The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

2 hours ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Time to wake up.  10-15 years ago people said the same thing about the idea of "gay marriage"; now legislation is being created to persecute non-affirmers.  Most have no idea what's coming.

Using gay marriage in an analogy for the atrocities of Nazis?

7F63E0D1-1213-42E4-8F58-500272153C0B.jpeg

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

That’s the legal system’s job to discern truth from criminals.  That is not the common citizen’s responsibility.  If common citizens begin to divine what others are thinking, and make judgments based on those beliefs, we have anarchy.  This is the very reason why we have a judicial system.  It’s to protect us all from other common citizens deciding our fate based on their personal bias judgments.  

That's why private (or any) corporation have HR and PR departments/policies, to protect their brand and manage their human resources inside their corporation to establish a certain structure and decorum, specifically to avoid internal anarchy and chaos.

This decision wasn't decided by a coin flip, there is multiples precedents in similar matters that justify such a decision.  

Edited by timberz21

On 11/16/2019 at 10:04 AM, riffraff said:

In line with hers and Carrillo.

i have two daughters in competitive gymnastics.  9 and 6 years of age.  Two girls have quit this year.  Coaches are tough.  The head coach has been giving my oldest grief for leaving early to go to soccer practice.  She calls her out in front of the entire group of girls .

On 11/16/2019 at 10:09 AM, Alflives said:

Shouldn’t the focus of all children’s sports be fun?  

Unfortunately, I can vouch for this. Several years ago, I had a daughter in Dance class. She told me that some of the other girls got yelled at regularly, because they missed a class, or were late because they were playing soccer.

Gymnastics, Dance...as far as these coaches are concerned, their kids shouldn't be in anything else.

When I was young, I was forever missing practices, because hockey overlapped football and football overlapped baseball. All of my coaches were cool about it.

• Cheers 1

On 11/16/2019 at 2:22 PM, ilduce39 said:

Cherry and that lady’s jobs weren’t decided by the human rights tribunal, though.  They were both business decisions 100%.  

IMO both could still be employed and it’s our job to decide whether what they said was correct or not... but letting Cherry go saves $ and obviously the opposite was true for CTV.

Maybe....but we'll have to give it some time and see if anything happens to advertising revenue between the first and second periods.

One thing I can guarantee is that whatever they decide to do moving forward, it won't be as watched as CC was.

9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Maybe....but we'll have to give it some time and see if anything happens to advertising revenue between the first and second periods.

One thing I can guarantee is that whatever they decide to do moving forward, it won't be as watched as CC was.

Imo for a year or so. After a while people will forget and move on and forget to change the channel.

On 11/14/2019 at 10:06 PM, Eli4sPetterss0n said:

Wow, just actually watched the original clip for the first time...

I dont even think what he said indefinitely means people who come to canada from elsewhere etc. What I heard was people who enjoy the fruits of the labour that the armed forces have and still provide for the people need to show some appreciation. 

"You people that come here" Could have just meant people who rise up to the status of actually being comfortable day to day (or even minute to minute if you ask a veteran how long they got to rest while being constantly shelled).

I never really got into the whole bashing the SJW or whatever (i dont even know what it stands for) but oh my goodness. Connecting dots that aren't there much? 

It's true there are a lot of folks who benefit from the tough guys in camo and in one way or another blatantly piss on the sole proprietors of their luxuries and then make a career out of being ignorant of their deeds, and then now as we are seeing even attack those who call them out for it because oh golly their freedom based on those they disrespect is being threatened. To call upon them to ONE DAY OF THE YEAR to give them a &^@#ing break....and then get fired. WOW

And just fYI i am part african, german, english, etc. To take such an obviously non-intentionally racial comment and turn it racial is absolutely disgusting and i for one am sick to my stomache. 

What's sad is the only people I know who got offended are white Canadians who are 3rd to 6 generation Canadian. English, Jewish,  3 Asian and a Dutch friend don't find it offensive one bit. 

On 11/14/2019 at 10:06 PM, Eli4sPetterss0n said:

Wow, just actually watched the original clip for the first time...

