The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets | Nov. 08, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Loui gets a lot if $&!# on here. 

I agree that he isn't fit a 4th line. 

A shut down 4th line needs that all three player have the same grit and Loui is smart but not gritty(or whatever word best describes Schaller, Beagle...). He is better with more creative players, similar to Goldy. Do you remember what Goldy said about our 4th line players? Goldy made a very degrading remark of our 4th line skills... 

3rd line players is definately Sutter(he might be in top 6 also) and Gaudette. Leivo is more of a 4th line so instead of Loui it should be Leivo covering for Motte. 

One of the bright spots at the end of last season was Loui with Pearson and Horvat. I would rather play Loui in top 6 and see how it goes. Now is the right time also when the high speed is killing us. With this dump and chase we also waste a lot of energy for nothing so the players get fatigue quicker. 

We need smart players in top 6 to let players like Pearson reach their potential. Baertschi is one, Loui another and Goldy might be the third option. But Green need to make his strategies more dynamic. If he changes the speed during games the oppo have a harder time to adjust. 

I've seen the benefits of the dump and chase with a lot if shooting. With a bit of luck it get's a lot of goals. The downside is that we shoot a lot of ineffectiv, easy for the goalie to save and we often let in easy goals for the oppo because we tend to invest heavily in digging the puck out of the corners. 

Loui in a top 6 role won't happen again, Green isn't going to  go there. Look, I've been one of Loui's longest supporters on there, trying to be the glass half full guy, but Loui's decline is a real thing that line shuffling isn't going to fix. Age gets us all eventually, there's no fix here. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Well, why play Loui as a 4th liner? 

This one is on Green. Loui has to play in a scoring line so if Green want Loui playing he has to put Loui with, par example Horvat or a 3rd scoring line. 

because there's no other job he can beat someone for. As I said in the other thread. there's no cure for age. I feel for him but even I've seen too little out of him, and I really think he's trying his best. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, aqua59 said:

What the heck were we watching last night? 

Last nights game had an eerie feeling of last season when I saw either one of these two guys on the ice. 

Double soft ice cream. Is the salary keeping the team from moving on from these two duds? 

Yes I'm including Bartschi. He was soft much like last year getting pushed off the puck, unable to physically drive past opposing players. This guy did nothing after a

demotion to the minors and getting called up. It was pathetic and i was pissed this guy was an option. Too small and not very quick. 

Neither player added to the new so called drive the Canuck possess this season. No bite, zip.

Has Travis Green fallen into the WD trap of playing what he knows rather than developing a younger player into what he wants? 

Was this a showcase call up? If it was I'd be amazed that any team would want this guy on their team. 

Then Loui. What's left to be stated about this player? How many games has been dressed now in a row. Not one noticeable play, not even a hit. Zippola.

Where was he sitting in the third period? The bench?  There's nothing the Canucks can showcase here. Maybe suitcase him to the minors but he'd do nothing there either but take up space from a young prospect. 

Jim Benning and Travis Green need to cut bait with both these players especially Loui.

Last night it looked like we didn't have full cohesive lines. When these two players were inserted into the line it looked like last year's team. Patchwork special.

Nothing was going to happen with these guys on the ice. 

I'm sure there will be fans rooting for Bartschi to flourish but it's not going to happen. Not a chance past a showcase call up. 

There were lots of things wrong with Vancouver's game last night. One major problem was poor discipline with penalties. Lazy stuff. 

Lazy can be addressed but two players falling short of their so called ability isn't gonna help. They can try as hard as they want but it falls short. 

I don't want to see either act any more.

Please don’t make a new thread if you are going to review what occurred in a game. That’s what the PGT is for. 

I would normally just lock this, but since there is 3 pages of discussion I will merge it with the PGT instead. 

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

because there's no other job he can beat someone for. As I said in the other thread. there's no cure for age. I feel for him but even I've seen too little out of him, and I really think he's trying his best. 

If Green adapt different strategies Loui fits some of them. Loui definately doesn't fit a gritty 4th line. So using the 4th line as evidence of a decloning Loui is very strange. Loui isn't that kind of player. 

