The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

29 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Why on earth is this not allowed to be taught in schools anymore? 

Which schools? Where? Every school Remembrance Day assembly I've ever seen included In Flanders Fields. Some teachers even had it posted on a chart in their classrooms. Don't know where you got this crazy idea from, but it is written into the BC School Act that every school shall have a Remembrance Day Assembly, so it is the law.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Wonder how many on this site even know about how many NHLers hung up their skates and went to war (Nazis did have a grip on Europe for a while, most people at that time in Canada came from there and had family that fought in the Great War).  Many stars and a lot of regulars did - and some didn’t come back.  Rocket Richard tried three times to enlist - each time he was turned down because of a physical issue - hard to believe.   Some of his records also probably wouldn’t have occurred if the best of the best in the original six was all there as well as they definitely were not.    Even in the early days some of the guys fought in the First World War.    Cherry has a lot better knowledge of his then I do as he played and coached in and around these guys and their fathers.   That’s all I want to say - SN is acting like a Canadian institution - god help us if we offend anyone not matter the message.  Freedom of speech.   Sure. 

Just imagine if they didn't go or any of the current day evil "oppressors" that need punishing for great great grandpa's sins. How many freedoms would there be?

Many new people just don't know what the poppy represents

Not allowed anymore, the Lord's prayer and God Save The Queen, a song commemorating our roots and ancestors

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, apollo said:

Man I feel really bad for Don. Not that he needs the job but they shortened his segment and rushed him ever since disgusting Roger's took over. 

He's right... He has 7 minutes only, cut him some slack. 

Also saw this on insta... Thought worth sharing. 

Okay, so Don Cherry said he meant one thing and it came out wrong.  He added he wished he had the chance to apologize and clarify his intentions.  Yet the SJWs still want to vilify the man, and call him a racist.  I guess the divine powers of the thought police have no bounds.  It's a sad day, when we fellow Canadians cannot forgive a person for a mistake in their chosen words, when clearly (by their own words soon after) they stated it was a mistake in word choice.  And then anyone who points this out must be a racist too.  It's a very sad day when we Canadians try to divide rather than bring together.    

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Just imagine if they didn't go or any of the current day evil "oppressors" that need punishing for great great grandpa's sins. How many freedoms would there be?

Many new people just don't know what the poppy represents

Every dominant culture rose to the top by stepping on others.  Is there one that didn't?  It's the natural survival of species stuff.  Don Cherry is only trying to get all Canadians to acknowledge the men and women who have worn our flag into conflict.  War is bad, but our soldiers aren't bad.  Now, people forget.  It's sad.   

5 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

I have no problem with that. The SJW movement however.... And if you don't share their opinions then you are a racist and a bigot.

It's this whole Facebook argument thing... it's like it took all the worst aspects of CDC from pre-2010 and amplified it by 10000 and that's how we got CancelCulture. 

I think Sportsnet wanted to dump Cherry but didn't want to fire him or not renew his contract as it would likely come with backlash. This gave them an easy way out to drop a high priced employee while "apparently" doing the right thing.

Don was over the hill, but I still enjoyed listening to him. I don't listen to any other CBC intermission crap on the weekend but him and Burke. Now it will just be Burke I guess.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

What exactly is this SJW movement? Are there membership cards? Meetings? Pledges of allegiance? Local chapters? International governing bodies? Or is the term SJW just a kind of dog whistle to rally opponents of, well, social justice? Perhaps you would prefer social injustice? As far as I can see there are extremes at either end of the spectrum. Try for the common ground and go from there, but if you insist on labelling those who disagree with you SJWs, you are being just as militant as the people you disparage. Then nobody can hear each other over the shouting. Let's all try a little tolerance and recognize that not agreeing with your world view isn't bad or evil or stupid, it is just different and labelling it with some nebulous catch all term doesn't help anyone.

This. 

All of this. 

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Which schools? Where? Every school Remembrance Day assembly I've ever seen included In Flanders Fields. Some teachers even had it posted on a chart in their classrooms. Don't know where you got this crazy idea from, but it is written into the BC School Act that every school shall have a Remembrance Day Assembly, so it is the law.

Just going off the post, which I am hoping is false.  Been a few years since I was in school.

