The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Because he's talking about being in downtown Toronto and not seeing any immigrants wearing poppies there. Now, unless Don either asked them about their background, or he does in fact have the ability to look at someone and know their entire background, he's basing that assumption on the color of their skin alone. 

I hate talking about skin color, it's such a boring subject, but how many white immigrants come from the middle east? South Africa? India?

1 minute ago, Tystick said:

I hate talking about skin color, it's such a boring subject, but how many white immigrants come from the middle east? South Africa? India?

Probably a quite a few but something tells me Cherry wasn't set off by a group of blond haired, blue eyed people without poppies. 

• Cheers 1

This thread is gonna be fun.

It's gonna be weird not having him around anymore. It was going to happen eventually, he's held up pretty well physically but he's pretty ancient nowadays. Probably should have retired years ago, but at the same time hockey's been a huge part of his life and it's tough to let that sort of thing go. It's a shame he didn't step down on his own terms but what's done is done. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

But he tells it like it is!!!

Unfortunately nobody ever told him his only claim to fame was coaching Bobby frigging Orr 

The end of an era but at the same time long overdue

Just wondering who is going to call everyone pinko commies and mispronounce the names of every other Canuck now

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

He could have avoided all of this by simply not referring to 'you people that come here'. If you're going to call people out for not wearing poppies, call out everyone.

Yup, this.

He singled out 'immigrants' for no reason whatsoever.

It's important to spread the message and share our history with younger generations, but all he needed to say was "everyone should wear a poppy".

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

As others have stated 'end of an era'.

Lots of memories watching Don with my dad and brother growing up.  Sorry to see it  happening like this but retirement was probably something that was always on his mind anyways, you'd have to think.

I wonder what they do for a new segment?

Edited by Industrious1

2 minutes ago, Tystick said:

It doesn't matter.

The majority of the great things he's done for the hockey community will be ignored and forgotten because he misspoke on air, and therefore, he's a racist, xenophobe, terrible human that deserves to be fired.

Oh and don't you dare defend him, because then you MUST be the exact same thing.

I tend to love most things in life, but I DESPISE modern day liberalism, with a passion.

I said personally.......