Sign in to follow this  
b3.

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Just saw Jess Allen’s rant on hockey hypocrisy at it's finest she should be fired too imo. If that's the standard for Cherry that's the standard for that ignorant b****. 

She won't be because this is Canada and that's the definition of "inclusiveness" here. 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

Not a stat holiday in Ontario


yep see even Ontario doesn't respect the veterans  anymore  , it should be a stat  holiday   what a joke 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Just curious, is everyone who's calling for this nobody to be fired considered an SJW now? 

No.  our ears just hurt

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Speaking for myself, Cherry used a poor choice of words but I don't think he should have been fired imo. However if that's now the standard she should be fired too because you can't have it both ways. 

Just for the record, I thought her comments were &^@#ing stupid and if she loses her job over them, oh well. 

 

But for everyone in the "everything is equal" camp, is she also a Canadian icon who's had a habit of making bigoted statements towards hockey players/white folks for 35+ years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

If Cherry is fired she should be too, can't have these double standards imo. 

exactly  you start screaming for equality ( which I am all for )  but then you make a very similar remark  , well you should be fired too  remember you wanted equality too  ,  

Edited by the grinder
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jess Allen is just trying to be edgy and over the top so people will actually watch her

Hmmmm.........

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Just for the record, I thought her comments were &^@#ing stupid and if she loses her job over them, oh well. 

 

But for everyone in the "everything is equal" camp, is she also a Canadian icon who's had a habit of making bigoted statements towards hockey players/white folks for 35+ years?

The remarks should be what the decision is solely based on. Much like Cherry, she had a platform and made divisive comments.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Jess Allen is just trying to be edgy and over the top so people will actually watch her

Hmmmm......…

Good point. Any publicity....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The remarks should be what the decision is solely based on. Much like Cherry, she had a platform and made divisive comments.

exactly the same arguments  that are used against cherry , can now be applied  to jess allen    fair is fair right?    

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The remarks should be what the decision is solely based on. Much like Cherry, she had a platform and made divisive comments.

Do you think it was solely the one comment Cherry made that got him fired? Or do you think it was that comment also dredging up his long, sordid history of making similar comments in the past? 

 

I also think if Cherry has just come out Sunday and said "Sorry, I got too fired up about a topic I'm very passionate about and misspoke. Every Canadian should wear a poppy!", he'd still have a job; but he chose not to. 

Edited by HerrDrFunk
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The remarks should be what the decision is solely based on. Much like Cherry, she had a platform and made divisive comments.

Does she work for Rogers too? that I guess would at least give us a real common basis to ask for similar treatment. 

 

Not really impressed by her clarification tho... 

 

Carcillo's comments are interesting, and at least from some real experience in the game. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Just for the record, I thought her comments were &^@#ing stupid and if she loses her job over them, oh well. 

 

But for everyone in the "everything is equal" camp, is she also a Canadian icon who's had a habit of making bigoted statements towards hockey players/white folks for 35+ years?

Like I said yesterday, timing is everything. If she thought that it was the correct time to make a comment like that, she deserves to get fired. It is obvious that it wasn't and she lacked the foresight to see that. It is inexcusable.

 

It was a racist, ignorant comment made at the wrong time on a national stage.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Do you think it was solely the one comment Cherry made that got him fired?

You’d have to inquire with Sportsnet about that. I’d assume there was some leakage but he’s made stupid comments before and wasn’t fired. 
 

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Or do you think it was that comment also dredging up his long, sordid history of making similar comments in the past? 

But Sportsnet kept him on though. They knew a cash cow when they saw one, until it was no longer profitable. 

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I also think if Cherry has just come out Sunday and said "Sorry, I got too fired up about a topic I'm very passionate about and misspoke. Every Canadian should wear a poppy!" but he chose not to. 

Wasn’t he interviewed on Sunday regarding this and said just that? 
 

Maybe it was Monday. I don’t remember. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Wasn’t he interviewed on Sunday regarding this and said just that? 
 

Maybe it was Monday. I don’t remember. 

That interview was after he was fired

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You’d have to inquire with Sportsnet about that. I’d assume there was some leakage but he’s made stupid comments before and wasn’t fired. 

But Sportsnet kept him on though. They knew a cash cow when they saw one, until it was no longer profitable. 

I have to imagine, from Sportsnet's perspective, it was "Oh for &^@#s sake, again?". No, Cherry wasn't fired for similar comments in the past but does that give him free reign to continue to make those comments?

 

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Maybe it was Monday. I don’t remember. 

I could be mistaken, but I don't think he did any interviews until after he was let go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What if she or anyone else for that matter made a comment attacking a different demographic? What if she called basketball culture toxic and that from her experience they are just black boys who are bullies?

 

I guarantee she would be fired for that.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Does she work for Rogers too? that I guess would at least give us a real common basis to ask for similar treatment. 

Who knows? Whomever hired her should look at her uninformed, racist, and moronic statement and treat it as such. Otherwise they’re enabling her bigotry. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Not really impressed by her clarification tho... 

Not at all. There’s an air of self-righteousness in her explanation that seems eerily familiar to the words of the idiot who tweeted about the race and age of the victims of the Humboldt bus crash. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Carcillo's comments are interesting, and at least from some real experience in the game. 

What were they? Carcillo is a pretty bright guy. 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.