The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

2 minutes ago, apollo said:

Man I feel really bad for Don. Not that he needs the job but they shortened his segment and rushed him ever since disgusting Roger's took over. 

He's right... He has 7 minutes only, cut him some slack. 

Also saw this on insta... Thought worth sharing. 

The guy's a legend.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Ya not bad idea. We've all enjoyed him on tv .. decades in my case.. 

Let the old guy sail off into the sunset on good terms.

I found his remarks ignorant but I don't know i want him fired over it. He's 85 he's gonna say what he thinks. Not going to change his mindset in his 80s when he didn't in his 50s or 60s

What Cherry said was not well thought out at all.

The fact that he's 85 seems to be pretty easy for the average self-righteous tweeter to bypass when considering what he said.

In fact, plenty of the comments I've read condemning Cherry are critical of his age and in a very brutal way. I think most are in agreeance that racially motivated derogatory speech is neither constructive nor is it helpful for anyone in society. It seems though that making fun of someone's age is open season.

• Cheers 2

45 minutes ago, BowtieCanuck said:

Wrong? Since when is trying to put everyone on a level playing field going to be wrong? The problem is the world is no longer catering to whites and white people are having an identity crisis over it.

White people were behind the Chinese Head Tax, the Komagata Maru fiasco and Residential Schools. We can't ignore the fact that racial injustice for several hundred years has almost exclusively been done by whites throughout the world.

And your great great grand parents were saints no doubt.

It is this type of thinking that has the middle east and some areas of Europe in turmoil for ions, killing one another for wrongs committed by generational episodes.

We can't ignore the fact that racial injustice for several hundred years has almost exclusively been done by whites throughout the world.

But go ahead and ignore all this;

Somalia, genocide, Uganda, genocide, Myanmar genocide, Rawanda, genocide, Turks/Armenia, genocide, ISIS, genocide, Serbian genocide,  Bosnian genocide, the Assyrian genocide, the Serbian genocide, the Holodomor, the Indonesian genocide, the Guatemalan genocide, the 1971 Bangladesh genocide, the Cambodian genocide, etc...

Racial injustice has not been recognized by most of the world or at least not by those inflicting it. Blaming me for buying the Queen Charlottes for the price of blankets and iron axes is not my fault, that was over turned even though there was a signed treaty as being not fair.

Egyptians took advantage of others in their area, Romans took advantage for centuries, the inquisition, the Zulu, Actecs, age after age there is one group dominating another for whatever reason or however, but no where has there been as much effort to punish the children and descendants of those who committed the wrong over a century later.

If this were to be a level playing field would not the majority's opinions lead?

Wrong? Since when is trying to put everyone on a level playing field going to be wrong? The problem is the world is no longer catering to whites and white people are having an identity crisis over it.
Just what am I or my generation guilty of? Certainly not saints or even close.

This whole thing is about comments about respecting Canadian soldiers, this is one item not allowed to be taught anymore, we used to learn this in school.

By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead.Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved, and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch, be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

This whole thing is about comments about respecting Canadian soldiers, this is one item not allowed to be taught anymore, we used to learn this in school.

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

Why on earth is this not allowed to be taught in schools anymore? 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

White anglo saxon men between 20 and 40 need not apply, you know this has been done by the government and their agencies three times in my association, WCB, RCMP in Alberta and a defence contract in Victoria. Disregarding best qualified for political reasons. As it so happens I do have some First Nations blood but look totally anglo saxon and have been subject to reverse discrimination by political correctness. If I said anything it was not heard but let me be something else and the outcry.

We get further and further away from our roots as we try to incorporate multiculturalism into a mainstream. Nothing that is done will change the roots of this country but there more and more statues and other historic but politically incorrect personages being torn down or eliminated from the history books.

Will they change the name of Vancouver because he had a bed warmer, was a bigot and took advantage of the locals, is the name British to be eliminated from this provinces name? How many changes will be necessary before a white person can say this is wrong without being painted a white supremacist or bigot? You know there were white people that did good things too in history. But history is filled with one ethnic group dominating another and in Canada we seem to be trying to apologize for them all.

If I made a statement of "Welcome to Canada, a land of tolerance, leave all your past struggles and injustices behind and embrace our values and diversification , you are now in a new country without war, become Canadian" well that is now being bigoted because the request is that they follow our values.

This is a conversation that no anglo saxon can win because it is politically  incorrect to mention that this happens. I dare not even use the word "white" for being tagged a member of the KKK.

Your views seem quite extreme. Multiculturalism was mainstream a decade and a half ago when I was in middle school.

But to each their own, your views are based on your experiences not mine. I just simply don't agree. 

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Chicken. said:

I fail to see where he mentioned skin colour.. or talked about white people at all..   but this is really beating a dead horse now as "you people" can be interpreted many ways.

He said and clarified that anyone that comes here, or already lives here, should wear a poppy, in his opinion, as a show of respect. Akin to standing for the national anthem in his view.

It appears people would rather use their divine powers to read other's minds instead of listening to a person's actual words.  Cherry has stated his intentions, and yet (SJWs) refuse to listen.  Their behaviour implies they have some kind of divine powers, and no one can tell them otherwise, or they too are met with unfair judgement and treated horribly.  There is the cry of, "you meant this!"  Thought police.  Owellian in its nature.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, awalk said:

Your views seem quite extreme. Multiculturalism was mainstream a decade and a half ago when I was in middle school.

