The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Could Demko replace Markstrom as #1 before season's end?

Rate this topic

Mortalis

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Markstrom has shown some solid numbers, but Demko's are better

So, I think you give Demko more starts....something like 55/45 split for Marky for the remaining part first half

It is one of the only beefs I have with Benning and Green.....they are a little slow on big moves

I am not sure that is a bad thing, but in this case, I think it is important to see what Demko has before the TDL

Not saying we should trade anyone, but if Demko can handle the extra work load, it opens up options going forward

And if you don't do it, how do you know?

To be fair, with the exception of St Louis (and to a far lesser extent Florida) Demko has mostly faced very weak teams.  Detroit , San Jose, and LA are all bottom feeder teams. As the backup it’s expected he’ll face weaker competition than the starter. So it’s not necessarily accurate to say he has better numbers 

39 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

To be fair, with the exception of St Louis (and to a far lesser extent Florida) Demko has mostly faced very weak teams.  Detroit , San Jose, and LA are all bottom feeder teams. As the backup it’s expected he’ll face weaker competition than the starter. So it’s not necessarily accurate to say he has better numbers 

No, Q

The numbers are the numbers

But the analytics may say something different

I agree that GAA and Save % are only 2 of a lot of numbers.....but to day Demko is the best in the whole league in both those categories

Nothing to sneeze at

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

No, Q

The numbers are the numbers

But the analytics may say something different

I agree that GAA and Save % are only 2 of a lot of numbers.....but to day Demko is the best in the whole league in both those categories

Nothing to sneeze at

over the last few starts for both, Demko has looked the more confident, more efficient net minder as well.  I don't know what Marky is dealing with at home but maybe it is affecting his mental focus.  He just looks a little "off" at times. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Gäz said:

I don't see it going that far, but never say never I guess. Marky's been a true #1 all of 2019 and is just having a bit of a rough patch, if it can even be called that. I have faith in him.

With some of the give always that led to goals that not many could stopped, happened and your saying rough patch??  Think Demko could have stopped the 3-0 any better than Markstrom, uhhhh no.. relax dude!!  Lol

22 hours ago, Mortalis said:

If Demko continues to play lights-out goaltending, do you think there is a possibility that he and Markstrom become more of a split tandem? Is there a possibility that he could even take over the #1 spot if Markstrom developes more inconsistency? Could/Would that factor into Markstrom's contract status/amount? I am not trying to downplay Markstrom at all, I just think so far Thatcher has been way more solid than Jacob with the limited playing time he has had. 

This has crossed my mind more than once. However no matter who is in goal the team in fronto of either goalie has to be equal. 

Last nights loss to the Jets wasn't the goalies fault but the team in front of him taking lazy penalties and pinching too much. 

There's not been enough steady play from the team in front of either goalie over the last several games.