Leivo on the other hand, fits a 4th line better so switch places with them. 

So many chances Leivo, Sutter etc misses... If it was Loui a lot of posters here would say he's finished. As they did when Loui missed a chance last season. 

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Loui in a top 6 role won't happen again, Green isn't going to  go there. Look, I've been one of Loui's longest supporters on there, trying to be the glass half full guy, but Loui's decline is a real thing that line shuffling isn't going to fix. Age gets us all eventually, there's no fix here. 

It's tougher to decline with less skilled players with grit as their best skill. 

Loui has never been that kind of players so why dress him up in that role?

If it's Green showing Aquilini Loui is no good it's the right way to go. But not the right way to go if Green want to win as much as possible. 

Well i feared a loss and got it :P Jets and knights both play with a high pressure and created great difficulties for nucks to get through the midzone. Sloppy passes from D to forwards just made it hard to get the space needed. At the same time we did create chances, but didnt bury them and then jets got some puckluck at the right moments and got the win. Our first line is looking mighty fine. Its gotta be one of the top 5 lines in the league. Yes...they are that good!

Devils game next, for some reason nucks always have a hard time against them.....hoping for a win this time though.

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

It's tougher to decline with less skilled players with grit as their best skill. 

If it's Green showing Aquilini Loui is no good it's the right way to go. But not the right way to go if Green want to win as much as possible. 

There's just no where else for him now 'fan. Its age, some guys can play into their later 30s but its not going to be Loui unfortunately. 

• Upvote 1

LMAO... reading through the first 5 pages had me constantly face-palming... its pretty pathetic to be honest.. our fanbase is very passionate, but very bipolar.. 

Know your role, as a fan.. you can't change anything so why get so worked up..? Might as well just sit back and enjoy the ride.. 

(almost) Nobody thought we were going to be serious cup contenders this year.. so why are we trashing our players and management like we came into this year expecting to win 50+ games? 

We are witnessing the growth of a mostly young team with a very high potential ceiling.. they are learning every night and will be getting better every year from this point forward.. so again, why do people over-react and freak out and let it affect their own life and mood is beyond me.. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Laughable at best have fun with that. Markstrom was considered the best goalie outside of the NHL at Demko’s age...

Not sure where you looking bro. 12/13 and 13/14 markstrom was under .900 Florida gave up on him. First season with us he failed to make the team and cleared waivers. He is 29 right now by my calculations he was 23 when when he was passed on by Florida and 24 when he failed to make our team. He then struggled as a back up for us until last season mid December when he finally started to play to the potential people hoped he could.

demko rookie season he is 23 and he already showing better numbers and would def not clear waiver if it was a possibility. 

Laughable ... lol

• Wat 1

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Unfortunately he stunk it up after for the next 6 seasons. That was written when he was AHL still 22 years old . He failed to live up to the potential till last season. Demko 23 looks like he can handle his potential. Looks far better then markstrom when he first got here. 

I am a a big fan of markstrom right now. It is a choice Canucks have to make between the two. I choose demko and trade for value on markstrom 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Loui gets a lot if $&!# on here. 

I agree that he isn't fit a 4th line. 

A shut down 4th line needs that all three player have the same grit and Loui is smart but not gritty(or whatever word best describes Schaller, Beagle...). He is better with more creative players, similar to Goldy. Do you remember what Goldy said about our 4th line players? Goldy made a very degrading remark of our 4th line skills... 

3rd line players is definately Sutter(he might be in top 6 also) and Gaudette. Leivo is more of a 4th line so instead of Loui it should be Leivo covering for Motte. 

One of the bright spots at the end of last season was Loui with Pearson and Horvat. I would rather play Loui in top 6 and see how it goes. Now is the right time also when the high speed is killing us. With this dump and chase we also waste a lot of energy for nothing so the players get fatigue quicker. 

We need smart players in top 6 to let players like Pearson reach their potential. Baertschi is one, Loui another and Goldy might be the third option. But Green need to make his strategies more dynamic. If he changes the speed during games the oppo have a harder time to adjust. 

