The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I already stated that i think Grapes may have crossed a line with the "you people" bit, but I agree with many stating that it was more of a "straw that broke the camel's back" thing. that one veiled remark shouldn't have been enough to get him fired.

That being said, I disagree with everyone who keeps bringing up his age as an excuse for why this move was overdue. Unless you think he has full-on dementia (which I would disagree with) i see no good reason to take someone off the air because they (and by extension, their views) are old.

Why is it necessary that we see nothing but current viewpoints? Personally, I think older people offer a lot of insight, even if it is dated. if we aren't aware enough to realize what might be coming from a different generation's viewpoint, that should be on us, not on the person expressing the view.

It's going to be a boring world, when all we have left are opinions that conform to society's perceived norm......

The vast majority of people are not SJW's, they just want to be left alone and tend to agree with the outrage if it makes sense.

Problem is, it's a clear can of worms that needs to be pushed back on before it gets worse.

You know there's a problem when you criticize the outrage and get called a racist for it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Who is arguing against this. 

My grandfather was an immigrant wears the poppy since I can remember. goes to the Legion with a hand full of friends every November.

Cherry was putting all immigrants into one category as if  people from a 100 + countries who have immigrated here all think alike don't wear them and white people all wear poppies. 

Many white ppl don't and many ethnic minorities don't.. I buy several every year because often you lose it after a couple of days they fall out so easily..

I usually stick it in my car visor after November 11th... and it stays there untill the following year. I had one in my work vehicle that lasted 2 yrs.. naturally I saw it almost everytime I got into my vehicle and remembered why it was there...

For cherry to go on national TV and claim I don't support the fallen basing it on my skin color is incorrect and uninformed..

I fail to see where he mentioned skin colour.. or talked about white people at all..   but this is really beating a dead horse now as "you people" can be interpreted many ways.

He said and clarified that anyone that comes here, or already lives here, should wear a poppy, in his opinion, as a show of respect. Akin to standing for the national anthem in his view.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Ya I been watching Cherry for over 40 years. I know exactly what he meant. This isn't the first time he's said things that are offensive. 

I don't really know if he should get fired. I don't care either way. But his comments were ignorant.. 

And he wasn't pointing them at immigrants from Poland.  Let's not try to pretend because we all know who he was directing those comments at...

You know one of the embarrassing things i have learned over the decades is that I can not embrace my ancestors without being label a white supremacist or bigot.

Canada's history is that of British ancestry as is the US. True they did many unethical things but now I suffer through the over reaction of apologies.

If I acted like any of the groups saying they are offended then what am I?

Cherry used the term "New" but also used the term "Canadians", why is it okay for Quebec to have these bigoted laws and they are accepted but all others need to sanitize all communication with political correctness.

I am called a bigot and other worse things and I object to that, but I have to sit back and do nothing because of my ancestry.

Essentially if you are not "First Nations" we are all "new" Canadians.

It was the lack of respect for Canadian veterans that spurred his mistake and how they are treated. His comment was very politically incorrect, but well received by Canadian Veterans of war.

BTW most of the old war vets are to considered bigots and supremacists by current standards. Our ancestors.

One other thing, what about free thought or speech. He didn't rally or inflame the troops to do bad things, he demanded respect he believed was lacking.

image.jpeg.3559177fbf13bb98119c46be1e418063.jpeg

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy
  • Cheers 1

I don't want it to seem like I'm disrespecting our veterans, BUT... if our soldiers protect our rights and freedoms then where were they when: 1) our government sent Japanese-Canadians to internment camps and dispossessed them of their homes? 2) or when aboriginal children where forcibly removed from their homes and placed in murder camps, I mean residential schools? 3) and where were the soldiers when the police would beat, pepper spray, illegally infiltrate and confiscate cell phones and laptops from concerned citizens, dubbed "protesters" by the State and media during the various APEC, G8, WTO, G20 (at the G20 summit in Toronto a York Region PO was caught on camera saying "this ain't Canada right now", implying a police coup and creation of a temporary police state) and other summits held in Canada? 4) or Prime Minister Borden enacted the Wartime Elections Act in 1917, which stripped many people of the right to vote who would have opposed conscription. This all in a bid (which worked!) to force Canadian men to go overseas and die for the benefit of some rich old European duke? 

Whose interests do our soldiers really serve? Outside of WW2 and the War of 1812 (and other battles waged against the USA which I would say is the only country that has actually posed a threat to Canada) I can't think of a single enemy that has threatened "our rights and freedoms", as is so often parroted. Maybe you mean Canadian business rights and freedoms? I'm not dumping on our soldiers. They do what they think is the right thing. But sometimes the biggest enemy is on the home front.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

You know one of the embarrassing things i have learned over the decades is that I can not embrace my ancestors without being label a white supremacist or bigot.

Canada's history is that of British ancestry as is the US. True they did many unethical things but now I suffer through the over reaction of apologies.

If I acted like any of the groups saying they are offended then what am I?

Cherry used the term "New" but also used the term "Canadians", why is it okay for Quebec to have these bigoted laws and they are accepted but all others need to sanitize all communication with political correctness.

I am called a bigot and other worse things and I object to that, but I have to sit back and do nothing because of my ancestry.

Essentially if you are not "First Nations" we are all "new" Canadians.

It was the lack of respect for Canadian veterans that spurred his mistake and how they are treated. His comment was very politically incorrect, but well received by Canadian Veterans of war.

BTW most of the old war vets are to considered bigots and supremacists by current standards. Our ancestors.

One other thing, what about free thought or speech. He didn't rally or inflame the troops to do bad things, he demanded respect he believed was lacking.

Curious about this. In what way are you celebrating our ancestors that leads to others calling you a bigot? Genuinely curious because this has not been my experience, but I see these types of comments from others.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Meanwhile these outrage idiots assumed the worst case scenario and forced the guy into retirement.

Yep, as soon as Vice News was all over it, it was game over. That said, he should have been more careful with his words and also come out with this explanation sooner. 

Also the outrage opposing the outrage idiots is equally as idiotic. There's a nice middle ground that we should all be striving for. 

Edited by awalk
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, awalk said:

Yep, as soon as Vice News was all over it, it was game over. That said, he should have been more careful with his words and also come out with this explanation sooner. 

Also the outrage opposing the outrage idiots is equally as idiotic. There's a nice middle ground that we should all be striving for. 

hey if they let Don back on Saturday to issue an apology and explanation, I'd be fine with that. It would be a much better way to wrap this all up. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

hey if they let Don back on Saturday to issue an apology and explanation, I'd be fine with that. It would be a much better way to wrap this all up. 

Totally. What does firing him really accomplish? It just furthers the divide, everyone yells at each other, nothing is learned. Makes him a lynch pin for the left and a martyr for the right.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, awalk said:

No, the losers can calm the f down.

If you watch the entire clip, the context is there.

Tired of PC culture and language police.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

You really think this going to be wrapped up?

Many people are not happy about this.

• Like 1