The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

T he guy was just being himself..if hockey fans or immigrants get offended thats too bad i say..there is no place for racism but you need to be able to handle certain situations..over blown cherry is goody that would fight for every one of  us canadians..he is old school and what he meant was just to get every canadian all fired up...cherry knows what he said and its the truth..

• Wat 2

44 minutes ago, Tystick said:

"Boomer" -- so overused and boring. For the record, I'm a millennial.

Immigrants are not Canadian until the apply for citizenship.

Neither immigrants or citizens, in their entirety, buy poppies or don't buy poppies.

What more do I want? Actual actions he's taken, like I requested the first time.

Prove he's racist.

well he has for years  had a certain dis taste for  Russians , swedes , those euros guys  and french Canadian players in the past  , he has also been out spoken over euros taking away spots from Canadian home grown talent in junior hockey . how many times have you heard cherry rant about the state of  junior hockey and then say it because we are teaching them in Canada , teaching our game to them  

13 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

What I do respect is the many posters that I battle with regarding general Canucks talk can agree on issues like we are addressing in this thread ...  @canuck73_3 I am talking to you :) 

That's a good point. 99% of us still do the right thing.

What a beautiful country that we can openly bitch and agree or disagree about Don Cherry. 

Some countries don't have clean water....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

At best it was an incredibly ignorant comment. As others have posted, he directly targeted immigrants with these comments and they weren't acceptable in the slightest. "You people love our milk and our honey"... Honest to God. It's indefensible.

He's been teetering over the xenophobic line for too long now. This was the final straw.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What’s that?  You mean girls should be in the men’s changeroom?  I think women are mostly capable of being professional in the men’s rooms but shouldn’t the guys’ feelings be considered too?  No reporters should have access to the players until after the guts have showered, changed, and are comfortable.  

a gender neutral bathroom exists   , it means  anyone can use it  with no questions asked   ,any one under the rainbow ,   

• Thanks 1

I agree with Cherry's sentiment but singling out a group like he did is wrong.

Its too bad his run ends like this, but I guess you gotta deal with the consequences of your actions/decisions. It was ignorant & divisive at a time when we badly need less of those things.

He's an old man & he made a mistake in an age where you gotta watch what you say carefully. Glad someone posted that Bill Burr bit b/c that's exactly what came to mind when this blew up. 

I appreciate what he's done for the spot, & I don't think he should be vilified forever. That said its a fine time for him to go. I used to enjoy CC but I haven't watched much the last number of years as he's really starting losing it. Hopefully we can move past this. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

Just now, the grinder said:

a gender neutral bathroom exists   , it means  anyone can use it  with no questions asked   ,any one under the rainbow ,   

I’m no expert, but don’t most women like having their own bathroom?  Guys are kind of pigs, right?  There is equality and then stupidity.  Women should have their own washrooms.  Men and women are different, and there’s nothing wrong with that.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, ruututuutu said:

What is an immigrant?  Someone who immigrated to Canada?  I know he &^@#ed up but there is never any race indicated in Cherry's remarks.  He asks immigrants to honour those who fought and died. He does not say don't honour non whites.  Overall I am disappointed this chapter has ended in Canadian Hockey and that it ended like this.  

If he was being racist I am sad, if he wasn't I am sad.  It's a bad day.

Other than he singled out immigrants without a factual basis

Not too many people are sad to see Don go imo 

has been off the mark and irrelevant for years 

onwards and upwards 

• Cheers 1