I've seen the benefits of the dump and chase with a lot if shooting. With a bit of luck it get's a lot of goals. The downside is that we shoot a lot of ineffectiv, easy for the goalie to save and we often let in easy goals for the oppo because we tend to invest heavily in digging the puck out of the corners. 

As multi dimensional as hockey is..   you continue with an “etch sketch” mentality thinking Eriksson is some kind of super star that could help us on either of the first 2 lines..    You could put Eriksson with Ovie, Crosby or McDavid and all you would see Eriksson doing would be looking up at the clock to see if has been on the ice for 30 seconds so he can find his way to the bench.

He can not compete..    for your sake I hope he is traded and gets the opportunities you wish for.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, mll said:

Advanced stats per Natural Stat Trick say they were the most efficient line with an expected goal for percentage of over 90% with all three of Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen on the ice.  

SportlogIQ's video tracking software shows that Hellebuyck saved the Jets close to 2.5 goals above average.   Their goalie had a great game.  

sorry I just base it on what I see on the ice,  not some fancy stats. 

• -SN- unpinned and unfeatured this topic
2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Your decline isn’t dependant on who you play with. This isn’t NHL 20. He had lots of chances in the top 6, including stints with the Sedins. He isn’t good enough for the top 6 and the bottom 6 is filled with gritty two way guys. If Green wants to win he should stop playing Loui all together. 

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

sorry I just base it on what I see on the ice,  not some fancy stats. 

McPhee dissed advanced stats when he took over in Vegas.  Now he says he trusts advanced stats more than the eye test.  Barry Trotz talked of how he has used advanced stats to change the way he coaches and finally win a Cup.  They use far more accurate tracking than what is available to the public though.

The NHL plans to introduce player tracking.  It's unclear how they will compile the information to make it understandable to the public at large.  Teams who will know how to exploit the information are likely going to gain quite the edge over their opponents.  

5 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Wouldn't really say that Hellebuyck was lights out score and officiating flattered the Jets. 

Missing the net with a lot of the shots And horrendous d zone play cost us. The totally ineffective pp doesn’t help. 

Demko was very good score would have been worse if he wasn’t. 

The mason Raymond turn back every rush is getting as predictable as the drop pass. 

Hellabuck didn't have to be lights out he wasn’t tested with high percentage or tough saves very much. 

The Sh it travel and schedule. If that was TO the media would be whining and crying a river. 

9 minutes ago, combover said:

Missing the net with a lot of the shots And horrendous d zone play cost us. The totally ineffective pp doesn’t help. 

Demko was very good score would have been worse if he wasn’t. 

The mason Raymond turn back every rush is getting as predictable as the drop pass. 

Hellabuck didn't have to be lights out he wasn’t tested with high percentage or tough saves very much. 

The Sh it travel and schedule. If that was TO the media would be whining and crying a river. 

SportlogIQ's video tracking software says the contrary.   Hellebuyck saved them 2.48 goals above average.  

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, SilentSam said:

As multi dimensional as hockey is..   you continue with an “etch sketch” mentality thinking Eriksson is some kind of super star that could help us on either of the first 2 lines..    You could put Eriksson with Ovie, Crosby or McDavid and all you would see Eriksson doing would be looking up at the clock to see if has been on the ice for 30 seconds so he can find his way to the bench.

He can not compete..    for your sake I hope he is traded and gets the opportunities you wish for.

Goodness me, when did I ever talk about Loui as a superstar?

The fact is that one of Pearsons best moments with us was with Loui. 

I'm a bit curious how you can compare Pearson with Ovie, Crosby and McDavid... 

If Green wants anything from  Loui Green has to be intelligent. That's it... 

8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Leivo isn't impressing so shift those two as a start. 

4 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Your decline isn’t dependant on who you play with. This isn’t NHL 20. He had lots of chances in the top 6, including stints with the Sedins. He isn’t good enough for the top 6 and the bottom 6 is filled with gritty two way guys. If Green wants to win he should stop playing Loui all together. 

And as I said, Pearson and Horvat had  a good time together with Loui. 

Do you think Pearson have a good time now? He struggles and can't find the net with people here slagging him talking about 4th line duty.