Number 753 in "you can't make this up"

Apparently a sizeable number of people have slammed the Royal Canadian Legion for speaking out against Cherry's remarks. The most common threat was a refusal to buy poppies in the future. The logic of protesting against people who don't wear poppies by not wearing poppies is kind of a curious way to make a point.

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

What exactly is this SJW movement? Are there membership cards? Meetings? Pledges of allegiance? Local chapters? International governing bodies? Or is the term SJW just a kind of dog whistle to rally opponents of, well, social justice? Perhaps you would prefer social injustice? As far as I can see there are extremes at either end of the spectrum. Try for the common ground and go from there, but if you insist on labelling those who disagree with you SJWs, you are being just as militant as the people you disparage. Then nobody can hear each other over the shouting. Let's all try a little tolerance and recognize that not agreeing with your world view isn't bad or evil or stupid, it is just different and labelling it with some nebulous catch all term doesn't help anyone.

2 minutes ago, awalk said:

This. 

All of this. 

It depends on how the term SJW is being used.  If someone says it solely because they disagree with what you say on a subject, then it's someone being lazy in lieu of making a proper counter-point or argument.

If it's used to refer to a person, or people, who are constantly looking to get an outrage high from being outraged over any and all social issues then it's being used as originally intended.

A month or two ago I came across an article that studied people who were seen as continually being outraged over social issues.  When they were given scans, the reward center of their brain would go into overdrive. 

Those kind of people seeking to be offended on the behalf of others because they get pleasure from it are why the term SJW was created. 

Even before clicking on this thread for the very first time 30 minutes ago, I knew for sure that one well known CDC poster here would be all over this thread, especially in the beginning because he fits into the SJW mould almost perfectly.  I was right.  He just couldn't resist the social justice siren song.

Also, what some of you consider to be social justice, others may not have the same opinion.

• Upvote 1

On 11/11/2019 at 3:46 PM, Alflives said:

Didn’t Don espouse openly his love for Kadri?  Kadri is a Muslim, yet Don was kissing him on TV.  Don loves hockey, and he loves Canada.  More of us need to do more than just wear a poppy a couple weeks of the year.  For those who are saying Cherry is a racist maybe they should go and take care of a deceased service man or woman’s grave?  

Kadri is a Canadian born and raised in Ontario, AND he played for the Leafs. Of course Cherry going to like him. Cherry loves his Canadian boys, I’m the same, love to see our Canadian boys beat the US in the olympics and dominate throughout the league. Still have that team Canada 2010 team poster in my room :wub:

I don’t think Cherry is a racist. His message could have been delivered better though. It was pretty clear who he was delivering his message towards and it didn’t sound nice :unsure:

As a Canadian born and raised in Vancouver who is brown. I can say the Indian community (from what I have seen) is more hurt about his comments. A lot of these guys parents or grandparents immigrated here. They were big hockey fans and they watched and loved Don Cherry all throughout the 80s and 90s. 

My my dad been watching the Canucks and HNIC since he was 10. Started watching in 82’ (bandwagon alert). Besides give me the regular lecture on why Smyl was the best Canuck captain ever, he told me Cherry been saying wild $&!# since the start.

As per wearing poppies. A lot of my white, Asian and brown friends wear and don’t wear poppies. Personally idk how I feel about his comments. 

I think if Cherry would have been given the chance to clear up what he meant or said with his statement on the next Hockey Night in Canada, it could have resolved everything. Even saying he didn’t mean it in an offensive way, which I’m sure he didn’t mean to offend anyone.

Imo, I think they fired him because of money. Sponsors like Budweiser and $&!# were making statements about not supporting him. Why fire him now, after all the crazy $&!# he’s said in his career?

Just my two cents on the topic.

Edited by J-23
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

I agree with you, but that is what freedom is, the right not to participate and I'm sure our men and woman in the military would agree with me

I am also sure that they would but to me it's not about that. It's about the attitude. People have the freedom to participate and not participate that's true but can there be something that can bring people together. The people who have been here for while with the people who have not? From what I have seen a vast majority of people who come here from other countries end up conglomerating with other people who come from the same parts of the world and stay within those social circles. If you immigrate to Canada, great! Glad to have you, now let's celebrate together and mourn together.

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

What's wrong with good old fashion Street Justice!

(was filmed in Vancouver!):

*Street Justice video*

I didn't even know that show existed.  Carl Weathers on an action packed 90's TV show.  I missed out!

• Cheers 1