The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

On 11/11/2019 at 1:05 PM, Alflives said:

He was singling out city people.  All of us who live comfortably in our condos.  It’s not about race; it’s about where we live.  He even mentioned the good people, who are grateful, that live in smaller towns.  He didn’t say “white” people.  He said Canadians.  Too many SJWs and the hypocritical types, who live in the big cities, believe they have some divine power to interpret what others are thinking.  

On 11/11/2019 at 1:12 PM, xereau said:

They don't own the media or dominate entire news cycles, or have representatives who push their ideals into law, either.

Far left insanity has become a real problem, and it is 1,000,000x more prevalent than anything from the right.

PC authoritarianism has become ubiquitous with culture.

thanks for saying this. 

i see nothing racist at all in what mr cherry said

the reaction to his comments however...

• Like 1

On 11/11/2019 at 1:46 PM, Fateless said:

No one is being "thought police". Don's words were crystal clear. "You people" come here and take "our milk and honey". Don clearly created a segregation between people like him (read: non-immigrant Canadian) and people not like him (read: immigrant Canadians) and suggested that it is the immigrants who are not supporting our veterans and buying poppies. 

1) There is no evidence to support his claims. 

2) The comment is clearly racist. If Don didn't mean what those words clearly say, then he should have been fired anyways because you can't just say sh*t on national television without being mindful of your words. 

It doesn't matter if Don didn't mean to be racist (which I doubt because he's been racist and misogynistic countless times before this). What Don said WAS racist. And you get fired for saying racist sh*t on national television.

your quote is wrong he never said take, that was a fake news headline that blew up

is every single person on the streets of toronto an immigrant?

The segregation you are talking about was in no way created by dons comments it was manufactured after the fact in a coordinated smear campaign.

All your examples of racism are your interpretation of what he said meant something different

no one is being thought police --  he should have been fired because you can't just speak your mind

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Unfortunately, I can vouch for this. Several years ago, I had a daughter in Dance class. She told me that some of the other girls got yelled at regularly, because they missed a class, or were late because they were playing soccer.

Gymnastics, Dance...as far as these coaches are concerned, their kids shouldn't be in anything else.

When I was young, I was forever missing practices, because hockey overlapped football and football overlapped baseball. All of my coaches were cool about it.

3 hours ago, riffraff said:

All coaches in kids sports should be supportive of being active regardless of the activity .  Coaching is more than just teaching one skill/sport.  It involves building up people.  

that takes the right people.

While I 100% agree that coaches shouldn't be yelling and singling out kids publicly in instances like the above, I also think the parents should, on behalf of the kids, not enroll them in too many activities that stretch them out too thin, and thus, make it so that they are late or miss out on the next activity. This not only ensures that they are not giving 100% to said activity, it also sets them up to fail in the future as adults. As parents, part of our responsibility is to teach our kids to multitask, but not fall short and let those down around us. It happens daily in our jobs that we have to juggle many balls and not miss deadlines. There's no excuse for not getting something done.

So, if parents enroll their kids in 3-4 activities, on top of school, you're setting them up to fall short. And, coaches of those sports, while again I 100% agree shouldn't be yelling at those kids, also want to have kids that are 100% there (both mentally and on-time). If not, you are taking up another kid's spot and only letting yourself down. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

While I 100% agree that coaches shouldn't be yelling and singling out kids publicly in instances like the above, I also think the parents should, on behalf of the kids, not enroll them in too many activities that stretch them out too thin, and thus, make it so that they are late or miss out on the next activity. This not only ensures that they are not giving 100% to said activity, it also sets them up to fail in the future as adults. As parents, part of our responsibility is to teach our kids to multitask, but not fall short and let those down around us. It happens daily in our jobs that we have to juggle many balls and not miss deadlines. There's no excuse for not getting something done.

So, if parents enroll their kids in 3-4 activities, on top of school, you're setting them up to fall short. And, coaches of those sports, while again I 100% agree shouldn't be yelling at those kids, also want to have kids that are 100% there (both mentally and on-time). If not, you are taking up another kid's spot and only letting yourself down. 

