The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

What did you expect them to say, sir?

Maybe they’ll get fired too.

Yeah, Bo Horvat is just seething that not enough immigrants are wearing poppies. Probably explains the recent losing skid he’s been so distracted.

10 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

@Jimmy McGill

this is why I said what I said in the other thread, now locked.

- Because you can be fired and vilified for words today if they don’t fit the New Think. 

You people... 

Diversity is our strength. 

Maybe just not at Rogers. 

Small towns don’t look like they do in Rogers commercials and so I can’t really tell you how many “new Canadians” are wearing poppies and honouring that tradition, despite the obvious social engineering in those commercials meant to have me believe there are as many black people in rural Canada as there are whites, with Asians being conspicuously absent in these as well. Why do they misrepresented us like that???

Can someone tell me if Toronto’s new immigrants are wearing poppies?

Cherry clearly, most vehemently, didn’t think so, said as much, and was canned for his comments. Whether or not this demographic should be wearing them isn't my scope here. Just an interesting insinuation by Cherry which I can’t work out from here. 

Without reading the 25 pages of the thread, I hope these are respectful pages. 

Only if you vote Liberal, old, a former Bruin coach, Justin Trudeau ...oh and 1 white boy is feeling threatened as well. 

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

Honestly i don't even know what a "brown" person is but i do know that i can't say it in today's society. Me and a buddy (first nations) were in Victoria watching hockey a few weeks back and after the game we were walking downtown to get to a restaurant... he says to me " hey have you got some coin on you for those Indians..." I'm like "why do you get to call them that but everyone loses their mind if i do, he laughed and said the country is so f....ed up!

And? Do you want me to pour a 40 on the curb for your inability to feel like you can call others brown people or Indian? 

Can't be bothered to read the whole thread because I know it probably devolved into a political debate but I will point out this is freedom of speech working correctly

Wait what?

Yup, he can say it but the organization that employs him also has the freedom to disagree and not associate with him. He's not going to jail or anything, everything is working as intended

Though I do hope that people that are totally on board also remember this when someone is fired for a controversial opinion they agree with.

This all said, it's too bad that he didn't retire gracefully years ago.

Edited by TimberWolf
  • Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Curious if Cherry was right about new immigrants not wearing poppies.

Lots of room for discussion there. 

You know? That actually would be a good discussion. Cherry sure wasn’t the guy to try and have it though.

Edited by HerrDrFunk
  • Upvote 2

I come from an immigrant family, myself born in Vancouver, and what he is saying he is not incorrect, but he literally singled out immigrants which I don't agree with, since it was my parents who taught me about the poppies, my dad who was poor actually saved the old poppies, and never threw em away, add to the fact that some local canadians or non immigrants also don't wear poppies, so I'm not sure why he is singling out Immigrants, add to the fact some of them are not aware of this. my wife who was an international student when I met her, were not even aware of this poppy thing.  He could have made a friendly reminder to EVERYONE support the veterans and remember them by getting a poppy.

btw what he said had absolutely nothing and i mean nothing to do with hockey, so yes, glad hes gone.

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord

35 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Maybe they should do an investigative report and see if people new to Canada have any interest in 'buying a poppy;..?..Or interest in Remembrance Day in general..?

Maybe Cherry was telling the truth?

plenty of caucasions at the Tswassen station who looks like speaking fluent English not wearing poppies, at least half the people there.  Maybe they are immigrants who originated from the United States? who the &^@# knows, you call out immigrants you better call out everyone Mr. Cherry.  as far as I know I see plenty of non immigrants who also don't wear a poppy you senial $&!# face.

Sportsnet paid obscene dollars for the rights to NHL hockey. To make money they need advertisers to pay big money so they can recoup their investment. Having had a side gig in the rapidly fading newspaper business I can tell you that advertisers call the shots. I had a couple of stories spiked because the advertisers wouldn't like what I had to say. I wouldn't be surprised if one or more advertisers said either Cherry goes or we do. And why would advertisers be upset with Cherry? Because they, too, are trying to make money and dread anyone starting a boycott of their products. As Joel Grey and Liza Minnelli sang in Cabaret "Money makes the world go round". Don't for a moment think that Sportsnet was in any way acting out of anything other than profit and the prospect of losing revenue.

• Upvote 4

Fact: What Cherry said was discriminatory and racist.

Fact: Cherry has the freedom to say it (he's not going to jail, or anything).

Fact: Sportsnet has the right as an organization to have values that differ from Cherry's, and the right to fire someone who doesn't uphold their company values.

Fact: Cherry is unemployed. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Agreed.  I guess Cherry is a connection to a past that ain’t coming back.  Kind of like he represented a tougher league, where games were hard fought.  Adapt or die.  Cherry refused to adapt.  

Cherry should have seen this coming given the social climate and retired last year on his own terms. Sportsnet knew they were playing with fire and were both condoning it and paying for Cherry. At the same time, they had superior position in knowing when it did go down, they could play the other self-righteous side.

So, in some sense, Cherry let himself be a sitting duck ... and obviously doesn't care. He is who he is and everyone knows that. So, to persecute him now for being of a certain era and who he is ... is just people in fear afraid of consequences for thinking as individuals. 

And ... this is nothing more than a reflection in a different country of liberal anger after losing to Trump. Liberals want revenge and Cherry is a reflection of Trump. This is the consciousness underneath the behavior.

Again ... don't let 'em fool ya! ;)

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, awalk said:

As I young white male I find that hilarious but to each their own I guess.

Basing any sort of opinion on ones race is the hilarious part, and you missed my point completely. I am happy you've had such a privileged life. If you were a father of young boys, you may feel different but I don't expect you to have such insight.

Edited by VanIsleNuckFan

Cherry failed badly getting his point across. I listened to it yesterday for the first time & cringed so hard. I knew he was in for it.

Just heard it again for the 2nd time & I don't think it was as bad as originally thought. He took the divisive road, he miserably failed in getting a valuable point across, and he hasn't corrected it.

I think his time is probably passed, but I don't think he should be fired for that alone TBH. (And I know, its not just that alone, but I'm just saying)

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

Cherry should have seen this coming given the social climate and retired last year on his own terms. Sportsnet knew they were playing with fire and were both condoning it and paying for Cherry. At the same time, they had superior position in knowing when it did go down, they could play the other self-righteous side.

So, in some sense, Cherry let himself be a sitting duck ... and obviously doesn't care. He is who he is and everyone knows that. So, to persecute him now for being of a certain era and who he is ... is just people in fear afraid of consequences for thinking as individuals. 

And ... this is nothing more than a reflection in a different country of liberal anger after losing to Trump. Liberals want revenge and Cherry is a reflection of Trump. This is the consciousness underneath the behavior.

Again ... don't let 'em fool ya! ;)

You honestly think Don Cherry is in touch with social media on any level?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

Basing any sort of opinion on ones race is the hilarious part, and you missed my point completely. I am happy you've had such a privileged life. If you were a father of young boys, you may feel different but I don't expect you to have such insight.

Your point was very clear, nice try bud. Misguided and stupid,  but crystal clear.

Also you know absolutely zero about my life, and I yours. 

Laughable.

Edited by awalk

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Fact: What Cherry said was discriminatory and racist.

Fact: Cherry has the freedom to say it (he's not going to jail, or anything).

Fact: Sportsnet has the right as an organization to have values that differ from Cherry's, and the right to fire someone who doesn't uphold their company values.

Fact: Cherry is unemployed. 

How so?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2