The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

Just now, Jester13 said:

Fact: What Cherry said was discriminatory and racist.

Fact: Cherry has the freedom to say it (he's not going to jail, or anything).

Fact: Sportsnet has the right as an organization to have values that differ from Cherry's, and the right to fire someone who doesn't uphold their company values.

Fact: Cherry is unemployed. 

Interesting.

Is Fact 1, a Fact? 

I don’t think it is. Why do you think Cherry is racist? 

Wait, this could be like Trump being racist... oh boy, never mind, that goes into 4K pages of yuk 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Fact: What Cherry said was discriminatory and racist.

Fact: Cherry has the freedom to say it (he's not going to jail, or anything).

Fact: Sportsnet has the right as an organization to have values that differ from Cherry's, and the right to fire someone who doesn't uphold their company values.

Fact: Cherry is unemployed. 

Fact: What Cherry said was "You people".

Fact: You have the freedom to read into his words what you believe.

Fact: 'Inclusive' means everyone's opinion allowed.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

And? Do you want me to pour a 40 on the curb for your inability to feel like you can call others brown people or Indian? 

No i just wonder why some can around and say those terms and others can't... Why different rules, we are all just people. If i met you face to face i wouldn't think of anything different, I certainly wouldn't refer to you as a brown person. My friend Ralph is first nations but i never think of it unless he mentions something or makes a joke about it. I would hope people don't think of me as a "white" person.

38 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Even if it were true, it would still be a garbage take to single out immigrants unless an overwhelming majority of Canadian born citizens were lock step in their poppy wearing.  

Just say people should wear poppies.  That’s a good message without the racist dog whistle.

Yeah, I agree. Just would love to see something based on investigation rather than opinion. I'm all about live and let live. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

But he didn't single out honky's, and I think you miss the point, its not as much what he said as it is about where he said it, Rogers takes money from people Cherry offended, whether you think its offensive or not, and pays Cherry his salary. Cherry was not there to give his opinion on anything other then Hockey and when he chooses to go outside the box, like he does often, he opens the door to be diciplined if what he says is not acceptable by Rogers standards. Period.

It's entirely to do with what he said. His employer even said his rhetoric was divisive. He always gives his opinion on things outside of hockey and particularly around the armed forces. They should've canned him the second he did this however many decades ago if that was really the case. 

Just now, MoneypuckOverlord said:

labeling immigrants for not wearing poppies. why single them out? plenty of locals not wearing em either like wtf.

His reference and perspective may differ from yours.

I’m hoping to hear from or learn from downtown Toronto people, for instance, who can comment on the matter because I assume this is Cherry’s reference. Yours is a pretty good one too, just probably miniature, compared. 

Let’s not forget, he’s made a career career out of shaming Canadians into wearing poppies, until he went hard on immigrants.

He’s been consistent at least. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

You honestly think Don Cherry is in touch with social media on any level?

I never said that. Lol

He's a public figure who should have known better to navigate this instead of allowing himself to be taken out by false, fake progressives. But he's 85 ... so, I doubt he cares at this point. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

out of shaming Canadians

this is fine, he's not referencing one group, this time he did.

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

His reference and perspective may differ from yours.

my perspective is the same as his employers.  its obvious what he was trying to do and he got fired for it and rightfully so.

18 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Like Cherry, he’s probably not an authority on the matter.

Is anyone?

I’m certainly not. 

It’s not even about whether they do or not, though... it’s that he painted a group of people all with the same brush.  

I work at a site with 85% immigrant families - all the kids wore poppies, volunteered their time to practice for the assembly and did their best to comprehend something that happened 100 years ago.  I also learned a few kids are cadets and actively handed out poppies in the community.  The assembly was packed with family members as well - standing room only.  

The point is, it’s not fair that they all get accused and painted with the same brush by a guy (who I would consider a national icon in the area of “Canadiana”) on air to the country.  That’s what was offside about Cherry’s comments - just lazy “those darn immigrants don’t act like us” rhetoric.  If he had left that angle out I’d be applauding him, as I often did. 

As I said before, Cherry’s dismissal was a long time coming and while this may be a touch more than a straw, it’s not the first encumbrance on the proverbial camel’s back.  I think “prime” Cherry gets some time to cool off and apologize/explain himself.. but let’s face it, his time is done and as a business decision, forget political correctness or cancel culture, this makes a lot of sense.

I do hope he gets a chance to clear the air before it’s all said and done and I hope it comes with an apology but that’s up to Don. He’s 85 - I don’t expect him to come out and announce his preferred pronouns... but he’s also marketed as a presence bigger than hockey but “Canadian” and I think most Canadians aren’t okay with clumsy scapegoating of immigrants.  I hope he comes around and goes out on better terms.

• Cheers 3