The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Comparing the Best Team to Today

Rate this topic

Ballisticsports.

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

They were old when they left, and easily replaced.  Core to me are players who are not replaceable, because they are not so easy to get.  Right now we have Petey, Bo, Bess, Hughes.  The rest of our guys, although good players, can be replaced.  From that 2011 team the Twins, Kess, and Loui were great and not replaceable.  Edler I think was not really a guy who was replaceable too.  As for Bieksa and Hamhuis, there were a lot of D men in the league at that time we could have replaced those two with.  

Maybe, but as we know it comes at a big cost and Bieksa was pretty darn good - one year he actually led the entire league in 5 x 5 scoring - he managed 40 points with little to no PP time regularly, truculent and a leader as well.   I’d consider him a core piece on that team, Burrows too - he helped the Sedins go over the top (only guy other then one season of Carter - that elavated that line and wasn’t on the PP enough to bump his stats like Kesler was).    Get what your saying about replaceable, that said Sharp and Seabrook were largely considered core guys for CHI during their cup days...so we could re-frame a little and add home grown Burrows and Bieksa to our core from back then pretty easily.   

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

When I said best I am comparing it to the other teams in the league over the season

This was the only time in Canucks history that they were the favorites in a final

That team set a Canuck record of

most wins, most points, most road wins, longest road winning streak

They were the

Northwest Division Champions,

Western Conference Champions 

President Cup Champions

They also boasted

Art Ross Trophy Winner - Daniel Sedin  (Henrik the year before, as well as the Hart Trophy)

William M Jennings Winner - Luongo/Schneider

Frank J Selke Winner - Ryan Kesler

Gm of the Year - Mike Gillis

Ted Lindsay Winner - Daniel Sedin

No Other Canuck Team has achieved that over their peers in a season, so that is why I called them the Best

As a Canuck fan one should rejoice in that team, Everyone was talking about the Canucks, It's when We are all Canucks was born, everyone was driving in the city flying Canuck flags, everyone wore Canuck jerseys, people on corners waving flags, Huge crowds in the streets watching the playoffs, it was a fun time

I hope to see if another Canuck team can achieve that soon as it is the best feeling

• Cheers 1

All good, that’s why we’re here. 

Tough, skilled, and balanced.

Goalie was hot at the right time too. 

They would have demolished the Sedins and made Burrows their bitch, but whatever, nice trophy, 2011. 

I don’t mind if you feel 2011 was the best team, but in a playoff series, with no penalties... lol ... that ‘94 team would have destroyed them exactly the way LA did to basically the same team. 

Reminds me of this old one... 

CE1DB6C5-7A6D-4EE5-81E9-98B61003D3E0.jpeg.1f351737783b74dd7e15be46b9f835a2.jpeg

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

All good, that’s why we’re here. 

Tough, skilled, and balanced.

Goalie was hot at the right time too. 

They would have demolished the Sedins and made Burrows their bitch, but whatever, nice trophy, 2011. 

I don’t mind if you feel 2011 was the best team, but in a playoff series, with no penalties... lol ... that ‘94 team would have destroyed them exactly the way LA did to basically the same team. 

Reminds me of this old one... 

CE1DB6C5-7A6D-4EE5-81E9-98B61003D3E0.jpeg.1f351737783b74dd7e15be46b9f835a2.jpeg

But, I never said what my favorite Canuck team is though

There is no doubt which Canuck team had the best season of all our teams in a single year

I enjoyed 94 Canucks too, but they did not lead the league in any category that year, and I believe were something like 1000/1 odds to win?

• Cheers 1

On 11/7/2019 at 3:17 PM, shiznak said:

While they didn’t accomplish much, I still prefer the 2003 team as the most fun to watch.

Naslund - Morrison - Bertuzzi

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Klatt/Linden

Cooke - Chubarov - Linden/Letowski

Ruutu - Lindgren/Linden - Langdon/Linden

Ohlund - Malik

Jovanovski - Sopel

Salo - Baron

Allen

Top forward line is definitely better but the Sedins were 40 point players at the time. Also, the right D and Goalies were trash with the 2003 team. 

The Sedins and Ehrhoff were a match made in heaven. Ehrhoff never reached the success he had with Sedins after leaving. Also points wise, the Sedins also regressed after Ehrhoff left. It was a lose lose situation.

Our 2011 Defense was really good. That's what took us far in 2011. In 2010 we had a really good offense but lacked the D. The moment Gillis worked on improving the D it was night and day, and we went to the finals. It was the missing piece so to speak. 

The 2003 team had a good offense but it was really top heavy compared to the 2011 team which had a lot of depth scoring. The goaltending and Defence were miles ahead with the 2011 team so I still think they are the superior team when compared to the 2003 team, its not even close. 

I think this is why the 2003 team didn't accomplish much and the 2011 team did. 

2 minutes ago, Unknown1995 said:

Top forward line is definitely better but the Sedins were 40 point players at the time. Also, the right D and Goalies were trash with the 2003 team. 

The Sedins and Ehrhoff were a match made in heaven. Ehrhoff never reached the success he had with Sedins after leaving. Also points wise, the Sedins also regressed after Ehrhoff left. It was a lose lose situation.

Our 2011 Defense was really good. That's what took us far in 2011. In 2010 we had a really good offense but lacked the D. The moment Gillis worked on improving the D it was night and day, and we went to the finals. It was the missing piece so to speak. 

The 2003 team had a good offense but it was really top heavy compared to the 2011 team which had a lot of depth scoring. The goaltending and Defence were miles ahead with the 2011 team so I still think they are the superior team when compared to the 2003 team, its not even close. 

Hence why I said the most fun to watch, not necessarily the best.

Although I do remember a game where they played the Senators at home and it was dubbed “a Stanley Cup” preview. They even  brought the whole damn Hockey Central panel (Kypreos, Millard, Dreger) to GM Place, to do coverage for the game. When was the last time they did that?

That team made every single game, whether it be a 7-2 blowout or a tight 2-1 game, exciting to watch.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Unknown1995 said:

Sopel had a 37 then 42 point seasons.

Baron was a shot blocking/hitting machine and was +13 with only 6 points. 

Malik was solid and +23 that season. 

The right side was far from trash that year wadr. Wasn't great but it wasn't trash either. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 1

On 11/7/2019 at 12:26 PM, ba;;isticsports said:

Not fair to pretend these guys are a Presidents Cup team , as they haven't proven it like our Best Teams ever did, but I see some similarities

I

I prefer this comparison:

Trevor Linden/ Bo Horvat

Pavel Bure/  Elias Pettersson

Geoff Courtnal/ Brock Boeser

Sergio Momesso/ JT Miller

Dave Babych/ Christopher Tanev

Jyrke Lummi/ Alex Edler

Kirk McLean/ Jakob Markstrom

Gino Odjick/ Antoine Rousell

• Upvote 1