The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pavel Bure explains who's faster between him and Connor McDavid

Rate this topic

Who do you think is faster at their top speed?   

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Pavel Bure binds all of us Canuck fans together who were around at the time and old enough to understand what we were witness to. 

Well, that and the misery of being a Canucks fan, especially back then. :blush:

Today’s team has that 1992 kind of feel to it.

I actually liked the 03’ish roster too where they flipped a switch and did the improbable push to hit .750 from about Feb on to make the playoffs, kind of like ST Louis just did. This team has some of that, minus that awesome line of Cooke, Letowski and Chuberov. That was a really fun year or so. 

(I’m going by memory, which is a crowded mess. Don’t quote me on the dates or stats. I’m not going to look it up. Those who were there will know what I’m referring to) 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

That punch to that weasel was beautiful. 

All of Canada cheered.  Domi might have been a pain in the ass for a lot of reasons, but he became a national hero for a day. In my mind he redeemed himself for calling out Probert earlier in his career (and even though he didn’t win the first fight he acted like he did pretending to have the “belt”) probably because he didn’t get knocked out, he definitely didn’t win the fight either - a draw at best  - in the re-match Probert wailed away at him for about twenty seconds until the last shot out him on his butt.   He was a good fighter - but usually took a lot more then he gave - and other enforcers didn’t fear him much at all.    Cold cocking Alf S was one of the highlights of his career...8 games and Brian Burke has a lot to say about it at the time - but I’m sure he never called anyone a “dummy” again. 

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Pavel Bure binds all of us Canuck fans together who were around at the time and old enough to understand what we were witness to. 

I actually liked the 03’ish roster too where they flipped a switch and did the improbable push to hit .750 from about Feb on to make the playoffs, kind of like ST Louis just did. This team has some of that, minus that awesome line of Cooke, Letowski and Chuberov. That was a really fun year or so. 

(I’m going by memory, which is a crowded mess. Don’t quote me on the dates or stats. I’m not going to look it up. Those who were there will know what I’m referring to) 

Hey I get it too.   Has the feel like somethings going to happen - it’s in the air.  Might not be this year or the next but it’s coming.   Vancouver is going to become a hot spot for UFAs again plus MORE core guys and support players that haven’t emerged yet will.  It’s coming.   Maybe it’ when Podz comes and bumps a middle six guy out - or EP just puts the entire franchise on his back and plays like Wayne Gretzky for a period of time.   Or maybe we are actually witnessing it right now and Hughes becomes the next Coffey or Larry Murphy or Neidermayer.   Not very many teenagers have ever scored 50 points their first year - it looks like he could add to that small list (defenseman). 

Win or lose im a happy fan right now.  Whether we are behind a couple goals in the third or one goal ahead - this team is always in it.   WSH was an outlier - the only games we’ve lost so far other then that was McDavid doing his thing, and hot goalies that were named first stars of the game.  I’m proud of this team - and feel like special things are around the corner.   Can’t say I’ve had that feeling much - have said it was like when we traded for Luongo before - and the early 90’s too... for me the best shot we had in the WCE era was the Bertuzzi incindent...then we lost 2/3 of the best line in hockey at the time and knew it was over for good.  Canuck luck.   We are overdue for a reversal, this year would be fine by me.  As far as fan misery goes, Canucks are at the tippy top of the scale.   I should remember that more when posting...almost everyone on this site is a super fan. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

The whole time of about 2 weeks previous was mad with sports reporting on Bure... coming to L.A. , coming to Vancouver, interviews with Quinn and/or Burke it was insane to the point i was sick of hearing about this "wannabe phenom".  I listened to the last two periods on the radio and couldn't believe how they were describing  him! Got home and turned on Sportspage and was amazed like everyone else. More scoring chances in his first game than the team had all the previous month lol.

The next night on BCTV news sports, the long time anchor Bernie Pascall was saying "everyone calm down, despite having the speed he needs to learn how to put the puck in the net" lmao, the next weekend on Coach's Corner  Mclean was saying wow how about Bure and Grapes kinda down played it... Mclean says " yes but he sure can skate" to which Cherry replied " yeah but so can Peggy Fleming" hahaha    Good times :)

Cherry turned around about Bure eventually.  He was very vocal about 3-4 liner Euros coming over - “Don’t give me a guy that can score 13 goals (pounding fists) Those are just taking away jobs from good Canadian boys”!” (Pounds fists again).  He did have a point.  He grew to love Bure - not just because he was an all world talent - but because he made a point of coming over and saying hi when he was at the game.  And Cherry writes about that. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Lol well duh, the game wasn’t televised and I was in Kamloops. 

