the playoffs 6 consecutive years.  The past 3 times he had 3pts in 16 playoff games.  

This season is highlighting their lack of speed.  I don't think he's the first guy they'd want to trade.  He's one of their fastest players on a team that is far too slow.  

The Wild were not interested in what the Canucks had to offer this summer.  Russo mentioned Virtanen, Tanev as part of the players offered up.  Russo says Sutter can be had - Guerin looking for a top-6 C but not interested.  Guessing Baertschi, Leivo, Goldobin, Motte etc were also offered.  As for the 2 names added to the list:

- Ferland had no impact in the playoffs for Carolina and ended up on the 4th line.  It would just be a repeat of the guys they traded.  He probably can't be a physical deterrent anymore with his concussion history and his production is just not sufficient on a low scoring team like the Wild.

- Pearson plays 17 min a night and has only 6pts in 15 games playing with Horvat on a high scoring team.  He'd likely be even less productive with lesser linemates on the Wild.

As for prospects.  I don't think the Wild would go down that route again as it hasn't worked out for them.  Donato hasn't really worked out and Fiala is a big question mark.   If they trade Zucker it's probably to embrace a rebuild and they would likely target draft picks.

LeBrun believes that Guerin wants to be patient and is still evaluating the team.  

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Because that’s remotely realistic.  

No its because the value of players is the same.

Regardless zucker is not what is needed for the canucks. 

Canucks top 6 set? Close.

Canucks bottom 6 set? Too many players.

What do the canucks need in the top 6?

A young, bigger RH winger for Horvat? BINGO!

Is Zucker any of those?

Is he an upgrade in D? A nice young RHD ?

please no more zucker to canucks, it's not gonna happen.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, mll said:

Fenton wanted to deal Zucker but not Guerin - he told him he was safe (for now) when he took over. 

Zucker was made available by Fenton because he has struggled to make an impact in the playoffs.  Last time vs the Jets he had 0 points.  The Wild made the playoffs 6 consecutive years.  The past 3 times he had 3pts in 16 playoff games.  

This season is highlighting their lack of speed.  I don't think he's the first guy they'd want to trade.  He's one of their fastest players on a team that is far too slow.  

The Wild were not interested in what the Canucks had to offer this summer.  Russo mentioned Virtanen, Tanev as part of the players offered up.  Russo says Sutter can be had - Guerin looking for a top-6 C but not interested.  Guessing Baertschi, Leivo, Goldobin, Motte etc were also offered.  As for the 2 names added to the list:

- Ferland had no impact in the playoffs for Carolina and ended up on the 4th line.  It would just be a repeat of the guys they traded.  He probably can't be a physical deterrent anymore with his concussion history and his production is just not sufficient on a low scoring team like the Wild.

- Pearson plays 17 min a night and has only 6pts in 15 games playing with Horvat on a high scoring team.  He'd likely be even less productive with lesser linemates on the Wild.

As for prospects.  I don't think the Wild would go down that route again as it hasn't worked out for them.  Donato hasn't really worked out and Fiala is a big question mark.   If they trade Zucker it's probably to embrace a rebuild and they would likely target draft picks.

LeBrun believes that Guerin wants to be patient and is still evaluating the team.  

Good information.  Personally I see the tendency to want more, one more legitimate top six guy would give Horvat something to work with and maybe Zucker is the guy.  However from a cap management perspective it just won’t happen.   We will have to continue to rely on guys like Leivo and Pearson to make it work until EP and Hughes get paid,  whatever we are going to do with Markstrom is done and whomever we are going to re-up is done too.   The only cap dump I can see happening is a move like TO did with Marleau at the end of next year with LE, and it will cost us a first.   Shaving the last year of LEs contract would free up some of the money needed for Hughes and EP.  Sutty Balls and Tanev will also probably be moved on from with a minimal return (let’s say a couple of seconds).   AG replaces Sutter and a cheap alternative placeholder replaces Tanev, possibly or maybe Woo is ready and Stecher is re-upped if Tree isn’t coming back.  