But to each their own, your views are based on your experiences not mine. I just simply don't agree. 

Cheers.

You mean "extreme" in a negative way.  

On 11/11/2019 at 12:44 PM, 10pavelbure96 said:

Lol are women allowed in the men's change room at the local rec centre?? I'm all for inclusivity but that's a poor example.

Clearly there is a huge divide of people who support Don and those who don't 

Actually funny thing that I heard from a friend of mine who is a girl, that basically when there is a male and female combined skating or hockey event, the changerooms are unisex which I found kinda weird

16 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

What? This is still taught in schools.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Tystick said:

He explains himself very well here.

I knew it was a matter of time before he clarified his comments. It's telling that Sportsnet replayed the coaches corner segment over the rest of the night, as if nobody at the network noticed anything outrageous being said... until the next day.. 

Hopefully they bring him back this week haha what a whirlwind that would be, good for ratings too 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It appears people would rather use their divine powers to read other's minds instead of listening to a person's actual words.  Cherry has stated his intentions, and yet (SJWs) refuse to listen.  Their behaviour implies they have some kind of divine powers, and no one can tell them otherwise, or they too are met with unfair judgement and treated horribly.  There is the cry of, "you meant this!"  Thought police.  Owellian in its nature.  

You know what they say about people who assume... makes an ass out of you and me. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

And your great great grand parents were saints no doubt.

It is this type of thinking that has the middle east and some areas of Europe in turmoil for ions, killing one another for wrongs committed by generational episodes.

We can't ignore the fact that racial injustice for several hundred years has almost exclusively been done by whites throughout the world.

But go ahead and ignore all this;

Somalia, genocide, Uganda, genocide, Myanmar genocide, Rawanda, genocide, Turks/Armenia, genocide, ISIS, genocide, Serbian genocide,  Bosnian genocide, the Assyrian genocide, the Serbian genocide, the Holodomor, the Indonesian genocide, the Guatemalan genocide, the 1971 Bangladesh genocide, the Cambodian genocide, etc...

Racial injustice has not been recognized by most of the world or at least not by those inflicting it. Blaming me for buying the Queen Charlottes for the price of blankets and iron axes is not my fault, that was over turned even though there was a signed treaty as being not fair.

Egyptians took advantage of others in their area, Romans took advantage for centuries, the inquisition, the Zulu, Actecs, age after age there is one group dominating another for whatever reason or however, but no where has there been as much effort to punish the children and descendants of those who committed the wrong over a century later.

If this were to be a level playing field would not the majority's opinions lead?

Just what am I or my generation guilty of? Certainly not saints or even close.

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

We used to have a poster who was really good on this historical bad treatment of people.  I remember him posting a lot of evidence that a lot of cultures have been done bad things to others, and it's not just the Europeans. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You mean "extreme" in a negative way.  

I do, yes.

Well sort of... more just, very far in one direction and not necessarily reasonable. But I suppose that's negative so yes.

Edited by awalk
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We used to have a poster who was really good on this historical bad treatment of people.  I remember him posting a lot of evidence that a lot of cultures have been done bad things to others, and it's not just the Europeans. 

Yeah but that guy was also so triggered by vegans that he decided to have a multi-page argument where he claimed up and down that plants have cognitive abilities equal to animals. So I'd fact check any tidbits you picked up from him.

Edited by HerrDrFunk
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Alflives said:

Cherry, and those who are on his side of this discussion, are now radical war mongers?  This has to do with wearing a poppy, and not jingoism.  

The voice of reason - don’t know if it will cut through some of this muck.   What he did wasn’t that bad - he’s not a right wing Nazi - it’s not political like some seem to think - it was all about doing what is right.  Those that don’t think wearing a poppy matters  have to give their head a shake.   Bet there is a lot of people within a block from them that have had family affected by the wars and military assignments of the past that still affects them to this day.    For a lot of people it might not seem real to them because they don’t have family and that fought - but to those that do it’s a very big deal.  

Who cares if Cherry didn’t fight or wasn’t in the army (why would anyone bring that up?) ...He grew up in the aftermath - as did a lot of us here as well.  Respect shouldn’t have to be asked for in this regard.  But if someone has to remind people of its importance so be it. I bet a lot of poppies were purchased as a result - and a lot of press made sure it was covered.   You don’t have to like or dislike anyone that does something like this, the message was pretty clear - Those that don’t think this is a big deal, we’ll go buy something - or go to the doctor for free - or go to bed without worrying about a bomb been dropped on your house - or getting woken up in the middle of the night and put in jail because of your belief system. 

Wonder how many on this site even know about how many NHLers hung up their skates and went to war (Nazis did have a grip on Europe for a while, most people at that time in Canada came from there and had family that fought in the Great War).  Many stars and a lot of regulars did - and some didn’t come back.  Rocket Richard tried three times to enlist - each time he was turned down because of a physical issue - hard to believe.   Some of his records also probably wouldn’t have occurred if the best of the best in the original six was all there as well as they definitely were not.    Even in the early days some of the guys fought in the First World War.    Cherry has a lot better knowledge of his then I do as he played and coached in and around these guys and their fathers.   That’s all I want to say - SN is acting like a Canadian institution - god help us if we offend anyone not matter the message.  Freedom of speech.   Sure. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2