I watched every game after that, I’m guessing like many of us did, because he was that incredible to watch. Sadly, I never watched a single game of his live. 

EP alone doesn’t make me watch games. 

Only 99, 66 and Bure did that until 87 came along. 

Just testing, a bunch of guys seem to claim they watched Bure's first game live or in TV in this site. Yeah I only caught the highlights of his debut sportspage, but I was also listening to the game in good ol AM 980, Larcheid was going crazy when Bure went on his first end to end rush. Too bad you didn't get to catch any of Pavel's games! He was better live than he was on TV. Ive seen 99 a whole bunch, and 3 games of 66. The few games I saw Mario play live, he didn't really WOW me like I would see on sportsdesk highlights, but then you'd find out he just had 2-3 pts. I was almost never disappointed on the games I saw 99 live as a King, unbelievable

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

You might be right, It was around that  time when Quinn pulled off that deal that got us geoff courtnall, ronning, and momesso. It didn't make us a contender right away but it just pointed the team in the right direction that would eventually lead us to the finals a few years after. The team defintely got more competitve along with McLean becoming one of the best goalies at that time, distancing himself from Troy Gamble

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

The whole time of about 2 weeks previous was mad with sports reporting on Bure... coming to L.A. , coming to Vancouver, interviews with Quinn and/or Burke it was insane to the point i was sick of hearing about this "wannabe phenom".  I listened to the last two periods on the radio and couldn't believe how they were describing  him! Got home and turned on Sportspage and was amazed like everyone else. More scoring chances in his first game than the team had all the previous month lol.

The next night on BCTV news sports, the long time anchor Bernie Pascall was saying "everyone calm down, despite having the speed he needs to learn how to put the puck in the net" lmao, the next weekend on Coach's Corner  Mclean was saying wow how about Bure and Grapes kinda down played it... Mclean says " yes but he sure can skate" to which Cherry replied " yeah but so can Peggy Fleming" hahaha    Good times :)

Sportspage was probably the best sports news show ever. Just the amount of sports personalities they churned out who would become legends  in the media industry here in Vancouver. Still remember seeing a young Don Taylor, Dave Randorf, etc.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Sportspage was probably the best sports news show ever. Just the amount of sports personalities they churned out who would become legends  in the media industry here in Vancouver. Still remember seeing a young Don Taylor, Dave Randorf, etc.

Yes was it ever! And the original... before tsn was on air. This just made me remember the 70's... the newspaper was the only source of sports, would read that section start to finish and all the stats they ever showed.

On 11/9/2019 at 1:47 PM, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Did Bure ever really hit top speed? Usually there was someone hooking him in the beginning of his rushes.

17 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Yes was it ever! And the original... before tsn was on air. This just made me remember the 70's... the newspaper was the only source of sports, would read that section start to finish and all the stats they ever showed.

yup! the good ol days, when you'd fight your family members who'd get the province or the sports section in the sun in the mornings before school! Def loved Don Taylor in sportspage, he was already doing his schtick even back then

"Artem Chubarov, in Chubarovian fashion, roofs the puck top shelf where dad keeps the playboys"

"Here comes Cliff Ronning wearing Gary Lupuls old #7" . Just absolutely entertaining when Donny would mention a current player and tie his number with some obscure player of yesteryear hahahah

7 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

yup! the good ol days, when you'd fight your family members who'd get the province or the sports section in the sun in the mornings before school! Def loved Don Taylor in sportspage, he was already doing his schtick even back then

"Artem Chubarov, in Chubarovian fashion, roofs the puck top shelf where dad keeps the playboys"

"Here comes Cliff Ronning wearing Gary Lupuls old #7" . Just absolutely entertaining when Donny would mention a current player and tie his number with some obscure player of yesteryear hahahah

Gold!! His memory was amazing... and all teams he had a mental file of players, numbers etc!