The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

38 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

How so?

If you don't believe it was then I suggest you try and understand why so many people think it is, and that entails listening to what so many people already on here have mentioned, as well as all over the news. I'm not going to regurgitate all of it. 

37 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Interesting.

Is Fact 1, a Fact? 

I don’t think it is. Why do you think Cherry is racist? 

Wait, this could be like Trump being racist... oh boy, never mind, that goes into 4K pages of yuk 

Same as above.

The best way to understand racism is to do some research into what it is and why so many people (the majority, in fact) believe this situation to be so. 

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Whoops, I conflated a couple of posts. You never did mention social media in your post.

But I’m venturing Cherry probably doesn’t care about social climate at all.

Yeah, I agree. But at 85, I think it's just easier not to care. A 50-year old or 60-year old Cherry might have been sensitive enough to put in some effort to change ... maybe.

I think his intent was good but out of step. 

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

That would be fair.  Also, how many of the people seen without poppies bought one but had it fall off?

I bought one of those bands you wear around your wrist/forearm. I'm so bad at losing poppies. (Plus I have a bunch pinned to the visor in my truck)

The additional options are nice. I always hated losing the poppies. 

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

If you don't believe it was then I suggest you try and understand why so many people think it is, and that entails listening to what so many people already on here have mentioned, as well as all over the news. I'm not going to regurgitate all of it. 

Same as above.

The best way to understand racism is to do some research into what it is and why so many people (the majority, in fact) believe this situation to be so. 

You need to look up the definition of racism. 

He said "you people."

But hey the news said it..

1 hour ago, awalk said:

Your point was very clear, nice try bud. Misguided and stupid,  but crystal clear.

Also you know absolutely zero about my life, and I yours. 

Laughable.

What do you think the term toxic masculinity is? Or the ilk of feminism that is prominently pushing the anti man ideal. A young white boy is on the bottom of this totem pole. My whole point was not that YOU think this way, but that you not being aware of or having experience with this is privileged for YOU. (Did not mean to antagonize) My larger point that I claimed you missed is that any talk of anyone being better or worse than anyone else based on race or gender was just as bad as any other. Its a slippery slope, and I am seeing the tip of the iceberg. A generation of men raised by women to be fair and idealistic, only to be blamed for these issues they had nothing to do with!

I have talked to very intelligent women about how for instance when this hypocrisy exists, for instance men with breast cancer being turned away from the breast cancer organization because they are men. In response I get from these women, "yes, but its our turn now"

To write me off, especially claiming that your subjective point of view relates to a general one, where I can point out time and time again where masculinity is being attacked, in the ever increasing feminizing of the west is the laughable and misguided part.

Love that every response from you was purposefully antagonizing..thanks for the discourse. That being said, I typically like your posts.

I get that this is getting way off topic. This is all a divisive subject.

Edited by VanIsleNuckFan
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yeah the 'you people that come here' comment seemed pointed. That's pretty hard to deny. 

I'm open to people making mistakes, if he had clarified that as not being just about immigrants I think hope we would've been able to get past it, but he didn't and it compounds his fault.

Wouldn't have had an issue and would have been defending the guy if he'd clarified.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Hopefully poppies will eventually be worn in the future to commemorate the victories over the radical progressive left. 

This coming from someone who's centre left. 

radical left or radical right.

Makes no difference. 

Both equally abhorant.

That is my opinion.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Hopefully poppies will eventually be worn in the future to commemorate the victories over the radical progressive left. 

This coming from someone who's centre left. 

Yeah hopefully the best thing that comes out this is that more people will wear poppies now. 

Edited by Guest

22 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I bought one of those bands you wear around your wrist/forearm. I'm so bad at losing poppies. (Plus I have a bunch pinned to the visor in my truck)

The additional options are nice. I always hated losing the poppies. 

Hey, I do that too. I have poppies pinned to my truck visor all year round as well. 

• Cheers 1

Whew what a read.. you people that

come here.. talk about over analysis of a classic Don Cherry off the cuff remark. It is obvious his comments need to be taken with a grain of salt and they have been for a decade. This story exemplifies the hyper charged reactive social media society we live in, helps that sportsnet probably wanted an excuse to get rid of him anyway too and the media laps up controversy.

I hope he issues a follow up statement to clarify, due to all this conjecture, as this Hockey icon does not deserve to be shamed this way, to this extent, in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1