Until LE cap hit is off our books and Luongos recapture penalty we are stuck with what we have for the most part.  Sure a trade could help with this (or maybe we waive someone who actually gets picked up) but we just don’t have the extra cash given who else needs a raise over the next two years.  

Not sure we want this guy, at any price. Our cap situation is going to begin to get serious over the next 3 seasons and to keep the main core of Petey, Brock, Hughes + the vets already under contract Jims going to have to be careful not to pick up guys that will be potential anchors, particularly non-playoff performers.

We're probably going to have to let guys walk and/or pay a little to move a body or two to keep the core talent here. Expansion is actually a help to us in this regard. So I think the focus should be on keeping the young core surrounded by guys like Bo and Benn, continue the development of the next wave of guys that we'll see sooner than later like Juolevi, Podz, Hoglander and not take on any more veteran contracts that aren't internal extensions. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am going to do this a little differently this time. So, I think we are doing great, and this is just for interest to see what kind of idea's will come out.

What would it cost to get Jason Zucker? Keep in mind, that Minnesota is in a down turn, and would love some of our younger players and prospects.

Prospects not in play Podkolzin , Hoglander, Madden and Rathbone

IMO, players that are in play are

Ferland, Leivo, Pearson, Baertschi, Sutter, Ericksson, Virtanen, Motte

Goldobin, McEwen, Lind, Palmu, Keppan, Karlsson, Lockwood and Focht

Tanev and Stecher

Joulevi, Brisebois,  and Saunter

DiPietro

Please note Jason Zucker is scoring at a 50 point rate, on a bad team

Jason Zucker is 27 yrs old, and plays both LW and RW, and plays on the first line

Zucker makes $5.500,000 for 4 years, counting this one.

Minnesota has $2,955,444 in cap space

My thought in this, we just look so close to a top 10 club, it isn't funny. With Roussel coming in, sometime in the next month, we are going to be getting even stronger. Adding a player like Zucker to the current lineup, makes them even tougher to play against. I believe we can move enough cap to fit him in.

I also, think Minnesota is looking for a deal. (They were in the summer)

Hey, if it is a rotten idea, say so, and say why...…….

If there is no support, just let it die in indifference.....Thanks!

We are playing great, we have awesome depth, even when we lose, we are generally outplaying the other team.

Why do we need Zucker???

Depth is not a dirty word, its what most successful playoff teams have.

That's my two cents.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

We are playing great, we have awesome depth, even when we lose, we are generally outplaying the other team.

Why do we need Zucker???

Depth is not a dirty word, its what most successful playoff teams have.

That's my two cents.

Thanks Vegas

That is a great question, which I hoped more would make.

I don't mind at all, people having a difference of opinion on this

Matter of fact, I think I worded it as a discussion instead of a proposal, just to do that.

I will answer, your question, with a question....If you do not mind

Do you think we have a team that is good enough to win the cup? 

I do not think we have the personnel yet.....I do think we are close

I think, from what I have learned about Zucker that he is a fast, creative, offensive, and aggressive type player 

I don't mind being proven wrong, it is why I put up the debate, but he would help make us more dynamic

The question is, is it a good idea? Do you think he would help. Is he an upgrade?

I think finding the cap, is the least of our problems, if we want him

Spending the long term assets, is my biggest concern

So, I wanted to come to CDC to get some more opinions...…..then I get Alf and Co, clowning around

• Upvote 1

the question shouldn't be, would he make us better? he might be the perfect winger for bo.  i think we’ld have to know how he fits now and going forward. cap and position wise. i like zucker’s game and moxy.  i’m sure JB’s scouts and capologist would know. pearson will be done by the time podkolzin arrives. hoglander is a 3rd liner they say. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Thanks Vegas

That is a great question, which I hoped more would make.

