The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets | Nov. 08, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

It was easy to get excited over Vancouvers record.  But the fact of the matter is they’ve had a pretty softball schedule so far.  They’ve only played 6 games against teams that hold a playoff spot . In those games they’re 2-3–1.  
Vancouver isn’t a top tier team yet.  But they have some great young talent, they’re fun to watch and they’re definitely improved over last season.  Going into the season most people thought they’d be a bubble team. That’s still likely what they are. Give them time. They have a bright future. 

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Trust me I was yelling at the TV last night too, I was frustrated as well...but after a game like that I don't come on here and start crapping right away...I give myself the night to cool down then return with a level head to talk about the game the next day. I'd rather stay positive then always focus on the negative.

I can't. Checking the highlights of last night's game is the first thing I do when I get up in the morning. I have to carry it around with me when going to work or playing with my son. At least he is as disappointed as I am when I tell him...

1 minute ago, joe-max said:

I can't. Checking the highlights of last night's game is the first thing I do when I get up in the morning. I have to carry it around with me when going to work or playing with my son. At least he is as disappointed as I am when I tell him...

I do hear what you're saying, it can be hard to turn cheek so to speak. I've gotten to the point where I have to stop watching games for a bit cause I get really built up and mad...but eventually I let things go because, it is just a game to me and i'm just a fan. There are way worse things in life that can happen to us. I remind myself of this and I cool down...but it can take a bit, and it takes practice to keep a hot head in check. I'm not perfect and lose my cool, but as I get older i'm able to tame the rage better now haha.

What I see so far is that we're missing that extra gear that other teams have shown against us. Especially the last few games. The opposotion has been able to turn it up or remain faster throughout three periods. Even last night from the start of the game we still looked slightly a step behind. 

Someone in here mentioned that we have the skill but lack more complete speed as a team. I agree. That's why when we're outshooting teams, we need to capitalize more on our opportunities from a skill standpoint. 

11 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Some thoughts on the game...

Teams are playing Petey and Boes tight right now, there is not a lot of room for them to carry the puck into the offensive zone. They both have been trying but guys are on them like glue right at the blue line. It's not like they haven't been trying to gain the zone with control. I see the frustration that they are being told to play a dump and chase game... but I think they are being told to use it as an option instead of letting the puck die on their stick trying to gain entry into the O zone every time... I'd rather them dump the puck in and chase after it to gain possession again if the checking is tight like it was last night.... It's all a learning curve really. Once they learn how to operate in the tight spaces better they will improve, it's not like thats all they have been doing is dumping it into the O zone every time, they are still being creative and trying to gain the zone with control, teams are just onto them now and it's harder for them to execute now. It's up to them to push past the adversity.

Same with Quinn, he's being tightly contested as well. But I do think all these guys are very capable of learning and improving beyond what they are currently right now.

This is still a very young team, with lots more to learn. Injuries have started to creep into the line up, teams are playing them hard, and for the first time this season they are really facing some adversity. Give them a few games to figure things out and hopefully we will see them start to trend in the right direction again.

Why must we always take a big crap on the team once things get tough...where is our resilience as fans? We start pointing fingers right away, fire Green, fire Brown, get rid of LE, etc...I understand it is very frustrating watching the team lose a few games in a row, but we all should keep positive and root for our boys to get better and improve. Trust me I was yelling at the TV last night too, I was frustrated as well...but after a game like that I don't come on here and start crapping right away...I give myself the night to cool down then return with a level head to talk about the game the next day. I'd rather stay positive then always focus on the negative.

Patience is key to developing young minds. 

Not worried.

Pettersson had a slow start this season too and over a few games he adjusted his game to how he was being defended.  I imagine his whole career is going to be a series of adjustments in his game.  Unless he gets the idea to be proactive 

13 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

@WHL rocksCommented to me on the closed thread that Winnipeg was a trap team.   I've noticed that the Canucks don't do well against trap teams.

• Sept 26 Arizona 4-2 loss (preseason)
  • Oct 19 New Jersey 1-0 loss
  • Nov 8 Winnipeg 4-1 loss

others?

Anaheim clogs up the neutral zone pretty well. Some sort of semi-trap thing theyve got going.