I can only speak from personal experience, but my parents never pushed into participating in any activity. I wanted to do them all. (I also played on the school basketball and volleyball teams)

Also, I think "3 or 4" activities is a bit misleading. It's generally a couple of sports that overlap. For instance, Hockey season started before football season ended, but I wasn't playing baseball until well after Football was done.

15 minutes ago, Monty said:

Great points Monty.  I do agree.  In this case one of my daughters is in two sports.  Gymnastics and soccer.  It just happens that she is in the competitive streams in both so some days overlap.

she loves doing both so I guess we’ll have to roll with it for now. 

51 minutes ago, 4thLineGrinder said:

your quote is wrong he never said take, that was a fake news headline that blew up

is every single person on the streets of toronto an immigrant?

The segregation you are talking about was in no way created by dons comments it was manufactured after the fact in a coordinated smear campaign.

All your examples of racism are your interpretation of what he said meant something different

no one is being thought police --  he should have been fired because you can't just speak your mind

And the long arm of nastiness from the PC and SJW power groups extends to anyone who publicly supports Cherry too.  Bobby Orr is the only public person with the courage to support his friend.  Even posters on CDC, a nothing little fan site that has zero influence, are attacked, and dehumanized if our opinion does not fit the PC and SJW narrative. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Thanks for this Ryan. Pretty upsetting when i bunch of losers can cast Cherry out without a second thought. The Legion should be the most embarrassed. My hope is that some network will do a Cherry night and have all his friends like Orr and Gretzky sit around and pay homage. They did one years ago in Saskatchewan for Gordie Howe. Cherry never had a lot of success outside of the AHL but fans should never forget how good that league was back in the Original Six era. Huge number of NHL quality players who never got a look. What Cherry did in media was not only explain the game but told a lot of great stories. He brought Canadians together no matter what the talking heads are saying. Cherry visiting troops in combat does not surprise me for a moment.   

How many of the PC police and SJWs would go to a war zone, like Don Cherry did, to support our troops?  And I'm betting Don didn't care the skin colour of the soldiers either, or if they were new to Canada.  He was there to let them know there are a lot of Canadians (old and new) who appreciate what the troops are doing.  PC and SJWs are such hypocrites!  Get out and take care of a veteran's grave.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How many of the PC police and SJWs would go to a war zone, like Don Cherry did, to support our troops?  And I'm betting Don didn't care the skin colour of the soldiers either, or if they were new to Canada.  He was there to let them know there are a lot of Canadians (old and new) who appreciate what the troops are doing.  PC and SJWs are such hypocrites!  Get out and take care of a veteran's grave.  

Is that something you do?

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Is that something you do?

If it's too difficult to tend to a grave then: How about go to a legion and support the troops that way?  How about tell a police officer you appreciate them?  How about waving nicely to a fireman?

It's not about what I do; it's about what those PC police and SJW's do to show they aren't just hypocrites who only want power and control over the freedoms we Canadians currently have.  

Or do the PC police and SJWs simply hate the military and the police and those who risk their welfare to protect us?

And yes, I do.  My father fought in WWII.  His brother didn't come back, but has a headstone beside my dad's.  This is very sensitive issue with many Canadians, regardless of when our families came here.  We are all living our comfortable lives because those who came before us built this country with their blood, sweat, and tears.  There are many new Canadians who also serve, either in the military or in the police or fire departments.  It's seems it's the PC police and the SJWs who want to attack anyone who doesn't agree with their agenda.    

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If it's too difficult to tend to a grave then: How about go to a legion and support the troops that way?  How about tell a police officer you appreciate them?  How about waving nicely to a fireman?

It's not about what I do; it's about what those PC police and SJW's do to show they aren't just hypocrites who only want power and control over the freedoms we Canadians currently have.  

Or do the PC police and SJWs simply hate the military and the police and those who risk their welfare to protect us?

And yes, I do.  My father fought in WWII.  His brother didn't come back, but has a headstone beside my dad's.  This is very sensitive issue with many Canadians, regardless of when our families came here.  We are all living our comfortable lives because those who came before us built this country with their blood, sweat, and tears.  There are many new Canadians who also serve, either in the military or in the police or fire departments.  It's seems it's the PC police and the SJWs who want to attack anyone who doesn't agree with their agenda.    

Good on ya!

If someone wants to support the military, police or fire department or not, that's their right as a Canadian. 

