The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tolko Industries' mill in Kelowna, B.C., to close permanently Jan. 8

Ryan Strome

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Other private schools have academic entrance exams and don't accept any special needs kids...

Why should my tax dollars go to these schools which are elitist and don't allow kids to meet  / work with  all the various kinds of people we have in our society.

There i no way one dollar of BC taxpayer money should go towards a private school.   

You want to send your kid to a private school , then pay for it yourself. 

There shouldn’t be a penny from our taxes going to private schools.  If the gov is allowing this then let us have private health care.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

There shouldn’t be a penny from our taxes going to private schools.  If the gov is allowing this then let us have private health care.  

I have always agreed with not giving money to private schools. There are other abuses. A BC school district years ago allowed private school students to ride the school buses. Over time there were greater numbers of them and the parents, who had been extended bussing as a courtesy, began to be demanding about routes and stops. They weren't paying a nickel for transportation, yet felt just fine demanding that the bus system make accommodations for their kids. Meanwhile, the Ministry of Education pays only for public school students. The math doesn't add up.

47 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I have always agreed with not giving money to private schools. There are other abuses. A BC school district years ago allowed private school students to ride the school buses. Over time there were greater numbers of them and the parents, who had been extended bussing as a courtesy, began to be demanding about routes and stops. They weren't paying a nickel for transportation, yet felt just fine demanding that the bus system make accommodations for their kids. Meanwhile, the Ministry of Education pays only for public school students. The math doesn't add up.

Private schools that our BC politicians send their kids to ?  

Edited by kingofsurrey

3 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

It isn't only politicians. I know public school teachers and a speech/language pathologist who send their kids to private schools. Really.

Wow, thats terrible that people that work  in the public education  system are the same ones working against it......

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, #Canucks said:

Foreign money is not ruling our province? We spend our money on products made outside of our country and they spend the money back in our province. Why would rather no money come back? It’s a cycle and I’m glad the world brings money here. Also to say it is ruining real estate is incorrect. Based on a Average wage with dual income anyone can afford $500,000 mortgage. You just have to be smart and not blow your money. Tbh $500,000 is easy to obtain. But people want to make excuses and blame others. Anyone can thrive they just have to want to.

Absolutely this!

All is see is fu*^ing whiners on the boards blaming everyone else for their problems... Whether it’s some global cabal or lefty banning me on twitter or some rich guy/gal that won’t give me all their money or the political party that won but was not mine... Pathetic really...

Edited by Ronaldoescobar
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Absolutely this!

All is see is fu*^ing whiners on the boards blaming everyone else for their problems... Whether it’s some global cabal or lefty banning me on twitter or some rich guy/gal that won’t give me all their money or the political party that won but was not mine... Pathetic really...

you seem to really be discerning of the current issues facing the world, thank you for posting

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

It isn't only politicians. I know public school teachers and a speech/language pathologist who send their kids to private schools. Really.

Haha damn!  My dad was a teacher and he said he would never have sent me to private school (I wanted to transfer just to play basketball lol).  He had a hatred of how the privates abused things and really didn't like or feel the teachers were any better.

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Russ said:

Haha damn!  My dad was a teacher and he said he would never have sent me to private school (I wanted to transfer just to play basketball lol).  He had a hatred of how the privates abused things and really didn't like or feel the teachers were any better.

Your dad sounds like he is / was a very smart  man .........

Private schools don't have little things like catchment areas to worry about for their teams players .... 

Edited by kingofsurrey

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Your dad sounds like he is / was a very smart  man .........

Private schools don't have little things like catchment areas to worry about for their teams players .... 

Yea my highschool sucked at basketball, I wanted to have a chance at playing for a AAA highschool but that never happened haha.  Other than sports I would never go to a private school, will never send my son there either.  Nothing wrong with public schools

9 minutes ago, Russ said:

Yea my highschool sucked at basketball, I wanted to have a chance at playing for a AAA highschool but that never happened haha.  Other than sports I would never go to a private school, will never send my son there either.  Nothing wrong with public schools

Good for you.  Yes, BC public schools have been very strong in the past in terms of quality.   

BC highschool sports for  99.9 percent of the athletes are really just recreational. Play with your buds and have fun leagues.

NCAA spots are pretty tough to obtain on teams for CDN's and . CIS is  good quality sport but the scholarships are pretty sad for the amount of time the athletes put into their CIS teams.....

Really hope that the last 15 years of BC Liberal govs and the current NDP gov haven't done long term irreparable damage to our bc public education system though...

It was a gem in the past. 

Edited by kingofsurrey