The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

52 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Many slacked jawed posters on here who do not measure up. Progressives have been out to get Cherry for years and have finally succeeded. Yup, Don was calling out only the immigrants of colour don't you know. The idea that immigrants, oh and other Canadians, since he called them out as well, might be better informed of the sacrifice that our forebearers made for this country is out of line. I think it was Alf who called it SJW BS and he was so right. 

Don Cherry is a Canadian patriot and calls out people in his own frank way. He was more often right than wrong. He was upset, as all Canadians should be upset by the fact that remembering the fallen is fading. Not gracefully by the posts of many on here. Shame on those who take glee.

What a sleeze Ron MacLean truly is. He could spend some of his self important credibility and possibly try and explain where Don Cherry was coming from. Instead he threw him under the bus and likely didn't look back. Anyone who has spent time with vets will likely have heard of some of what Cherry was saying. MacLean and his beer sponsors might have made an effort to inform or given Cherry the opportunity  to explain. I never liked MacLean when he tried to drive Alex Burrows from hockey. He was exposed then and now he has done the same thing to Don Cherry. A sad day for hockey, and November 11th. Canada has dropped another notch. I don't watch CBC and now add SNet.        

What a perfect day to fire this ass, patriot he's not, he's done alot of good things for people in our country but he really doesn't understand the definition of Canada as a multi cultural country. I wish his career ended in a better fashion about 10 or 15 years ago and blame Rogers for taking him on when they took over hockey in our country. I looked up his military service and not surprised he has none, kinda reminds me of another loud mouth south of the border who chants about how he loves the military and its members but some how dodged serving his country in a time of need. There are things I will always love about Don Cherry and he is a proud Canadian but its never to late to correct a mistake and I'm glad Rogers jumped on this chance to make a change. As for Maclean hes a piece of Sh4t and should be fired along with Cherry.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

The great thing about Canada is the fact that we can say almost whatever we want. Freedom of speech. Not unless it of course incites violence.

Might not agree with what people have to say or you might find it offensive but you have to respect the fact that they can say it.

Besides Bill C-16 we have pretty good Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Expression laws.

Yup gotta love the freedom for Rogers to send his ass down the road, just too bad they didn't send Maclean with him

• Upvote 2

I think the worst thing about the whole thing is how Canadians are becoming the polarized political idiots that the Americans have been for the last decade. I've always belieced Canadians to be better than that.

Don Cherry has been like this for literal decades and most have let him have a free pass because 'he's entertaining' while denying the fact that they themselves have racist and bigot leanings that thy would never admit for fear of social backlash.

I can say with quite a bit of certainty is that A LOT of people don't wear poppies. For some its because (lets face it) those poppies don't stay well on someone when their day involves a great day of physical movement and I think the Legion introducing wristbands with the poppies this year is a great step in the right direction. I have been wearing mine as it is much easier to keep on and show my support for troops than a poppy that falls off if you look at it wrong.

Personally, I make sure every vehicle I own has a poppy placed on the driver side sun visor of every car I own so I can see it daily and remember the sacrifices that my friends and family members have made in order to serve their country. We need to honour these people everyday, not just for a single day every November.

Edited by BowtieCanuck
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Unknown1995 said:

There is a difference though which some people are choosing to ignore. 

Trudeau apologized every time he is asked about it.  Cherry at this point hasn't apologized. Huge difference.  

Both of them weren't intending to be racist but one them apologized one of them didn't. 

I don't think either one of them are racist they just made some mistakes and you can tell there age difference in the way each of them have dealt with it, you'll probably see Grapes interviewed on fox this week, they'll offer him millions

• Like 1

Just now, Alflives said:

We immigrants took over Canada from day one, didn’t we?  

One of the earliest Canadian programs introduced after Confederation was to entice Eastern European immigrants to Canada by offering farmland to them. 'Canadians' tend to forget that without immigrants, Canada would be a much different place. Smaller personal wealth, next to non-existent birthrate and MANY things we hold as Canadian even existing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, zimmy said:

My point is that this has only a little to do with this latest episode but with a long history of somewhat offensive/heart on his sleeve/poorly articulated observations/rants and our collective roles in the creation of the Don Cherry brand. I can appreciate your defence of the man but am more intrigued by the clamor to bury him alive when, if you were paying any attention at all, this was only ever going to end this way. 

But no, Alf, I don't see you as either a radical or a monger.

Your right Alf has had alittle too much to drink today........I'm going with that

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

The times are a changin' hoss.

The immigrants are going to take over and the minorities will become the majority in 20 years or less.

Were all immigrants and we are all Canadians, or soon will be

• Upvote 1

Good.  I actually like Grapes but this is long overdue.  His comments were out of line and probably a good a time as any to call it quits.  

Anyone comparing this to Trudeau is way off base.  J.T. did that 20 years ago, apologized  and literally nobody believes he’s a racist.  

Cherry said what he did a few days ago, hasn’t apologized and has built his schtick around calling out anyone that doesn’t fit his “Canadian” stereotype.  

Just the worst talking point. 

• Cheers 3

23 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Yup gotta love the freedom for Rogers to send his ass down the road, just too bad they didn't send Maclean with him

They're entitled to do so. It is their company. It isn't against any sort of law for them to do so.

Given how the crazed the PC culture and SJWs are, Rogers were handcuffed into letting him go.

Despite the fact Cherry is a Knob, I did like much of what he brought.

He was a patriot and he loved Canadian hockey and he loved Canadian players.

I will always remember how well he supported the Woman's game... he was a real fan of the Woman's Olympic team and was a big part of giving them their due.

But he also never learned to shut his mouth and stop badmouthing anyone who wasn't White/English speaking/Conservative.

He never realized there are a ton of people from other communities who emigrated to Canada who have grown to love Hockey and this Country.

Look at the Sikh community in Vancouver... they are completely nuts about hockey.

Too bad his legacy is tarnished... he really should have been retired a few years ago.

And by the way... really would like to see Ron (Snake in the Grass) MaClean retired too.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They're entitled to do so. It is their company. It isn't against any sort of law for them to do so.

Given how the crazed the PC culture and SJWs are, Rogers were handcuffed into letting him go.

I think Rogers have been waiting for that door to open and like you said, they had no choice

• Cheers 1

This at least proves that Sportsnet will listen if enough people put pressure on them.  While it might be difficult to get someone like Randorf fired, if enough of us complained, at least Sportsnet would be less likely to assign him to work Canucks games.  Hopefully HNIC feels the heat and starts adressing the professionalism issues that have plagued their product for years.  Cherry was far from the worst offender when he stuck to hockey.