The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

6 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Irrelevant. Understand the context of the situation. A icon of Canadian and Hockey Culture was abruptly fired and you decide to go on an aggressive tangent on Hockey Culture? There was no positive outcome from what she said. At the very least with Don there was a patriotic aspect.

Yes, I understand the context with Don was that he has a long history of saying other ignorant $&!# that was rooted in bigotry and xenophobia. 

Does Jesse Allan usually do this too? 

Edited by HerrDrFunk

15 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I got to 2:10 and then well it was either turn it off or carve out my own ears.  Typical psycho.  As a white kid growing up playing hockey it wasn’t about my rich parents (didn’t have those). It was about bake sales, swap meets, fundraisers, ride sharing, having a part time job by 14.  Refereeing for extra money, Skate-athons for charity, etc etc etc.  Guys I grew up playing with are now family men.  Some are fireman(person) who serve the community non stop.  There were no bullies.  We got a long. We played sports and went to practice so we didn’t have to hang out at 711.  Good kids.

this is just a cliched example of a loud mouthed woman living in her own world of insecurities and self induced fear.

its fine if hockey wasn’t a part of your life.  My kids don’t play.  But her lumping all the white kid hockey players together - well she was better of saying “you people”.

what a clown.

Well said, riff. I shut it off at the same timeframe when that moron started generalizing all hockey people into one neat little box so that her walnut sized brain could comprehend it. These idiots get upset when morons from the right generalize, but yet they do the same thing.

Society needs to wake up and purge itself of extremist politics on both sides of the spectrum.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

People should feel far more indebted to those who gave their lives to preserve freedom than they presently do. The laissez faire attitude towards matters of such importance are truly unfortunate. Personally, (and I'm a first generation Canadian) I feel wearing a poppy has some significance but again, it's a gesture. Walking up to veterans and thanking them for their service to the country we all enjoy is of paramount importance.

I do think that there is a definite difference in how immigrants operate now versus how they used to. Back in the day when my parents came here, or my wife's parents came here, the average immigrant faced a lot more discrimination. My father endured being called a mic and paddy by people here, but didn't let it phase him. My father-in-law stated that he was openly called a wop numerous times but kept his head down and worked his ass off to make a good life for himself, and in turn his family. People from China came here to build the railroad, some of them dying in the process, yet laid roots and embraced the country all the same becoming part of the fabric of the society.

I remember asking the grandfather of a friend of mine, why he chose to stay in Canada when he was being called a plethora of names. He said that he'd rather stay in Canada and become a citizen, than go back to China where he'd be subject to far worse. That perseverance kept him going and eventually helped to shape the society we live in. He said that he wanted to be a Canadian, not just live here, and that he left for a reason.  

At the end of the day did many immigrants come to this country because the country they left was a good place? 3 of my 4 grand parents families came here for religious reasons. Sorry but all white. Well maybe some testing needed as there are stories about the time in Iowa. In the early days it didn't make much dif what colour you were if you couldn't feed your family. Indentured serfitude should be checked out by some on here. 

This is a topic that could have been talked about in the last election but after all this is Canada and we don't really talk about anything of importance during elections. Don Cherry is being scapegoated to an extent to make up for the lack of any other outlet. If Sportsnet and Labatts really were that worried about sensitivities and unity they would have agreed to Cherry coming on one more time for his goodbyes. It would have been tough as he would have had to sit next to MacLean the back stabber. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I disagree that he's a bigot. He did something stupid 20 years ago. If that makes one a bigot, then I'm pretty sure 90% of society is....

What about when he stated that the only good Prime Minsters are French Canadian?  

6 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Yes, I understand the context with Don was that he has a long history of saying other ignorant $&!# that was rooted in bigotry and xenophobia. 

Does Jesse Allan usually do this too? 

I for one don't believe what he said was xenophobic.

I can't speak as to her previous comments. Timing is everything in media though. 

2 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

I for one don't believe what he said was xenophobic.

I for one disagree but I'll give Cherry credit for saying he should have called out all Canadians instead. 

3 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

I can't speak as to her previous comments. Timing is everything in media though. 