Gotta get pucks deep and forecheck hard to beat the trap.

This is why we're missing Motte, and why JB went after Miller and Ferky, also brought in Beags and Rousel. All of them are fast guys who forecheck hard and are legitimately harder to play against than "skill" guys. Leivo and Pearson too, to a slightly lesser extent IMO.

Helps explain why Baer and Goldy didn't fit the team identity and got sent down.

For the last bunch of years the team really struggled to get any offense going against "trap teams" because we didn't have a lineup that could muscle the puck out down low.

We're still struggling a bit there, but nothing like the last few years where we'd go all game without a decent opportunity on net.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Pettersson had a slow start this season too and over a few games he adjusted his game to how he was being defended.  I imagine his whole career is going to be a series of adjustments in his game.  Unless he gets the idea to be proactive 

You are right, it will always be a back and fourth thing. I'm not a professional hockey player so I don't know how you can try and get ahead of the curve, maybe you can? But I think most players have to adjust on the fly as teams start shutting you down you then learn how you need to adjust, I don't know how a player could forecast how teams will try and shut him down in the future? Instead I think you're natural progression approach is more correct, the elite players are the ones that can constantly adjust and get better. Some can do it quicker than others, heck even in game they can change tactics...but those are special players. I hope Petey can be one of them, but right now he takes a bit to learn and adjust...but with age his adjustment timing should get better and better...imo.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

What I see so far is that we're missing that extra gear that other teams have shown against us. Especially the last few games. The opposotion has been able to turn it up or remain faster throughout three periods. Even last night from the start of the game we still looked slightly a step behind. 

Someone in here mentioned that we have the skill but lack more complete speed as a team. I agree. That's why when we're outshooting teams, we need to capitalize more on our opportunities from a skill standpoint. 

All teams have bad games. Lol how can you say we lack that extra gear when we are TIED FOR THE LEAGUE LEAD IN 5 GOAL PERIODS.....

23 minutes ago, Cali Canuck said:

It was basically a 6 game roadie - 3 games in Cali, a 1 game "homestand" and 2 more road games plus it was the 3rd game in 4 days

October's  btb in NJ and ny was in the middle of a 4 game trip 3 in 4 and 5 in 7.

Look. My point is every team plays around 12 btbs per year. It's part of life and way overblown by fans as a reason for losing. St Louis just beat edm and van on a btb.

Watch oilers gm interview on how pampered nhl players are on the road lol.

Most fans realize btbs are common and not a big excuse for poor play. If your team plays poorly on btbs it's about poor preparation for such a known commodity.

What the heck were we watching last night? 

Last nights game had an eerie feeling of last season when I saw either one of these two guys on the ice. 

Double soft ice cream. Is the salary keeping the team from moving on from these two duds? 

Yes I'm including Bartschi. He was soft much like last year getting pushed off the puck, unable to physically drive past opposing players. This guy did nothing after a

demotion to the minors and getting called up. It was pathetic and i was pissed this guy was an option. Too small and not very quick. 

Neither player added to the new so called drive the Canuck possess this season. No bite, zip.

Has Travis Green fallen into the WD trap of playing what he knows rather than developing a younger player into what he wants? 

Was this a showcase call up? If it was I'd be amazed that any team would want this guy on their team. 

Then Loui. What's left to be stated about this player? How many games has been dressed now in a row. Not one noticeable play, not even a hit. Zippola.

Where was he sitting in the third period? The bench?  There's nothing the Canucks can showcase here. Maybe suitcase him to the minors but he'd do nothing there either but take up space from a young prospect. 

Jim Benning and Travis Green need to cut bait with both these players especially Loui.

Last night it looked like we didn't have full cohesive lines. When these two players were inserted into the line it looked like last year's team. Patchwork special.

Nothing was going to happen with these guys on the ice. 

I'm sure there will be fans rooting for Bartschi to flourish but it's not going to happen. Not a chance past a showcase call up. 

There were lots of things wrong with Vancouver's game last night. One major problem was poor discipline with penalties. Lazy stuff. 

Lazy can be addressed but two players falling short of their so called ability isn't gonna help. They can try as hard as they want but it falls short. 

I don't want to see either act any more.

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 1