The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Wish they would fire Ron McLean as well. 

I'm kind of surprised he seems to have escaped most of this, except on social media.

In the segment with Cherry he nods his head the whole time and gives Don the thumbs up.  Later, when he addressed it in a statement the next night he claimed he 'did not catch it, did not respond', so was he not listening to Cherry the whole time while nodding and giving his thumbs up?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sbriggs said:

Your bang on, unfortunately most of the immigrants Cherry was probably talking about has come from war torn countries and have more experience then Don ever will when it comes to remembering lost or fallen solders and even innocent family members or friends. My family just returned home from our towns gathering for Remembrance Day and Myself or my family were not wearing poppy's, what does that make me to Don Cherry? I probably donated at least 1\2 a dozen times over the last two weeks or so to the poppy drive and have had many family members as well as friends fight for our country in many different wars we have fought in.

Don said “you people”.  People, like me, live really comfortable lives, because it’s easy living in our big cities.  Don was talking to me, and those of us in the big urban centres.  He was telling us to be grateful for what we have.  

9 minutes ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

Yes but the change is decided on by profit margins and the loudest in the outrage mob - this is no way to create an inclusive society.

I agree. And definitely do not like the outrage culture... As for profit margins that one will always be the case and I may be a tad bias in that regard.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Left wing, mamby pamby tree hugger SJWs, who are full of hypocrisy, are turning our great country into porridge.  Don Cherry didn’t single out anyone.  He said, “you people”.  That’s ALL OF US who live the comfortable lives we do.  I’ve said the same thing here on a number of occasions.  We are ALL hypocrites, so stop preaching about how terrible one man is, and improve yourself.  Give up your cell phones, only eat locally produced foods, and go to a military graveyard and take care of one man’s plot.  

I just hope CDC doesn’t follow the same path of self righteousness, and start banning posters who don’t quite fit the mould.  

Is this a young people vs old people thing?  

“You people … you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that,”

He was clearly singling out a very specific group of people.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Don said “you people”.  People, like me, live really comfortable lives, because it’s easy living in our big cities.  Don was talking to me, and those of us in the big urban centres.  He was telling us to be grateful for what we have.  

Your point is?

Just now, goalie13 said:

I'm kind of surprised he seems to have escaped most of this, except on social media.

In the segment with Cherry he nods his head the whole time and gives Don the thumbs up.  Later, when he addressed it in a statement the next night he claimed he 'did not catch it, did not respond', so was he not listening to Cherry the whole time while nodding and giving his thumbs up?

Could McLean’s affirmation of Cherry’s comments be because he knows Don really well, and knows him to be a good person, who is not racist?  

1 minute ago, StealthNuck said:

He was clearly singling out a very specific group of people.

He was singling out city people.  All of us who live comfortably in our condos.  It’s not about race; it’s about where we live.  He even mentioned the good people, who are grateful, that live in smaller towns.  He didn’t say “white” people.  He said Canadians.  Too many SJWs and the hypocritical types, who live in the big cities, believe they have some divine power to interpret what others are thinking.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 5