The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I have to imagine, from Sportsnet's perspective, it was "Oh for &^@#s sake, again?". No, Cherry wasn't fired for similar comments in the past but does that give him free reign to continue to make those comments?

I could see that too. But they kept putting him on the air regardless. They’re culpable, in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I could be mistaken, but I don't think he did any interviews until after he was let go. 

It’s me who’s mistaken, Herr. ::D

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Who knows? Whomever hired her should look at her uninformed, racist, and moronic statement and treat it as such. Otherwise they’re enabling her bigotry. 

Not at all. There’s an air of self-righteousness in her explanation that seems eerily familiar to the words of the idiot who tweeted about the race and age of the victims of the Humboldt bus crash. 

What were they? Carcillo is a pretty bright guy. 

SID posted them a page up. 

I missed the Humboldt thing (no need to repost it for me, lets not spread it) but not surprised someone would do that. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I could see that too. But they kept putting him on the air regardless. They’re culpable, in my opinion. 

Sure, that's totally fair. It's not like they didn't have nearly 40 years as a broadcaster to get to know who Don Cherry is. 

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It’s me who’s mistaken, Herr. ::D

Whoops! :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

What would she know about hockey anyway? Ask Tiger how expenasive golf is, or Serena how expensive tennis is. As for bullies, we're always hearing about an NFL player beating his wife or assulting someone. Don't hear much of that in hockey.

Believe it or not, all of the pro sports in NA come in lower than national averages when it comes to crime. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Who knows? Whomever hired her should look at her uninformed, racist, and moronic statement and treat it as such. Otherwise they’re enabling her bigotry. 

had to look it up, looks like her show is owned by Bell, so not the same employer as Cherry. I wonder how the Lets Talk folks feel about it? 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

What would she know about hockey anyway? Ask Tiger how expenasive golf is, or Serena how expensive tennis is. As for bullies, we're always hearing about an NFL player beating his wife or assulting someone. Don't hear much of that in hockey.

well except for the Russian defenseman on the kings a few years back  that got suspended immediately 

• Upvote 1

Wow, just actually watched the original clip for the first time...

I dont even think what he said indefinitely means people who come to canada from elsewhere etc. What I heard was people who enjoy the fruits of the labour that the armed forces have and still provide for the people need to show some appreciation. 

"You people that come here" Could have just meant people who rise up to the status of actually being comfortable day to day (or even minute to minute if you ask a veteran how long they got to rest while being constantly shelled).

I never really got into the whole bashing the SJW or whatever (i dont even know what it stands for) but oh my goodness. Connecting dots that aren't there much? 

It's true there are a lot of folks who benefit from the tough guys in camo and in one way or another blatantly piss on the sole proprietors of their luxuries and then make a career out of being ignorant of their deeds, and then now as we are seeing even attack those who call them out for it because oh golly their freedom based on those they disrespect is being threatened. To call upon them to ONE DAY OF THE YEAR to give them a &^@#ing break....and then get fired. WOW

And just fYI i am part african, german, english, etc. To take such an obviously non-intentionally racial comment and turn it racial is absolutely disgusting and i for one am sick to my stomache. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

That CTV lady won’t be fired because nobody is really that hurt by her comments.  I think the sickos trying to drag Humboldt into it recognize this and that’s why they (disgustingly) attempt to pin it to an emotionally charged situation.  

I don’t think what she said was prudent/appropriate to say.. it’s a bad take, unproductive, needlessly inflammatory and not something that should be said.... but if conservatives weren’t doing that weird thing they like to do where they pretend to copy cancel culture (usually after something they like gets canned) nobody would have even noticed her comments.  

The overlap between the militant pro-Cherry crowd and classic partisan right-wingers/Russian agitators is pretty much a circle... thus the never ending “Trudeau” whataboutism following Cherry.  The thing is - companies know they don’t actually care enough (or were previously invested enough) to actually boycott anything.  It’s just a silly revenge game and perceived “fairness” aside, when money is on the line, the companies will almost always call BS.

It’s kinda funny that they do even though I know they aren’t doing so from ideologically aligning with me... they just know that monkey-see conservative “activism” isn’t worth the bandwidth it’s sent out upon.

• Like 1

He deserved to go out this way.

Never was a fan, I don't like s&^t talkers.

He is the type that will never say sorry as he thinks that is weak. 

I think the opposite.

Most of us have bosses to answer to. His saw this as an opportunity to bounce a dinosaur.

Enjoy retirement Don, you put your time in and I believe you loved hockey. I can thank you for that.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

she is, but i'm not buying the twitter bs about someone working 3 jobs to put toddlers on skates. Sorry Phil that one seemed fake to me. 

I can only speak from personal experience Jim, but when my youngest daughter was in figure skating, I worked two jobs to help pay for it. Does two count as "multiple"?

35 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I can only speak from personal experience Jim, but when my youngest daughter was in figure skating, I worked two jobs to help pay for it. Does two count as "multiple"?

I found the guys tweet to be hyperbolic and dramatic, and not really relevant to the Cherry situation. DIdn't mean to disparage people that actually make a choice like that.

39 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I found the guys tweet to be hyperbolic and dramatic, and not really relevant to the Cherry situation. DIdn't mean to disparage people that actually make a choice like that.

The cost of putting kids in hockey is horrible if I believe some of what my beer league teammates says. Thousands of dollars spent on travelling to tournaments all over the province.

Good thing I put my kids in basketball. New shoes every two years, annual fees under $300.

1 minute ago, Shift-4 said:

The cost of putting kids in hockey is horrible if I believe some of what my beer league teammates says. Thousands of dollars spent on travelling to tournaments all over the province.

Good thing I put my kids in basketball. New shoes every two years, annual fees under $300.

Sometimes the high costs are there to support the few actual athletes at the top of the system. My bro in law lived in West Van, put his kids into swimming for a while (ridiculous costs) and quickly learned that money went pretty much into a few kids. I've heard similar things about some of the hockey schools. 

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Sometimes the high costs are there to support the few actual athletes at the top of the system. My bro in law lived in West Van, put his kids into swimming for a while (ridiculous costs) and quickly learned that money went pretty much into a few kids. I've heard similar things about some of the hockey schools. 

Ouch

That's disturbing.

3 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Ouch

That's disturbing.

yeah he was pretty disgusted. Even more than the waste of $$ is the effect it had on his girls, hard lesson to learn young. But West Van can be a very nasty place imo, lots of bullying went on at their school by kids that knew they could do it because of their parents $$.