You're not under attack if I disagree with your posts and point out where I feel you're doing yourself a disservice with some of your rhetoric though. 

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

we owe a debt to a lot of groups. Even if you didn't go to war, you had to be pretty brave to dig a farm out of stubble on your own in near total isolation over 100 years ago. Or be a railway worker. Or just be brave enough to start a new life knowing you might never see your family again. There's a big debt we owe all over.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we owe a debt to a lot of groups. Even if you didn't go to war, you had to be pretty brave to dig a farm out of stubble on your own in near total isolation over 100 years ago. Or be a railway worker. Or just be brave enough to start a new life knowing you might never see your family again. There's a big debt we owe all over.

Exactly.  How many new Canadians gave up okay lives in their original homelands to come here and go backwards, so their children and children's' children could go forwards?  I hear that's often the case with the newest of Canadians now a days.  It's about being respectful to those who sacrifice for the betterment of all of us.  And not about policing people's speech or if they are supporting the right political party.   

• Cheers 1

The irony in this thread is so hilarious. So many Conservative leaning Cherry supporters are so offended that Cherry was fired for his words that they've turned into the special snowflakes they've always criticized Liberal leaning supporters for being. Too busy dropping inflammatory comments and name-calling with "SJW" and "thought police" that they haven't even realized that Cherry's firing is simply the free market at work just like Conservative leaning politics has always promoted. Cherry is and always has been a bigoted dinosaur. He got fired because he no longer represents the demographic that Sportsnet is targeting, nor does he represent the average Canadian. The world has moved on from Cherry and his ilk. In fact, he should have been removed a decade ago. Get over it.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exactly.  How many new Canadians gave up okay lives in their original homelands to come here and go backwards, so their children and children's' children could go forwards?  I hear that's often the case with the newest of Canadians now a days.  It's about being respectful to those who sacrifice for the betterment of all of us.  And not about policing people's speech or if they are supporting the right political party.   

Canadas the best place in the world thanks to the immigrant work ethic, I really believe that. 

Don did say something dumb. A lot of good people felt like he was taking dump on them or their immigrant story. I just wish he would have made a proper apology and he could have kept his job. 

5 minutes ago, Fateless said:

The irony in this thread is so hilarious. So many Conservative leaning Cherry supporters are so offended that Cherry was fired for his words that they've turned into the special snowflakes they've always criticized Liberal leaning supporters for being. Too busy dropping inflammatory comments and name-calling with "SJW" and "thought police" that they haven't even realized that Cherry's firing is simply the free market at work just like Conservative leaning politics has always promoted. Cherry is and always has been a bigoted dinosaur. He got fired because he no longer represents the demographic that Sportsnet is targeting, nor does he represent the average Canadian. The world has moved on from Cherry and his ilk. In fact, he should have been removed a decade ago. Get over it.

Interesting point of view.  Do the people who support Don Cherry, and the right to all of us to have our freedom of expression laws stay in place to protect us all, want to silence the PC police and the SJWs?  No those people don't.  Those who support our freedom of expression laws believe those with whom we don't agree have the right to be heard too.  That's the difference.  As for Cherry, I too thought he was well beyond his best before date, and should have been replaced years ago.  It's not about that though.  It's about the fear so many have now to speak their minds and opinions that concerns many.  We should encourage ideas; not the opposite. 

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Interesting point of view.  Do the people who support Don Cherry, and the right to all of us to have our freedom of expression laws stay in place to protect us all, want to silence the PC police and the SJWs?  No those people don't.  Those who support our freedom of expression laws believe those with whom we don't agree have the right to be heard too.  That's the difference.  As for Cherry, I too thought he was well beyond his best before date, and should have been replaced years ago.  It's not about that though.  It's about the fear so many have now to speak their minds and opinions that concerns many.  We should encourage ideas; not the opposite. 

totally agree with that bolded part. But that doesn't come without responsibility. Don messed up, didn't make it right. His company fired him. Free speech as a legal thing never entered into this.

The only people politicizing this are groups like the one from the tweet that @Ryan Strome posted above. Thats a paid political advertiser, not a veterans group putting that out there. And btw, why would I care if Don visited US troops? wth does that have to do with anything? 

• Upvote 1