The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

When I watched that Coaches Corner segment, I actually agreed with Cherry, because I didn't go through his words with a fine-toothed comb. I didn't anaylze every word, to see if it was offensive. I think they were just waiting for something, anything they could use against Cherry to get him off the air. This was it. Most of the time I think Cherry is a crazy old man who makes no sense, but he speaks his truth and he's a hockey legend in Canada. I don't always agree with him, but I love his honesty. People aren't allowed to be honest anymore, for fear of hurting someone's feelings. I wouldn't be surprised if Ron McLean gets a raise, for his a**-kissery and fakeness. Good robot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 11/13/2019 at 10:55 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

People from China came here to build the railroad, some of them dying in the process, yet laid roots and embraced the country all the same becoming part of the fabric of the society.

Interesting enough there was pretty strong resistance to conscription back in 1939 from two provinces (Quebec & BC).  The later for more insidious reasons ("they" didn't want "asians" to have a chance at getting the right to vote [which they didn't have in 1939] by being drafted in the armed forces).

On 11/11/2019 at 2:57 PM, apollo said:

I used to not be a fan because it seemed like the guy had a screw or two loose... But at the end of the day he's one of the few entertaining guys left with Rogers. 

As an immigrant I have absolutely no problem with what he said. He's passionate and he wanted to raise more awareness for donations to vets. 

No reason to watch HNIC anymore. Thank God for streaming... I'll take the US broadcasts over Roger's any day of the week. 

Its really a shame he gets fired for standing up for the men that fought for our freedom. 

What a joke. I already had 0 respect for Roger's, can't really go any lower than this. 

So basically, as long as it's for a good cause, people can say whatever they want, without any accountability?

I don't think that what the worst comment he made, but I think it makes up for his past comments that went unnoticed, mainly regarding women, francophones and Europeans, its 2019 after all.

Edited by timberz21

9 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

So basically, as long as it's for a good cause, people can say whatever they want, without any accountability?

I don't think that what the worst comment he made, but I think it makes up for his past comments that went unnoticed, mainly regarding women, francophones and Europeans, its 2019 after all.

The PC police are worse than the secret police of Stalin or Hitler.  It's a terrible thing when we Canadians live in fear of how our words might be interpreted.  Cherry already said, unequivocally, that his intent was not bad, yet the PC police use their divine powers to crucify him.  It's like sending a message to all Canadians that the PC police will "get you too" if you say something they divine to have malice intent.  I cut off my "man bun" and refuse to use paper straws in protest.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The PC police are worse than the secret police of Stalin or Hitler.  It's a terrible thing when we Canadians live in fear of how our words might be interpreted.  Cherry already said, unequivocally, that his intent was not bad, yet the PC police use their divine powers to crucify him.  It's like sending a message to all Canadians that the PC police will "get you too" if you say something they divine to have malice intent.  I cut off my "man bun" and refuse to use paper straws in protest.  

Alf, that really doesn't make me want to read the rest of your posts when you say stuff like that. 

• Thanks 1