I dont even think what he said indefinitely means people who come to canada from elsewhere etc. What I heard was people who enjoy the fruits of the labour that the armed forces have and still provide for the people need to show some appreciation. 

"You people that come here" Could have just meant people who rise up to the status of actually being comfortable day to day (or even minute to minute if you ask a veteran how long they got to rest while being constantly shelled).

I never really got into the whole bashing the SJW or whatever (i dont even know what it stands for) but oh my goodness. Connecting dots that aren't there much? 

It's true there are a lot of folks who benefit from the tough guys in camo and in one way or another blatantly piss on the sole proprietors of their luxuries and then make a career out of being ignorant of their deeds, and then now as we are seeing even attack those who call them out for it because oh golly their freedom based on those they disrespect is being threatened. To call upon them to ONE DAY OF THE YEAR to give them a &^@#ing break....and then get fired. WOW

And just fYI i am part african, german, english, etc. To take such an obviously non-intentionally racial comment and turn it racial is absolutely disgusting and i for one am sick to my stomache. 

What's sad is the only people I know who got offended are white Canadians who are 3rd to 6 generation Canadian. English, Jewish,  3 Asian and a Dutch friend don't find it offensive one bit. 

25 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Unfortunately, I can vouch for this. Several years ago, I had a daughter in Dance class. She told me that some of the other girls got yelled at regularly, because they missed a class, or were late because they were playing soccer.

Gymnastics, Dance...as far as these coaches are concerned, their kids shouldn't be in anything else.

When I was young, I was forever missing practices, because hockey overlapped football and football overlapped baseball. All of my coaches were cool about it.

All coaches in kids sports should be supportive of being active regardless of the activity .  Coaching is more than just teaching one skill/sport.  It involves building up people.  

that takes the right people.

• Upvote 1

I'll add to what @Ryan Strome posted above:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/were-hurt-says-former-nhler-terry-ryan-on-don-cherry-controversy/ar-BBWWnQ1?li=AAggNb9

"Most of us are in the middle and we're hurt," Ryan said.

"This is a legend. This is someone that we love. A lot of us grew up taking Don Cherry at his word and loving him. He's Canada. He's part of our Canadian being."

Ryan said a memory that came to mind amid the controversy was back in one of his first game in Montreal for the Canadiens, when Cherry took him aside for a chat.

As a locker room "oddball" and jokester, Ryan said he was known for trying to make his teammates laugh in an effort to unite them as a team.

Ryan remembers Cherry telling him to use those traits for good.

"Don Cherry called me aside after and said our game is going through a change … there's a lot more minorities in the game than there ever has been, there's a lot more Europeans than there has been, there's guys on your team that don't know English that well," Ryan said.

"He said you need to be there for them and hockey is becoming more united as time goes by."

The Cherry he met in that context, Ryan said, doesn't fit with the vilified person he's seeing on social media.

Doesn't really square with the "bigot" narrative, does it?

What I take away from this, is that it's possible to say something hurtful, (especially if you're an opinionated 85 year-old) and not be a racist at heart. 

Cherry has crossed various lines in almost 40 years of CC, but my personal opinion is that he truly cares about Service men and women and this was a cowardly act by Sportsnet.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

In reading over 60 pages of this thread, I've seen several posters who "stopped being Don Cherry fans" at some point. (I guess everyone has their own tipping point)

Personally, I never will.

While it's true that Grapes has said many things over the years that made me SMH, I also recall the1987 World Junior Tournament. I watched Brian WIlliams attempting to vilify a bunch of Canadian teenagers for what he called a "disgraceful" performance.

Now, while a bench clearing brawl is never something to be proud of, anyone who has played the game at any kind of high level understands that you never leave your teammates outnumbered in a brawl. It's baked into our DNA as hockey players and not even a coach as physically imposing as Pat Quinn would have been able to keep those kids on the bench to watch their brothers get beat up by the Soviets.

For weeks afterward, we heard commentator after commentator (including Bernie Pascall) criticize the players and the coaches for costing team Canada the gold. The one guy who was unwavering in standing up for them was Don Cherry.

• Upvote 1