The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

No worries. I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm also not naming her on purpose.

Your first question isn't something I said nor is it my point. Your second question is merely answering your own question to a point I didn't make. It's impossible to be wrong that way. So, no wonder you're not seeing the equivalences. 

That's the problem, like in the talk show clip, the people on the panel can't see their own hypocrisy.

I agree what she said wasn’t cool - you can’t vocalize your generalization of a group (even rich, white hockey boys) based on your own experience.  Especially not on TV.

My point would be that her situation is a nothingburger and huge reach to compare it to Cherry who is national news and a worthwhile discussion topic.  She’s also paid to give her (even crappy) opinion on social issues and he’s supposed to keep it in the realm of hockey. 

Protesting the firing of Cherry by trying to get someone else fired is pure hypocrisy.  No reach needed.  

The finger pointing could go back and forth forever thanks to this now being labeled as a “Cherry vs Trudeau and CTV’s the Social” - what a silly spin.  Only on Putin’s internet. That’s what grinds my gears  the most - more tenuous whattaboutisms.

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

My mom and her parents immigrated to Canada...they heard what Cherry said, didn't ruffle their feathers or make them want him to lose his job or go ranting about it as a racist comment. Guess some cultures or races can take something with a Grain of Salt while others take offense to any little thing that can be taken the wrong way.

And as an entitled, white, sports playing bully growing up, Jess Allen’s comments didn’t bother me one iota.  

Guess anyone who got mad on that end need to give their nuts a tug, too.  

(Of course, I don’t believe this.. people will feel however they want.)

Edited by ilduce39

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We don’t execute people.  We ruin them, and make their lives a living nightmare. What’s the difference?  The result is the same, no?  Does the rest of society receive the message, and live in fear and keep their mouths shut?  Yes they do.  It’s horribly wrong.  

Even you are stating my voice is only hyperbole.  That makes it of less value, because it’s different than yours, or even the majority.  That’s totally wrong.  All opinions are important, especially the ones that are different.  

It's a good idea to expose the direction we could be heading in advance.  You're doing a great job.  We really shouldn't ignore it until people are being drug into the street at night.

I quit being a Cherry fan a long time ago, he should have been forced to retire years ago. But to humiliate an old man for stumbling over a sentence is maddening.

Edited by CareyH
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, CareyH said:

It's a good idea to expose the direction we could be heading in advance.  You're doing a great job.  We really shouldn't ignore it until people are being drug into the street at night.

I quit being a Cherry fan a long time ago, he should have been forced to retire years ago. But to humiliate an old man for stumbling over a sentence is maddening.

Totally agree.  We need to hear the voices that are critical.  I haven’t watched Cherry in years too.  I’ve never really been a big fan of his.  But, even though I may disagree with him, that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t listen, right?  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We don’t execute people.  We ruin them, and make their lives a living nightmare. What’s the difference?  The result is the same, no?  Does the rest of society receive the message, and live in fear and keep their mouths shut?  Yes they do.  It’s horribly wrong.  

Even you are stating my voice is only hyperbole.  That makes it of less value, because it’s different than yours, or even the majority.  That’s totally wrong.  All opinions are important, especially the ones that are different.  

Yes, Alf. There’s a hell of a difference between genocide and someone losing their job because they decided to say something stupid in a public forum. 

As for the rest? I could say the only reason you’re saying the things you are is because you have gossip goblins whispering them in your ear. Then, by your logic, you wouldn’t be able to say that ridiculous because it’s my opinion. See why that doesn’t hold water?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Totally agree.  We need to hear the voices that are critical.  I haven’t watched Cherry in years too.  I’ve never really been a big fan of his.  But, even though I may disagree with him, that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t listen, right?  

Well, actually, I think you don't need to listen if you don't want to .  lol

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Shouldn’t the focus of all children’s sports be fun?  

Yes, but tell that to all the parents expecting their kids to win a gold medal at the Olympics or play in the NHL, MLB, NFL or NBA. Seriously, Alf, have you ever been to a Bantam Rep game? I have and a lot of the parents are animals, literally screaming for their kids to hit that guy. I've seen parents come to blows over arguments in the stands. You are absolutely right that it should be fun, just ban parents from watching the games and the kids will figure it out on their own.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gregthehockeynut said:

Kelly Hrudey in Grapes spot in the Leafs game tonight...

Anyone on TV now is going to be extra super careful what they say.  The PC police just took down Don Cherry.  Those guys all know none of them, or anyone really, are safe.  Make one little mistake with your choice of words, and the SJWs will make your existence a living hell.  

On 11/15/2019 at 4:17 PM, Alflives said:

The PC police are worse than the secret police of Stalin or Hitler.  It's a terrible thing when we Canadians live in fear of how our words might be interpreted.  Cherry already said, unequivocally, that his intent was not bad, yet the PC police use their divine powers to crucify him.  It's like sending a message to all Canadians that the PC police will "get you too" if you say something they divine to have malice intent.  I cut off my "man bun" and refuse to use paper straws in protest.  

So you believe any prisoners that claim they are innocent?

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

So you believe any prisoners that claim they are innocent?

That’s the legal system’s job to discern truth from criminals.  That is not the common citizen’s responsibility.  If common citizens begin to divine what others are thinking, and make judgments based on those beliefs, we have anarchy.  This is the very reason why we have a judicial system.  It’s to protect us all from other common citizens deciding our fate based on their personal bias judgments.  

On 11/16/2019 at 5:42 PM, HerrDrFunk said:

Whatever. When the PC police start dragging people out of their homes in the dead of night to put them on trains to extermination camps, or just shoot them in the back of the head right there in the street, Alf might be on to something. 

Until then, it’s just ludicrous hyperbole which completely negates any point Alf was trying to make.

Time to wake up.  10-15 years ago people said the same thing about the idea of "gay marriage"; now legislation is being created to persecute non-affirmers.  Most have no idea what's coming.

• Upvote 1