The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets | Nov. 08, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

Pearson is the one forward who has brought very little. I get a little frustrated with Leivo now and again, but I like his compete level. If the Canucks firward group ever becomes fully healthy, Pearson, Eriksson are the 2 obvious candidates to sit. Roussel and Motte bring more of what the team needs on a consistent basis. 

Exactly.

We’re reaching into our depth right now which is still WAY better than years past.

When guys are healthy it will look much better.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Roussell Horvat Virtanen 

Ferland Sutter Leivo/Gaudette

Pearson Beagle Motte

Edited by DeNiro

I think they owe Baer more than one game.  Give him 2 more and then decide on his fate.  The options are not good, so it won't hurt the team anyways.  People who worry about Baer's concussions should be more concerned for Ferland.

I don't get the angle on Leivo; he's great along the boards/corners and works really hard.  Kind of like Motte without the edge.  Just don't stick him in the top 6.

I like his game a lot more that Pearson's, who also does not belong in the top 6.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Exactly.

We’re reaching into our depth right now which is still WAY better than years past.

When guys are healthy it will look much better.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Roussell Horvat Virtanen 

Ferland Sutter Leivo/Gaudette

Pearson Beagle Motte

Of course that precludes being a 'healthy team' which, being a west coast team, we rarely are. Pearson should not supplant Schaller, though. Schaller kills penalties pretty well, a great built-in value he has. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

Of course that precludes being a 'healthy team' which, being a west coast team, we rarely are. Pearson should not supplant Schaller, though. Schaller kills penalties pretty well, a great built-in value he has. 

With Roussel coming back he can replace his duties though. He’s a much better pker along with Motte.

Either way it shows we have much more depth with quite a few different options.

30 minutes ago, Grape said:

So tell me, who played more than fine last night?

Nobody did. So Why are you acting as if Baertschi was the main problem last night. It’s pretty clear that you don’t like Baertschi to begin with and you’re attempting to use his performance last night to add to your opinion.

No one who is unbiased about Baertschi watches last night’s game, and comes out with the conclusion that he was a main problem.

there were a few that were giving it their all last night, Bo's line not so much. I would give Baer a couple of more games and see if he picks it up

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

With Roussel coming back he can replace his duties though. He’s a much better pker along with Motte.

Either way it shows we have much more depth with quite a few different options.

Good point. It's actually a good time right now to determine who has value to the team as a player long-term, and who is just a stop-gapper. Pearson, to me, is the ultimate stop-gapper. He's doing nothing to disprove that assertion. Schaller could be a value long-term. 

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

After watching Loui Eriksson trip in the corner and then trip over the center ice line in the same game against Chicago I gave up on him, then to hear he had such a great game last night in favor of Gaudette :towel: how the coach felt Loui Eriksson had more physical presence over Gaudette amazes me.

I think Green has to play Eriksson to help Eriksson and management realize his lack of game is “current” and worthy of addressing a move for the betterment of the Team.

The injury to Motte is allowing Eriksson a chance to “prove” himself,  but it’s not happening.

If you don’t play him,  no true assessment can be made.

The injury to Motte has unbalanced the symmetry on this Team.. Motte Beagle and Schaller brought a tenacious game that was exiciting as all the other 3 lines.

The other only other players that could replace a player like Motte is Rousell.

Guadette and MacEwan should be the players floating back and forth from Utica to gain valuable experience at this time.

Eriksson is not only not worthy of a place with the Canucks,  he is hampering the system that JB created..  I think we see this situation addressed by Christmas.

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, Krzysl said:

I think you underestimate markstrum. Why would he resign with no expansion protection? Why would he not want to capitalize on a solid couple of seasons. He wants to get paid! He is finally reaching the potential he has. I really like markstrum. I think  it’s either markstrum or Demko. Can’t have another Lou and Schneider. Schneider development got F@&$ed up by Canucks. He peaked way to late.

we have zero cap right now! If we resign the three mentioned when EP and Hughes need money we will be scratching. Then Boeser will be up next and will want more (hopefully deserves  and wants a lot more) then Horvat will be up next and want more. Demko is in the mix aswell. 

Unlike a lot of players, Burrows for examplke, we actually paid Markstrom very well as he developed. 

We gave him a $1.5mill one way contract when he was still in minors. We gave him his current $3.7 mill contract when he was a backup.

He rewarded us by developing as a starter. But we have already paid him over $10 mill. And he's only in his 2knd year as starter. That's normally when you get your first $3.7 mill... His 5th season with us, when he became starter.

I would think loyalty both ways will be a factor in his next contract. I think both him & Demko will be here. I would bet he gets a 4 year deal. $5.5 ish or $6 mill? No protection clause.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I think they owe Baer more than one game.  Give him 2 more and then decide on his fate.  The options are not good, so it won't hurt the team anyways.  People who worry about Baer's concussions should be more concerned for Ferland.

I don't get the angle on Leivo; he's great along the boards/corners and works really hard.  Kind of like Motte without the edge.  Just don't stick him in the top 6.

I like his game a lot more that Pearson's, who also does not belong in the top 6.

Very true, Leivo is very strong against the boards. Wins a lot of battles. What you need out of your bottom half of the roster is what he brings. He's not going anywhere. Wish he had better hands tho. But I like what he brings to the team.

8 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Unlike a lot of players, Burrows for examplke, we actually paid Markstrom very well as he developed. 

We gave him a $1.5mill one way contract when he was still in minors. We gave him his current $3.7 mill contract when he was a backup.

He rewarded us by developing as a starter. But we have already paid him over $10 mill. And he's only in his 2knd year as starter. That's normally when you get your first $3.7 mill... His 5th season with us, when he became starter.

I would think loyalty both ways will be a factor in his next contract. I think both him & Demko will be here. I would bet he gets a 4 year deal. $5.5 ish or $6 mill? No protection clause.

And we waste Demko peak years like we did Schneider. No thank you! 

• Wat 1

36 minutes ago, BrockBoester said:

Yeah you're right guys, waffles are definitely better than pancakes.

They just hold toppings so much better

Waffles are very versatile...chicken and pancakes...frickin gross, nope don't work...the fact you can get away with putting chicken on a waffle is amazing to me. :towel:

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

there were a few that were giving it their all last night, Bo's line not so much. I would give Baer a couple of more games and see if he picks it up

Advanced stats per Natural Stat Trick say they were the most efficient line with an expected goal for percentage of over 90% with all three of Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen on the ice.  

SportlogIQ's video tracking software shows that Hellebuyck saved the Jets close to 2.5 goals above average.   Their goalie had a great game.  

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1