I don't mind at all, people having a difference of opinion on this

Matter of fact, I think I worded it as a discussion instead of a proposal, just to do that.

I will answer, your question, with a question....If you do not mind

Do you think we have a team that is good enough to win the cup? 

I do not think we have the personnel yet.....I do think we are close

I think, from what I have learned about Zucker that he is a fast, creative, offensive, and aggressive type player 

I don't mind being proven wrong, it is why I put up the debate, but he would help make us more dynamic

The question is, is it a good idea? Do you think he would help. Is he an upgrade?

I think finding the cap, is the least of our problems, if we want him

Spending the long term assets, is my biggest concern

So, I wanted to come to CDC to get some more opinions...…..then I get Alf and Co, clowning around

I think we are very close to being a team that could win. I base this on the fact that Pettersson is way ahead of development curve than any of us thought he would be and the same for Hughes.

We have a young and heavy team, and we have a lot of depth that could carry us the distance.

Playoffs are a war of attrition, and that is where we lost in 2011, in my opinion. We ran out of healthy players, and we weren't punishing Boston enough.

I think we might want to do minor depth add at the deadline, or if Tryamkin is able to sign back, he would give us a really punishing presence on the back end. Not that he plays a real hard hitting game, but when he does hit someone (see Jamie Benn), they feel it.

Considering how far ahead of development expectation that we are, I think its really worth, just giving this group a chance to see how far they can take things, without sacrificing our depth. 

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think we are very close to being a team that could win. I base this on the fact that Pettersson is way ahead of development curve than any of us thought he would be and the same for Hughes.

We have a young and heavy team, and we have a lot of depth that could carry us the distance.

Playoffs are a war of attrition, and that is where we lost in 2011, in my opinion. We ran out of healthy players, and we weren't punishing Boston enough.

I think we might want to do minor depth add at the deadline, or if Tryamkin is able to sign back, he would give us a really punishing presence on the back end. Not that he plays a real hard hitting game, but when he does hit someone (see Jamie Benn), they feel it.

Considering how far ahead of development expectation that we are, I think its really worth, just giving this group a chance to see how far they can take things, without sacrificing our depth. 

I think that is a good, reasonable plan

I differ somewhat, in that, I think there are teams more talented than us, who have depth and who will be front runners

Now, if you are good, with just making the playoffs...hey, we have as good of a chance as anyone

No Argument there.

But, If Benning knows Tryamkin is coming back, and Roussel plays up to his regular belligerent self, than I think adding Zucker, who is on a quite reasonable contract, should put us near the top.....

I think, "IF" the first 2 things are close as a sure thing, than we may be able to get Pettersson and Hughes to sign for less, just so we can be a contender (Admittly, they have to have that conversation first though).

IMO, I think Zucker is pretty much equal to Miller in cost and skill. How could adding a player with that much impact be bad if you can fit it in?

If we could get Zucker for Virtanen, Eriksson, DiPietro, Hoglander and a 1st would you do it? I would in a flash, as we would still have a lot of young depth, and IMO, we can pick up a number 2 goalie, if and when we need on as a UFA. 

IMO, the following line-up is top 10 if not higher...……..

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Zucker - Horvat - Ferland

Roussel - Sutter - Gaudette

Schaller - Beagle - Bailey (out of the blue)

Motte - Pearson - Leivo - Baertschi

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Benn - Stecher

Fantenberg - Tryamkin

Markstrom - Demko

That is as good of a line-up, as you will see in the NHL. Maybe you alter the players going out a little, but you get the drift.

In my opinion, the Canucks cal are 2 top 6 wingers away from cup contention. 

Since we are currently sitting on Petey and Hughes elc...  the window is open.  I think they should be aggressive in finding at least another top 6 wing for Bo. 

This team is close.  I’d be open to moving Pod, Juolevi plus a contract for another Miller type pick up. 

Zucker would increase team speed.  Another guy that can produce 20 goals and 50 points...

Edited by 70seven
  • Cheers 1