Sign in to follow this  
b3.

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

This at least proves that Sportsnet will listen if enough people put pressure on them.  While it might be difficult to get someone like Randorf fired, if enough of us complained, at least Sportsnet would be less likely to assign him to work Canucks games.  Hopefully HNIC feels the heat and starts adressing the professionalism issues that have plagued their product for years.  Cherry was far from the worst offender when he stuck to hockey.

Happy to know freedom of speech still applies to this country.  Personally I find nothing wrong with what he said.  Is it not true?  What he really should’ve said was Canadians in general do not wear poppy’s.   

I’m just blown away at all the people, young, immigrants, Canadians...that do not bother wearing it.   

and then you have dip$&!#s making a rainbow out of it!!!

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

Don't get the comparison to Trudeau. And I don't see how Trudeau's 'apology' means he's off the hook. Trudeau's simply a politician to the core.

I have more respect for Cherry TBH. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2

3 hours ago, Tystick said:

So again, the majority of people are good and understand this.

Some people are idiots.

At the end of the day it's all just speech. 

The real problem, IMO, is a sensitivity issue.

Words should not have this much power over people.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Liberal tolerance strikes again.

Accept everyone, except those who don’t agree with your opinion.  Ya, quite the irony.  

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

...He wore the brown face as a teacher 18 years ago. He was an adult at the time.

Ok, fair enough. 

Been stuck I in the US for awhile so don't have all my facts straight. 

• Hydration 1

3 hours ago, awalk said:

It's not. But it's a bad thing to single out the most vulnerable in a country. Immigrants are among those. 

We see it in the U.S. all the time, it incites violence from anti-immigration groups and - usually - white supremacy groups towards these vulnerable minorities. It's just important to be careful with what is said and how it is said on national TV. 

Not that he should necessarily have been fired for this, that's cancel culture at its worst.

I'd rightfully argue that young white males are the most vulnerable in society today - I don't see anyone else being ostracized as much as this group in this day and age. If you are a minority, or associate on the hierarchy of the oppressed, you have more power.

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Accept everyone, except those who don’t agree with your opinion.  Ya, quite the irony.  

Anger, hypocrisy, insecurity, and toxicity disguised as self-righteousness and moral superiority. Don't let 'em fool ya. ;)

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, nergish said:

Yup, this.

He singled out 'immigrants' for no reason whatsoever.

It's important to spread the message and share our history with younger generations, but all he needed to say was "everyone should wear a poppy".

Cherry is just trying to understand this.  Why are all these people not wearing poppy's?

I think he got it wrong.  It's not immigrants.  I imagine that there are some immigrants who don't understand but there are lots of people who just don't think that poppy's are important.  They obviously are to Cherry.  They are to me.  I buy a poppy every year and I wear it because it shows everybody that I respect that people paid the ultimate price to preserve our way of life.  Nobody who wears one has to say anything.  Also, the poppy fund is a charity and the money goes to a good cause.

When I was a kid, they gave out poppy's at school.  We all brought 10 cents or 25 cents to give to the fund and we were told by the teacher what it all mean't.  We also had our own Remembrance Day ceremony at school maybe on the 10th of November or on the Friday before if the 11th was on a weekend or Monday.  They made a big deal about it and everybody was so serious.  I was a Boy Scout and we used to march to the cenotaph on Remembrance Day ahead of the Veterans in our little town and we watched as they marched all grim faced and were remembering their fallen buddies.  And we'd say, did you see Billy's dad?  He was crying.  There were a few really old guys who we knew were WW1 Vets.  We understood how serious it was because we were face to face with the Veterans.

Do they still do this today?  I'm not sure.  I know that a WW2 Veteran would have to be over 90 years old today.  There have been wars since but the Veterans aren't in the same numbers today.

My kids don't think poppy's are important.  I used to make a point of watching the ceremony on TV and called the kids in to watch for 10 minutes or so.  They understand what it's all about and respect it but I guess it doesn't have the same human face to it now that it had for me.  I think that people in general do forget when there hasn't been a big war for many years.  That is a good thing obviously.  But I think that we need the Don Cherry's of this world to get upset and emotional at this time of year and say things that aren't PC because it gets us talking and otherwise we would forget.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

1 minute ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

I'd rightfully argue that young white males are the most vulnerable in society today - I don't see anyone else being ostracized as much as this group in this day and age. If you are a minority, or associate on the hierarchy of the oppressed, you have more power.

As I young white male I find that hilarious but to each their own I guess.

• Upvote 2

I think it was about 15 years ago, Don really put his foot in his mouth. CBC decided then not to fire him. Instead they put Coaches Corner on 10 second tape delay. Preventing any really offensive stuff from getting aired. I guess SN decided not to when they took over. Oops. Guess that was a mistake. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Lmao! You would do well as a commentator i see!

Why not? It’s not like I could do a worse job than Cherry has the last few years. 

• Upvote 1

So because he said "you people", a term generally conflated with prejudice, the flapping hands on the left decided to be offended? If you take what he said literally, then he was specifically speaking to 'the people' who do not acknowledge the tradition. He didn't say 'all of you people...' which would actually imply the offense that is setting off these virtue signalling fakes.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Ya idk about that.

Edited by Ronaldoescobar
  • Hydration 1

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

Cherry is just trying to understand this.  Why are all these people not wearing poppy's?

I think he got it wrong.  It's not immigrants.  I imagine that there are some immigrants who don't understand but there are lots of people who just don't think that poppy's are important.  They obviously are to Cherry.  They are to me.  I buy a poppy every year and I wear it because it shows everybody that I respect that people paid the ultimate price to preserve our way of life.  Nobody who wears one has to say anything.  Also, the poppy fund is a charity and the money goes to a good cause.

When I was a kid, they gave out poppy's at school.  We all brought 10 cents or 25 cents to give to the fund and we were told by the teacher what it all mean't.  We also had our own Remembrance Day ceremony at school maybe on the 10th of November or on the Friday before if the 11th was on a weekend or Monday.  They made a big deal about it and everybody was so serious.  I was a Boy Scout and we used to march to the cenotaph on Remembrance Day ahead of the Veterans in our little town and we watched as they marched all grim faced and were remembering their fallen buddies.  And we'd say, did you see Billy's dad?  He was crying.  There were a few really old guys who we knew were WW1 Vets.  We understood how serious it was because we were face to face with the Veterans.

Do they still do this today?  I'm not sure.  I know that a WW2 Veteran would have to be over 90 years old today.  There have been wars since but the Veterans aren't in the same numbers today.

My kids don't think poppy's are important.  I used to make a point of watching the ceremony on TV and called the kids in to watch for 10 minutes or so.  They understand what it's all about and respect it but I guess it doesn't have the same human face to it now that it had for me.  I think that people in general do forget when there hasn't been a big war for many years.  That is a good thing obviously.  But I think that we need the Don Cherry's of this world to get upset and emotional at this time of year and say things that aren't PC because it gets us talking and otherwise we would forget.

When I went to elementary in the 2000's they still did all of this. We always observed a moment of silence and sometimes we even had guest speakers come and speak. Not sure about the other schools or about how it is done today but my school sure did a lot for remembrance day.

Also always did a lot of fundraising for the Terry Fox run and did the run itself as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1