Well, if you find anything more from Jessica Arrand, let me know. It might shift my opinion from "that was stupid and she has no idea what she's talking about" to "eh, she probably shouldn't have a platform". 

@Bob.Loblaw @ReggieBush

In reference to what you touched on regarding homophobia in the NHL, I do remember that interview Nils Andersson Anders Nilsson gave were he bluntly said there are no gay players in the NHL because they would have been run out of junior leagues long before making it to that point. Not saying that's absolute but it is a pretty damning indictment. 

Edit: had a bit of a brainfart. It wasn't Nils Andersson; it was Anders Nilsson. 

Edited by HerrDrFunk

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

@Bob.Loblaw @ReggieBush

In reference to what you touched on regarding homophobia in the NHL, I do remember that interview Nils Andersson gave were he bluntly said there are no gay players in the NHL because they would have been run out of junior leagues long before making it to that point. Not saying that's absolute but it is a pretty damning indictment. 

Find the interview.

22 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well said, riff. I shut it off at the same timeframe when that moron started generalizing all hockey people into one neat little box so that her walnut sized brain could comprehend it. These idiots get upset when morons from the right generalize, but yet they do the same thing.

Society needs to wake up and purge itself of extremist politics on both sides of the spectrum.

Scary that someone who claims to be university educated is this reactionary and ignorant.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

People should feel far more indebted to those who gave their lives to preserve freedom than they presently do. The laissez faire attitude towards matters of such importance are truly unfortunate. Personally, (and I'm a first generation Canadian) I feel wearing a poppy has some significance but again, it's a gesture. Walking up to veterans and thanking them for their service to the country we all enjoy is of paramount importance.

I do think that there is a definite difference in how immigrants operate now versus how they used to. Back in the day when my parents came here, or my wife's parents came here, the average immigrant faced a lot more discrimination. My father endured being called a mic and paddy by people here, but didn't let it phase him. My father-in-law stated that he was openly called a wop numerous times but kept his head down and worked his ass off to make a good life for himself, and in turn his family. People from China came here to build the railroad, some of them dying in the process, yet laid roots and embraced the country all the same becoming part of the fabric of the society.

I remember asking the grandfather of a friend of mine, why he chose to stay in Canada when he was being called a plethora of names. He said that he'd rather stay in Canada and become a citizen, than go back to China where he'd be subject to far worse. That perseverance kept him going and eventually helped to shape the society we live in. He said that he wanted to be a Canadian, not just live here, and that he left for a reason.  

Totally agree with the first paragraph, it is easy to forget how lucky we are, hence the importance of remembrance day

The desire to assimilate as a Canadian through and through seems to be diminishing these days amongst new immigrants. Just my personal observation, which may be contributing to the angst in society towards increasing the flow of newcomers even though our population essentially needs it from an economic perspective I keep hearing.

I do find this graph tidbit interesting though in regards to population increase amongst our peers, seems we are dominating the pack in growth rate relative to current population.

Chart 1.2 for 91-215-x2018001

Chart 1.3 for 91-215-x2018001

Edited by Chicken.
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ReggieBush said:

I literally made 8 differently worded google searches searching for it. Found nothing of the sorts. 

Well it does help if I don't get confused and mix up Nils Andersson and Anders Nilsson in my head. 

https://www.outsports.com/2018/8/14/17651676/anders-nilsson-vancouver-canucks-gay-player

“That’s why I think when people say there are three to four gay players on each [NHL] team, I say no, absolutely not. They quit when they were younger. There’s no one who would dare to or want to keep playing. Team sports are about the feeling of togetherness, it’s just as fun to go there to hang out and have someone to talk to as the actual sports, but if you have a hard time in the dressing room when you’re a teen it’s not as fun to play hockey on the field either.”

Nilsson talked about how frequently the words “fag,” “faggot” and other gay slurs were used in youth leagues he played in. “ ‘Fag’ is used as an insult and the jargon is harsh toward anyone who stands out,” he said, adding that such language would not be tolerated in an NHL locker room

Edited by HerrDrFunk
  • Upvote 1